ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day
77°
Partly Cloudy
H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    77°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    91°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 93° L 79°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

The Latest News Headlines

  • The Nevada Parole Board voted unanimously Thursday to grant former football star O.J. Simpson parole in his 2008 conviction on charges including kidnapping and armed robbery.  >> Read more trending news Simpson is expected to leave the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada this fall after nine years behind bars, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. The decision came down Thursday after Simpson, 70, spoke before the Nevada Parole Board, telling the four-person panel he was remorseful for his actions in 2007. “I haven’t made any excuses in the nine years I’ve been here, and I’m not trying to make an excuse now,” he said. Simpson was sentenced to 33 years behind bars for his part in a 2007 armed robbery at a Las Vegas hotel room. He was found guilty on a dozen charges, including kidnapping. Simpson claimed he confronted a pair of memorabilia collectors, Bruce Fromong and Alfred Beardsley, in 2007 in an attempt to recover items that had been stolen from him, according to The Associated Press. Among the mementos and memorabilia he hoped to recover were family photos and his first wife’s wedding ring. Fromong spoke Thursday in favor of Simpson’s release and said he and Simpson had long ago made peace. “We all make mistakes,” Fromong said. “O.J. made his. He’s been here and from what I’ve been told he’s been a model inmate. He’s been an example to others.” Simpson had no disciplinary issues while behind bars and took numerous classes, according to testimony before the parole board. Simpson said he took a conflict resolution course that made a particular impact on him and said he had been called in to mediate issues between other inmates at the Lovelock Correction Center. Nevada Board of Parole commissioner Susan Jackson held up thick stacks of letters at Thursday’s hearing, some of the hundreds of letters she said the board had received from Simpson’s supporters and detractors. Many of the letters mentioned Simpson’s 1995 acquittal in the murder of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown, and her friend, Ron Goldman. Jackson said the case would not be considered in Thursday’s deliberations. Parole board commissioner Connie Bisbee said Simpson has plans to resettle in Florida, where he was living before his 2008 conviction. Officials in Florida said in a statement that “if Nevada’s request meets all criteria, Florida must accept the transfer.” “As is the case with any offender who transfers under this routine procedure, he will be assigned a Florida probation officer and will be supervised in accordance with the conditions of his parole,” said Michelle Glady, director of communications for the Florida Department of Corrections. Simpson in 2013 was granted parole on the armed robbery conviction. Thursday’s hearing addressed the other 11 charges from his 2008 conviction, according to USA Today. Simpson, a former football running back who has appeared in nearly two dozen movies and television shows, was found not guilty of murder in 1995 after Brown and Goldman were found stabbed to death outside Brown’s Los Angeles townhouse. The case, which captivated TV audiences around the globe, was dubbed the “Trial of the Century.”
  • Smash and grab in the St. Johns Town Center area. The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is working to identify a suspect who committed an auto burglary around the popular shopping and entertainment plaza on the Southside. Surveillance video released by police shows the suspect vehicle- which appears to be a newer model black Dodge Caravan- park next to the victim vehicle. An unknown black male gets out of the rear passenger side of the van, breaks the driver’s side window of the victim’s vehicle, and reaches in. The suspect then gets back in the van and leaves.  The information provided by JSO so far does not indicate where in the Town Center this incident occurred, or when. We’re working to gather more information.  If you have any information about the suspect or this incident, you’re asked to contact JSO at 904-630-0500 or JSOCrimeTips@jaxsheriff.org. You can also submit an anonymous tip and be eligible for a possible reward by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.
  • The man accused of robbing a Northside bank and holding hostages last December, has been declared incompetent to stand trial, according to new court documents we've obtained.   The documents show Nicholas Humphrey, who was set to face a judge in January, was found to meet the criteria for involuntary hospitalization.   Humphrey is charged with 13 counts of kidnapping with a weapon, one count of armed robbery, and one count of grand theft auto.   He previously entered 'not guilty' pleas.
  • A Jacksonville man will spend 30 years in prison for paying tens of thousands of dollars to foreign nationals for “sex shows” involving very young children. 49-year-old Justin Laurence McKinley sent $31,415 through 100 electronic transfers to people who would molest children while suspects were watching. Court records show McKinley paid for these “sex shows” over several years, including making requests during live video sessions for what sexual abuse the person with the child should perform on the victim. Prosecutors say the victims were between newborn and 8-years-old.  The FBI’s investigation of the website involved started in 2015. Several individuals in a foreign country were molesting young children to broadcast these “sex shows”, according to prosecutors, and those individuals have been arrested. Investigators found McKinley had been paying to view the live streams.  When federal law enforcement served a search warrant on McKinley’s home in May 2016, they found 600 videos and 6,500 images of sexual abuse of children on his computer.  In addition to his sentence of 30 years in prison, McKinley has been ordered to serve a life term of supervision and he will register as a sex offender.
  • A 3-year-old boy vacationing with his family in the Florida Keys died after he wandered off and ended up in a canal, according to news reports. >> Read more trending news The family had arrived at Key Colony Beach near Marathon on Saturday evening after traveling from their home in Gainesville, Georgia, the Miami Herald reported. While they were unpacking, Andrew Williams got out of the home they were renting and headed toward a canal, the paper said. A neighbor started screaming when she found him in the water around 6:45 p.m. The neighbor’s husband pulled Andrew out, and by then his parents, Erica and Jeffrey Williams, arrived, according to a Monroe County Sheriff’s Office report obtained by the Miami Herald.  The boy’s father started to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation on his son until Marathon Fire-Rescue paramedics arrived and took over, the report said.  Andrew was taken to a hospital where he died just before 10 p.m., according to officials. Read more at the Miami Herald

The Latest News Videos