ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
69°
Partly Cloudy
H 68° L 49°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 68° L 49°
  • cloudy-day
    50°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 68° L 49°
  • clear-day
    70°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 73° L 54°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Entertainment
Ron Howard to direct new Beatles documentary
Close

Ron Howard to direct new Beatles documentary

Ron Howard to direct new Beatles documentary
Photo Credit: Alberto E. Rodriguez
BEVERLY HILLS, CA - JANUARY 19: Producer-director Ron Howard attends the 25th annual Producers Guild of America Awards at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on January 19, 2014 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images)

Ron Howard to direct new Beatles documentary

Attention, Beatles fans — there's going to be another documentary featuring the iconic band. (Via Getty Images)

Apple Corps Ltd., White Horse Pictures and Imagine Entertainment announced Wednesday they will produce a film based on the touring years of the Beatles' career — between 1960 and 1966.

And award-winning director and lifelong Beatles fan Ron Howard is on board to direct the new movie, which will be the first official Beatles film since "Let It Be" was released in 1970. (Via YouTube / Larry King)

Howard told Billboard shortly after the announcement: "What's so intriguing to me is not only the subject, but the context we can bring to it now. Not only can we do a study of these touring years, the narrative of an odyssey, we can look at the significance of the Beatles as individuals. Dramatically it makes a lot of sense and cinematically, we have a chance to offer a unique experience."

According to Variety, Howard plans to explore why and how the Beatles became so popular by diving into "the era's social and political context."

And he reportedly plans to include a lot of concert footage — even some videos shot on movie cameras by fans. When it's all said and done, Howard says he wants between 12 and 20 songs in the film. (Via YouTube / The Beatles)

As The New York Times points out, he'll have tons of video to choose from, thanks to One Voice One World — a small company that's been inviting fans to send in clips of Beatles home movies and photos.

On Twitter, many shared their excitement and high hopes for the movie.

Even Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison are on board and have reportedly offered their "full cooperation." (Via Getty ImagesGetty ImagesGetty ImagesGetty Images)

No word on a title or exact release date for the film. But Howard says he hopes to have it in theaters by late 2015.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • They believe he was hit by a car Thanksgiving night and left to die. The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is investigating after a man's body was found in a ditch along Bowden Road on the Southside, early Friday morning.  At this time, JSO hasn't released his identity, but they say the man was in his 40's.  Police say they don't know of any witnesses. There's also no suspect information at this point.
  • British police said they were responding to reports of an incident at the Oxford Circus subway station, one of London’s busiest, Friday evening. >> Read more trending news
  • At least 184 people were killed and 125 were injured Friday when Islamist militants exploded a bomb and opened fire on people attending prayers at an Egyptian mosque in the northern section of Sinai, Reuters reported. >> Read more trending news The attack targeted Al Rawdah mosque in Bir Al-Abed, the Egyptian state-owned news agency MENA reported. No group has claimed responsibility for the assault, so far. State media showed images of bloodied victims and bodies covered in blankets inside the Al Rawdah mosque in Bir al-Abed, west of the city of El Arish. “They were shooting at people as they left the mosque,” a local resident, whose relatives were at the scene, told Reuters. “They were shooting at the ambulances, too.”
  • We're still damp this morning, with some mist and fog early.  Gradually the rain is expected to end and CBS 47/Fox 30 Action News Jax Chief Meteorologist Mike Buresh says skies will clear.   Thursday saw a tremendous amount of rain.  “Unofficial reports of as much as 6’’ in the St. Augustine area, pretty widespread rainfall of 2-5’’ for parts of Clay and St. Johns County and even into southeastern Duval County”, Buresh said.  Mike says we'll gradually see skies clear through the day and by tonight.   That sets up a really nice, dry weekend with temps in the low 70's. LISTEN:  Mike Buresh Weather Podcast
  • UPDATE Friday morning:  Logan Mott’s mother has posted a heartfelt message on Facebook, pleading for a safe return of her 15-year-old son and his grandmother, Kristina French.  UPDATE 11/23/17 5:40 PM: The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says there’s no new information to release. ORIGINAL STORY: A missing child alert has been issued for 15-year-old Logan Mott out of Neptune Beach.  The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Jacksonville Police believe Logan is in the company of his grandmother, 53-year-old Kristina French.  The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says firearms are missing from a home they are associated with. Our partners at Action News Jax spoke with Logan’s mother who says the home that had the firearms looked like it had been ransacked.  The two are believed to traveling in a 2015 silver Dodge Dart with Florida tag D-L-L-T-4-2.  JSO says with the firearms missing, you should not approach them if you see them. You are asked to call 911. This is a developing story, check back for more updates. 

The Latest News Videos