Posted: 10:05 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 22, 2013
By Rick Couri
A cat named Rory survived ingesting rat poison after a resourceful veterinarian used blood from a Labrador to save its life.
Rory ate the poison last week and owner Kim Edwards took him quickly to veterinarian Kate Heller told her there was no cat blood available and the animal would die if they waited for some to arrive.
So Heller quickly told Edwards they needed dog blood.
"I hadn't heard about it or read about it. It's not in any textbook. People are going to think it sounds pretty dodgy," Heller told 3News in New Zealand.
The doc called a friend who brought Macy, the Tauranga Labrador to the office and the dog donated 120ml of blood, saving Rory’s life.
Heller explained "cats don't reject dog blood because they don't have antibodies that do so, meaning a cross-species transfusion could buy a feline enough time to regenerate its own blood cells.”
Rory is doing great and Edwards confirms her cat is a not acting like a dog.
"He is not out fetching the newspaper or peeing on power poles or barking yet! He is just the normal cat that we have, playful, friendly."