ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
73°
Thunderstorms
H 83° L 74°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    73°
    Current Conditions
    Thunderstorms. H 83° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    83°
    Afternoon
    Thunderstorms. H 83° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    78°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 83° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Doctors: Clinton should recover fully from clot

Medical experts say Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is extremely lucky that her medical team found the blood clot they are now treating with blood thinners.

The rare clot in a vein between her brain and skull was discovered during a follow-up exam Sunday, weeks after she reportedly sustained a concussion following a fall in her home during a bout of stomach flu.

The experts agreed that Clinton’s clot could have threatened her life if it had been missed during the routine exam.

Q & A

Where is Secretary Clinton’s blood clot exactly?

The clot is in a vein between her brain and skull behind her right ear. The bleeding was reportedly contained within the vein, and there was no bleeding within the brain, which could have led to stroke or brain damage.

So why was the clot so dangerous if left untreated?

If the clot had grown large enough to cause a major blockage of blood, it could have led to serious swelling and even death, says Keith Black, MD, who is head of neurosurgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

“I think Secretary Clinton is very lucky that this clot was caught early and treated early,” he says.

How rare are these blood clots?

Blood clots occurring in the legs are very common, especially among older people, but clots occurring in the head are pretty rare, says Jack Ansell, MD, who chairs the Department of Medicine at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. Ansell says the clots occur in about 1 in 100,000 people and that women experience them about three times more often than men.

Ansell suspects that Clinton’s fall-related head injury along with flu-related dehydration caused her blood clot.

“I would have to assume that if she didn’t fall and hit her head this would not have happened,” he says.

Secretary Clinton had a previous blood clot in the 1990s. Could the earlier clot be related to the new one?

Both doctors agree that it could. In 1998, when Bill Clinton was in his second term as president, then first lady had a deep vein clot behind her right knee. Some people do have a genetic predisposition to develop blood clots, but it is not publicly known if Hillary Clinton is one of these people.

Isn’t it dangerous to treat someone who has sustained a concussion with blood thinners?

It is true that brain bleeds are a concern following a blow to the head, and that blood thinners like the anti-coagulant Coumadin (warfarin) increase the risk for bleeding. But Black says Secretary Clinton’s brain has undoubtedly healed enough in the three weeks since her fall to allow safe treatment with the clot-targeting drugs.

“At this point enough time has elapsed between the fall and the use of blood thinners so that I would not worry about this,” he says.

What’s next for Secretary Clinton?

Both doctors expect her to be out of the hospital as soon as her blood-thinning medications have been regulated, and she will be followed closely by her medical team while she is on them. That could be a few months or longer. After that, both doctors say she should require no further special medical care involving the clot.

“I would expect her to make a full recovery,” Ansell says.

SOURCES: Jack Ansell, MD, chair of the Department of Medicine at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.Keith Black, MD, head of neurosurgery at Cedar Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

© 2013 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • The most recent robbery was late Monday night in the Sans Souci area when a clerk was shot at On the Rocks Liquor Store. Jacksonville Police says the clerk was shot in the upper right arm and was taken to Memorial Hospital, and is listed in stable condition.  The shooter is still on the run and was last seen going east on University Boulevard with a small handgun. He is described to be a black man around 5’8”. He was wearing a black hat, black shirt, and red shorts. The suspect is also considered armed and dangerous, and if you spot him call the police.  The second robbery was reported at the Smokin Aces Tattoo and Games located on Emerson Street on Friday, June 23rd.  JSO says an employee was shot several times in his back during the robbery. The unknown suspected and entered the business and demanded money.  There is no suspect description for the Friday robbery and it is also unclear what was taken.
  • An Ohio police department hopes that an accidental shooting of an 8-year-old boy will serve as a warning to other parents about safe gun storage. Last week, an 8-year-old and a 6-year-old found a loaded gun in the basement of a Mount Vernon home and started playing with it, according to Columbus police and Raw Story. >> Guns kill nearly 1,300 children a year in U.S., study finds That gun went off, wounding the 8-year-old in the arm. The boy is expected to make a full recovery at Children’s Hospital. Police said a “third party” took the gun from the home before officers arrived.  >> Read more trending news No charges have been filed at this time, authorities said. Columbus police shared information about the incident on social media. 'PLEASE LOCK UP GUNS – We're posting this incident to raise awareness & educate the public,' the department wrote. >> See it here Guns are present in one in three American homes with children in them, according to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute. The Washington Post reports that, on average, two children are incidentally shot by mishandling firearms every week.
  • A 17-year-old teen has been charged with first-degree involuntary manslaughter after running over and killing another teen while high on psychedelic mushrooms. KSHB reported that, according to a probable cause statement, Jacob David Mustoe told police that he was high on mushrooms on Sunday morning when he crashed into a house in Kansas City, Missouri. >> Read more trending news The Kansas City Star reported that Mustoe got into an argument with Jake A. Wehmeyer, 17, while visiting Wehmeyer’s house with two other friends. The argument, according to court documents, led to Mustoe and Wehmeyer throwing items, including billiard balls, at each other. KCTV reported Wehmeyer’s parents were out of town and Wehmeyer and his 14-year-old brother were left at home. Mustoe reportedly told police he left the house, walked to his own home and got into his car, then aimed it at Wehmeyer’s house and drove into a neighbor’s yard.  Police were called to the area around 4 a.m. Sunday, where they fould a vehicle driven through a closed garage door of a house, KCTV reported. According to court documents, Mustoe said he did it because he was high on mushrooms. The documents also said he told police he thought “everything would be OK” and that he saw Wehmeyer in a neighbor's yard telling him to slow down. Wehmeyer was found dead at the scene and was partially under the vehicle. Mustoe left the home and ran to his own house, where he contacted his mother, took a shower and changed his clothes. The Kansas City Star reported that police arrived at Mustoe’s home and found that he had injuries consistent with the crash. He was arrested after being taken to a hospital for minor injury treatment. Mustoe has a $200,000 bond.
  • Hours after the release of a Congressional Budget Office review of a Republican health care bill in the Senate, GOP leaders on Monday night found themselves on the defensive, as a small group of Senate Republicans indicated they might not even vote this week to start debate on the GOP health bill, let alone support the final product. “CBO says 22 million people lose insurance,” said Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), who made clear the GOP plans to reduce Medicaid spending by $772 billion over ten years was unacceptable in her home state. Collins was joined by several other Republicans in publicly saying that without changes, they are not ready to begin debate this week: I want to work w/ my GOP & Dem colleagues to fix the flaws in ACA. CBO analysis shows Senate bill won't do it. I will vote no on mtp. 1/3 — Sen. Susan Collins (@SenatorCollins) June 26, 2017 Mike Lee's spokesman tells me: 'Lee will not vote to proceed to a bill he can't support.'https://t.co/eGe2fSyA09 — John McCormack (@McCormackJohn) June 26, 2017 Ron Johnson on the motion to proceed to the GOP health care bill: 'I would highly doubt I would support it.' — Frank Thorp V (@frankthorp) June 26, 2017 Also ready to vote against the “motion to proceed” to the health care bill – Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), and Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV). Democrats meanwhile used speeches on the Senate floor – and social media outside on the steps of the Capitol – to make their argument that the GOP bill should be shelved immediately. Ummm…people streaming to the Capitol. Crowd getting bigger and bigger and bigger. #HealthcareBill pic.twitter.com/SKnjQtzrBh — Chris Murphy (@ChrisMurphyCT) June 27, 2017 The original plan had been for the Senate to vote on Tuesday to begin debate on the GOP health care bill, with a final vote expected on Thursday or Friday – but that timeline seemed to be on hold for the time being. Earlier on Monday, the Congressional Budget Office found that the plan would mean 22 million fewer people would have health insurance by 2026, not much different than the estimates for a similar bill that was approved by the House in early May. The CBO report found that of the 22 million – 15 million would lose insurance coverage from changes to the Medicaid program, while another 7 million people would lose coverage because of changes in the nongroup and individual insurance marketplaces. The CBO review had good news on the money front for the GOP, as the plan would save an estimated $321 billion over ten years on the federal deficit, spending $1.022 trillion less than current law, while reducing federal tax revenues by $701 billion from 2017-2026. The White House derided the CBO report, arguing their estimates have never been close; meanwhile, the President was doing what he could do from the sidelines to try to sway Republicans to his side. “He made several calls to multiple Senators to hear their concerns and get their ideas, and understand where they’re at and what needs to get done,” said White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer. But with Republicans only able to lose two votes, GOP leaders were struggling to keep the GOP health bill on track in the Senate.
  • A 14-year-old girl, who fell 25 feet from a gondola ride at Six Flags Great Escape in Queensbury, New York, Saturday night was at fault, according to authorities. Warren County sheriff's Lt. Steven Stockdale said “human error” by the teenager caused her to slip under the metal safety bar, The Post-Star of Glen Falls reported. >> Read more trending news The girl dangled briefly before falling from the “Sky Ride” as a group of park guests gathered under the stopped attraction to catch her. The teenager from Delaware was on the ride with her brother when she fell from the two-person car, the Warren County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.  The ride was stopped after the operator was told of a rider in distress, CBS reported. Video of the incident shows the girl slipping through the safety bar, which briefly held her aloft while she dangled in the air. The teen struck a tree before landing in the crowd, which had gathered to catch her. She was treated at the park, then taken to an area hospital. >> Related: Girl, 11, dies after falling out of ride at water park Park officials said the ride was working properly. “There does not appear to be any malfunction of the ride, but we have closed the attraction until the a thorough review can be completed,” USA Today reported park officials said in a statement. Another person was injured as he was trying to help catch the girl.

The Latest News Videos