- Newlywed couple killed in head-on crash with each other
- 6th baby dies in 'Nap Nanny' recliner; officials urge owners to stop using product
- Son gives dad '57 Chevy for 57th birthday - a childhood promise
- Two killed, multiple injured trying to retrieve cellphone from toilet
- 13-year-old cancer victim leaves behind secret note
“Super foods” have been the rage for several years.
Those are the things that, if we eat them, are said to protect us from a variety of health issues.
In the past few years, blueberries, broccoli, fish oil, and green leafy vegetables have all taken their turn at the head of the list.
The latest group of life-saving edibles comes from William Paterson University and was recently discussed in the CDC publication, Preventing Chronic Disease.
The Washington Post says the foods were rated on their compilation of fiber, calcium, protein, potassium, vitamins and other healthful content.
The new top-rated food is watercress, a vegetable filled with all those nutrients and more.
The rest of the top 10, in order, are:
- 2 Chinese cabbage
- 3 Chard
- 4 Beet greens
- 5 Spinach
- 6 Chicory
- 7 Leaf lettuce
- 8 Parsley
- 9 Romaine lettuce
- 10 Collard greens
You may notice fruits missing from the list. Researchers say that’s because the rankings are based on solid nutrient content alone.
Wondering how to incorporate watercress into your meal plan? No worries, just click for some ideas.