- Would-be bank robber: 'Sorry ... My kids are hungry.'
- Fla. man pays off $20K in gifts at Walmart
- Store greeter runs to put out fire, loses job for leaving post
- Outrage over rich teen's 'affluenza' defense in 4 deaths
- Hours after getting married, groom dies helping motorist
The holidays can be a stressful time for many, especially when family gets together.
For one southwestern Michigan man the traditional decorating of the Christmas tree with his loved ones apparently was enough to push him past the breaking point.
According to investigators in Casco Township, the 33-year-old suspect attacked his mother after becoming upset over the ornaments being hung on the tree.
Allegan County Sheriff's Capt. Frank Baker told WZZM that Lewis Atwood punched his mother several times during the Saturday assault, "They were decorating the Christmas tree, he had found that there was only an ornament with his brother's name and not one with his on it, which upset him."
Atwood allegedly punched his mother up to five times, giving her a bloody nose and cut lip.
Investigators say the woman will be OK. Atwood, though, was sent to jail and is now facing misdemeanor domestic assault charges.
As is often the case with numerous domestic calls during the holidays, Atwood was reportedly drunk during the attack.