ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
79°
Broken Clouds
H 83° L 62°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    79°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 83° L 62°
  • clear-night
    63°
    Morning
    Clear. H 83° L 62°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    81°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 87° L 64°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Crime & Law
Police: Florida man arrested for stealing money from Toys for Tots donation jar
Close

Police: Florida man arrested for stealing money from Toys for Tots donation jar

Police: Florida man arrested for stealing money from Toys for Tots donation jar
Photo Credit: Jacksonville Sheriff's Office

Police: Florida man arrested for stealing money from Toys for Tots donation jar

A Florida man who admitted to stealing money from a Toys For Tots donation jar at a restaurant in December has been arrested, authorities said.

Officers had been looking for Zachary Allen Shultz, 25, since December, and he admitted to stealing money from the donation jar at Flame Broiler in Jacksonville, the police report said. Witnesses said Shultz also stole money from a tip jar at a Tropical Smoothie Cafe.

A witness who was working as a cashier during the theft at Flame Broiler identified Shultz as the man who took the money.

>> Read more trending stories

Officers arrested Shultz Feb. 11 while answering a call about a theft at Daily's Gas Station.

Shultz said he didn't think it was a big deal, since there were a few dollars in the jar, the police report said. He also said that he didn't know that the money was for the Toys for Tots charity.

Shultz  told police that he tried to start a fire in his uncle's house, in which he suffered burn injuries. Afterwards, he drove away in a stolen van that began to spark, and when he attempted to investigate the problem,the vehicle went up in flames and his face was burned, and he smoked crack to help ease the pain, according to ActionNewsJax.com. 

Shultz was taken to Shands Medical Center and absentee booked.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • On March 24, a surge of photos posted by everyday people and celebrities such as Taraji P. Henson and LL Cool J on social media show images with text claiming that 14 girls have disappeared in the last 24 hours in Washington, D.C., and the images have continued to pick up steam.   >> Read more trending news WRC reported however, that the information in those images is not entirely true.  Here are things to know about the missing teens in Washington: Police say that 14 teen girls have not disappeared from Washington in one day. The girls pictured in the viral image went missing at different times. Relisha Tenau Rudd, pictured on the far left of the image, was last seen in Washington on March 1, 2014. Pheonix Coldon was last seen December 18, 2011 in St. Louis. Shaniah Boyd was last seen in Washington. Makayla Randall, pictured on the far right, has been missing since October 1, 2012 and was last seen in Oak Park, Missouri. WRC reported that police have changed their method of communicating information about missing persons. There has been no increase in the number of missing people.  The Metropolitan Police Department has changed how it shares information on missing persons. “We've just been posting them on social media more often,” Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Rachel Reid said. Chanel Dickerson, commander of the Washington police’s Youth and Family Services Division, told The Washington Post that the 211 people reported missing in January reflected  better reporting by families, not an increase in missing teens. Many of the missing teens are black or Latino. Outrage over the missing persons comes from a perception that people of color who are missing are not covered in the media as often as white missing persons. Derrica Wilson, the co-founder and chief executive of the Black and Missing Foundation, which works to raise awareness of missing people of color, told The Huffington Post 40 percent of missing persons in the U.S. are people of color. Police say there is not a known link between the missing persons and human trafficking. Police spokeswoman Karimah Bilal told WRC the teens reported missing so far in 2017 left voluntarily. WUSA reported that since many teens left on their own, Amber Alerts have not been issued for them. “Because of the number of releases, there have been concerns that young girls in the District of Columbia are victims of human trafficking or have been kidnapped,” Bilal said. “We look at every case closely to make sure that doesn't happen, but to my knowledge, that hasn't been a factor in any of our missing person cases,” Bilal said.  Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser and Washington police told WUSA they confirmed that there is no link between the missing persons and human trafficking. Although there is no reported  link, human trafficking is an issue in D.C. The D.C. Human Trafficking Task Force was formed in 2004 to find victims of trafficking and prosecute those who are trafficking victims. Other nongovernmental organizations have also been established to combat the issue. Those who run away or leave voluntarily may still be in danger. “We need to find out the underlying reasons that so many young people in the District of Columbia have chosen to leave home voluntarily because they feel they have no other alternatives,” Dickerson told WRC. The National Conference of State Legislatures said that runaway youths face a higher likelihood and risk of anxiety, depression, suicide, and engaging in survival sex, human trafficking and dealing drugs to meet basic needs, like food, clothing and shelter. The also have an increased likelihood of participating in drug use. Research from the National Runaway Safeline says family conflict and being thrown out of the house -- sometimes because of a child’s sexual orientation -- are reasons why youths may run away. “One person missing is one person too many, especially when you’re talking about our young people,” Dickerson said at a Wednesday town hall. Lawmakers are calling on the FBI to investigate many of the missing persons cases. The Associated Press reported that Congressional Black Caucus chairman Cedric Richmond, D-La., and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, who represents the District of Columbia in Congress, sent a letter Tuesday that called for Attorney General Jeff Sessions and FBI Director James Comey to devote time to investigating the number of missing children in Washington and “determine whether these developments are an anomaly or whether they are indicative of an underlying trend that must be addressed.” “Ten children of color went missing in our nation's capital in a period of two weeks and at first garnered very little media attention. That's deeply disturbing,” the letter sent to the Justice Department said. Members of the Washington community are demanding answers. Community members in Washington and across the country are demanding answers and action from officials and media out of frustration over lack of media coverage of missing black women and girls. A 2010 study from Pace University found black missing children and missing girls were “significantly underrepresented” in TV news coverage. A 2015 study from West Virginia University replicated those findings and showed that those groups were underrepresented compared to the 2014 FBI-reported proportions in which black people and females are reported as missing. That FBI report on missing-person entries showed 37 percent of those reported missing under the age of 21 were black. It found that white children who are missing are underrepresented in TV news. Members of the community met at a town hall Wednesday and WUSA9 reported that many were frustrated and disappointing with the city’s response. “Why are we just finding out?” a person asked.  “I was astounded when I looked at the number of missing African-American females,” Dickerson told WTTG Thursday. “I'm not trying to minimize that other people aren’t missing, but they looked like me and so I just wanted to make sure that every investigation focused on every child thesame way and we get the same exposure to everyone regardless of your race or where you live.” The number of missing persons in Washington changes daily. The Metropolitan Police Department reports the number of open and closed missing person cases and has them broken down by year, critical and non-critical, and juvenile and adult. Recent data from the department shows a decrease in reported missing person cases from 2,433 in 2015 to 2,242 in 2016.  The regularly updated list of missing persons, including flyers of missing persons, are on the Metropolitan Police Department website. 
  • A federal investigation into the 2009 disappearance of a New York teenager has led FBI agents to gator-infested woods in South Carolina. According to the Post and Courier, 17-year-old Brittanee Drexel sneaked away from her home in Rochester, New York, to spend spring break in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Drexel was last seen in security footage at a Myrtle Beach hotel on April 25, 2009.  >> Read more trending news In 2012, Drexel’s mother told a TV reporter she had learned her daughter had been “miserable” on the trip and had planned to leave anyway on the day she went missing. After years of minimal progress in the investigation, authorities received a tip from an inmate identified as Taquan Brown, alleging that he learned what happened to Drexel while visiting a so-called “stash house” in McClellanville, according to the Post and Courier.  Brown told investigators in August that Drexel was abducted, gang-raped, shot and thrown into an alligator-infested swamp. Brown also implicated then-16-year-old Timothy Taylor and his father, Shaun Taylor, in the crime, according to authorities. The FBI told the Post and Courier that “several witnesses have told us Miss Drexel’s body was placed in a pit, or gator pit, to have her body disposed of. Eaten by the gators.” The FBI is searching an area in Georgetown County, S.C., using an excavator to search a wooded area in Foxfire Court. Authorities have not provided any information on what they hope to find in the woods. >> Got a question about the news? See our explainers here No charges have been filed against Taylor, who maintains his innocence.  Investigators said Sunday that they are closer to making an arrest in the case, and are offering a $25,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to an arrest.  
  • A 22-year-old police officer died in Oklahoma on Monday morning after he and a man exchanged gunfire when the man ran during a traffic stop Sunday night, Tecumseh police said. >> Read more trending news The officer, identified as 22-year-old Justin Terney, died of his injuries. The suspected gunman remained hospitalized Monday morning. Tecumseh Assistant Police Chief J.R. Kidney said Terney was shot multiple times after stopping a vehicle around 11:30 p.m. Sunday near the intersection of Benson Park Road and Gordon Cooper Drive. Kidney said Terney was working with dispatchers to verify information given by one of the vehicle’s passengers, a man, after becoming suspicious that he might have been giving Terney false information. As dispatchers were telling Terney that it appeared the man had an active warrant for his arrest, the man ran from the stopped vehicle and toward nearby woods, Kidney said. Terney fired a stun gun at the man. “The (stun gun) doesn’t have any effect on (the suspect) and he continues running through a wooded area, over a fence,” Kidney said. “About 25 yards inside that fence area, the officer and the suspect both exchanged gunfire.” Authorities took both the suspect, whose identity was not immediately known, and Terney to a hospital, where Terney underwent surgery for hours overnight. Kidney confirmed that Terney, who had been shot about three times, died Monday morning. The suspected gunman remained in intensive care with four gunshot wounds, according to KFOR. Terney joined Tecumseh’s police force about a year ago. “My department’s not doing good,” Kidney said Monday morning, adding that in the 22 years he has been with the department and the 38 years the chief has been with the department, this is the first officer-involved shooting for Tecumseh police. “We haven’t had to live through this yet,” he said. “We need everybody to rally around and support us.”
  •  An Ohio man has been accused of stabbing his roommate after an alleged fight over loud music. >> Read more trending news Wayne Skaggs, 53 of Springfield, appeared in Clark County Municipal Court on Monday on a felonious assault charge. He pleaded not guilty. Police alleged he stabbed Doug Vance, also of Springfield, on March 16. According to court records, Skaggs allegedly became angry at Vance for playing music too loud at their home in the 1300 block of Cedarview Drive West in Springfield. Officers were first called to the home shortly after midnight after Skaggs reportedly locked Vance out of the house they share. Skaggs then agreed to let Vance back in if he turned the music down, police said. Officers were called back to the house a short time later and found Vance with stab wounds to his neck and arm. The men had begun arguing again shortly after officers had left, police said, and Skaggs allegedly stabbed Vance. As Skaggs was being detained, he allegedly yelled to a neighbor that he had stabbed someone and was going to jail, police said. Officers said they found a knife in an upstairs bedroom and another knife outside the home. If convicted, Skaggs could face up to eight years in prison and a $15,000 fine.
  • Former Vice President Joe Biden said he regrets not running for president in 2016 and he thinks he could have won the election if he had followed through with his plan to run. >> Read more trending news “I had planned on running for president, and although it would have been a very difficult primary, I think I could have won,” Biden said during a speech Friday at Colgate University in Hamilton, New York. “I don’t know, maybe not. But I thought I could have won. […] I had a lot of data, and I was fairly confident that if I were the Democratic Party’s nominee, I had a better than even chance of being president ... Do I regret not being president? Yes.” Biden, 73, said he believes he was “the best qualified” for the position. But Biden said he doesn’t regret the time that he spent with his son, Beau Biden, who died of brain cancer in 2015. Being on the campaign trail would have taken away from that. In September 2016, Biden revealed that he had planned on running for president, but after his son was diagnosed with cancer in 2014, part of his “soul was gone.” “No man or woman should run unless they are capable of giving every ounce,” Biden said. “I wasn’t healthy enough to pour my whole heart and soul into the effort.”

The Latest News Videos