ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
86°
Mostly Sunny
H 94° L 76°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    86°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Sunny. H 94° L 76°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    90°
    Evening
    Mostly Sunny. H 94° L 76°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    77°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 93° L 75°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

10-year-old suspended for pointing hand in shape of gun

A 10-year-old Ohio boy is back in school after serving a three-day out-of-school suspension for pointing his fingers in the shape of a gun at a classmate.

WSYX reports fifth grader Nathan Entingh was in his science class last week when he made his hand into the shape of a gun and pointed it at his friend's head. Nathan said he was just joking around.

The school's principal then gave Nathan a three-day suspension and sent a letter home to his parents explaining what happened. WBNS adds Nathan was able to go back to school Tuesday.

>> Read more trending stories 

Nathan told WCMH he had no idea he was breaking any rules when he pointed his hand at friend's head.

But a spokesman for Columbus City Schools says otherwise. "The kids were told, 'If you don't stop doing this type of stuff, there would be consequences,' ... It's just been escalating." ​The spokesman also told The Columbus Dispatch students had been sent home with three letters because of problems with "pretend gun play" this year.

But Nathan's father still says the punishment went too far.

Nathan's father also says that the principal told him if something like this happened again, the suspension would be even longer.

See more at newsy.com.  

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • UPDATE: JSO says Waverly was found under a motel stairway by a maintenance worker on Sunday. ---------- The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is asking you to keep an eye out for a missing elderly man, diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.   JSO tells us Waverly Northington Jr., 66, left his home in the 8200 block of Halls Hammock Court on Friday morning, between the hours of 12:00 am and 2:45 am.   Police say they've conducted an extensive search, but haven't been able to find him.  We're told Northington doesn't have a vehicle, so he's believed to be on foot.   Northington is described as a black male, 5'9'', 130 pounds, with gray hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing all white clothing with white shoes.   If you know where he is, or even if you've spotted him somewhere today, you're urged to contact the Sheriff's Office at (904) 630-0500.
  • Three teens who overpowered staff at a juvenile detention center in Jacksonville last week, have been caught by police. Justin Silva, Luther Davis and Derek Browley were found together on Old Kings Road shortly after 10 a.m. Saturday. They had been on the run since escaping from the Jacksonville Youth Academy, which is operated by G4S Youth Services, on June 18.  The president and CEO of G4S Youth Services told WOKV the boys, ranging in age from 15 to 16 years old, ambushed a youth care worker, stole keys to the facility and escaped over a high fence. Police described the attempt as a coordinated plan.  WOKV will continue to update this story as more information is released.  
  • A Memphis, Tennessee, woman turned the tables on a suspect who twice pointed a gun at her during an attempted robbery, police say. >> Read more trending news According to a police report, the woman was pumping gas Wednesday evening when an unknown man approached her. The suspect put a gun into her side and demanded her money and car keys, the report said. The woman told police she pushed the gun away and turned to face the suspect. Police said the man then pointed his gun at the victim’s chest, but she punched him in the face, grabbed the gun and hit the suspect in the face with it four times. A second suspect then rushed toward the woman, and she hit him in the face with the gun one time, according to police. The two suspects ran away, and no arrests have been made at this time, police said.
  • Responding to concerns about personal security for lawmakers after last week’s gun attack at a Congressional baseball practice, U.S. House leaders are moving to provide extra money to members for protection back home, as well as new funding to bolster the work of police and security officials on Capitol Hill. Under a plan approved by a House spending subcommittee on Friday, the Congress would provide an extra $7.5 million next year to the Capitol Police for an “increased security posture” around the Capitol, along with $5 million to the House Sergeant at Arms to help with security for lawmakers back in their districts. “We are taking a new fresh look at security,” said Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-KS), the Chairman of subcommittee that deals with funding for the Legislative Branch. Our FY18 Legislative Branch funding bill increases efficiency & transparency in Congress, enhances security for Members & our constituents. pic.twitter.com/FI36tF2XeH — Rep. Kevin Yoder (@RepKevinYoder) June 22, 2017 “The tragic events of June 14 weigh heavily on these deliberations,” said Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-NJ), the Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, which could vote on the extra money as early as this next week. Also being put into motion is a separate plan to funnel an extra $25,000 to each member of the House – about $11 million in all – to help them increase security back in their districts. “The scariest part for us is there used to be this impression by the public that we all had security everywhere we went,” said Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH). “Now, everyone knows that isn’t the case,” Ryan added, as he lent his support to the extra funding for security as well. The money in this budget bill would not take effect until the new fiscal year – which starts October 1 – so, House leaders are ready to okay extra money immediately for members worried about security back in their districts. Roll Call newspaper reported that could be approved in coming days by the House Administration Committee. Yoder said Congressional leaders are also waiting to see if money raised in campaign contributions for House elections could be put to use for security as well. “Pending an FEC (Federal Election Commission) decision, we’re also looking at whether campaign funds could be used to continue to support security upgrades at personal residences,” Yoder added.

The Latest News Videos