ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
83°
Broken Clouds
H 86° L 69°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    83°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 86° L 69°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    69°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 86° L 69°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    80°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 88° L 62°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

News
Lt. Gov. Carroll resigns, casualty of internet gambling conspiracy
Close

Lt. Gov. Carroll resigns, casualty of internet gambling conspiracy

Lt. Gov. Carroll resigns, casualty of internet gambling conspiracy
Photo Credit: Lannis Waters
Florida Lt. Governor Jennifer Carroll speaks at the announcement of a new robotic submarine unveiled at Lockheed Martin in Riviera Beach in 2011.

Lt. Gov. Carroll resigns, casualty of internet gambling conspiracy

Florida's Lt. Governor, Jennifer Carroll resigned her office today in the wake of a sweeping multi-state investigation into internet gambling by Allied Veterans of the World. Carroll is not believed to be a subject of the investigation, but her company did public relations work for Allied Veterans a few years ago and had been interviewed by investigators on Tuesday.

Among those arrested is the Allied Vets President, Jerry Bass, Jacksonville Fraternal Order of Police Union President Nelson Cuba, FOP Vice President Robbie Freitas, and Jacksonville attorney Kelly Mathis, who represents Allied Veterans.

The investigation stems from internet cafe's around the state, which authorities say generated $300-million in revenue over the past year years, but where only 2% was actually given to help veterans. In documents filed Monday with the US District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma that we obtained, the investigation originated in Seminole County due to complaints from the public about gambling at the internet casinos.

On Jacksonville's Morning News Wednesday, State Senator John Thrasher said he will now push for a total ban on internet cafes and other sweepstakes locations in Florida. Thrasher said he is disappointed to learn of the Nelson Cuba's arrest, given the two have known each other for several years, and alluded to more revelations to come. A short time later Carroll's resignation was announced.

Hear the entire interview with Senator Thrasher here.

IRS agents were looking to seize everything from computer systems to email correspondence. They started their investigation in 2007 when the Allied Veterans "affiliates" started claiming to provide electronic sweepstakes in connection with companies that allegedly purchased Internet Casinos. They searched 51 of the Allied Veterans Affiliates around the state.

The documents say "Allied Veterans and others engaged in a conspiracy and scheme to defraud the public and governmental agencies into believing that the money spent, and lost, at the Internet Casinos that used the Allied Veterans name went to a charitable organization that was a member of the Veterans Administration."

In April 2012, documents we obtained show the Internet Casinos were "sold." However, the documents also say undercover agents went into these places and determined they were still operating with the same resources.

According to the documents, International Internet Technologies, LLC in Oklahoma was also searched. This is where the computer programs for Allied Veterans are held.

According to the documents, from 2007 to early 2012 investigators only found $6 million in donations in allied Veterans name. That represents 2% of their $290 million in proceeds during that time period.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • For the first time in history, billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk’s SpaceX launched a recycled rocket back into Earth’s orbit — a milestone that could drastically cut the cost of traveling into space and pave the way for a new era in space travel. The Falcon 9 rocket blasted off from Florida's Kennedy Space Center Thursday evening on the historic reflight. It's the first time SpaceX founder Elon Musk has tried to fly a salvaged booster. The first stage landed on an ocean platform almost a year ago after a launch for NASA.  According to SpaceX, a “rapidly reusable space launch vehicle” could reduce the cost of traveling to space by a hundredfold in the future. >> Related: SpaceX capsule returns space station science to Earth, lands in Pacific Ocean The part of the rocket that is being recycled is its main body, which separates from the top part of the rocket and then barrels back to Earth, NBC News reported. So far, after 13 attempts, SpaceX has successfully returned eight rockets back to Earth. But the Falcon 9 rocket launch will be the company’s first time reusing the same booster. >> Read more trending news Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin, a SpaceX rival, was the first to launch and land the same rocket twice with its New Shepard rocket in 2016.
  • Billionaire entrepreneur Jeff Bezos’ spaceflight company Blue Origins has released detailed images of the space capsule it plans to use to take paying customers into suborbital flight some 60 miles above the earth. The new capsule will be mounted on top of the private space company’s reusable New Shepherd rocket, according to a mass email update Bezos, the man behind both Blue Origins and Amazon, sent out on Wednesday. >> Read more trending news In the email, Bezos shared illustrations of the capsule mock-up, which features “the largest windows ever in space,” where “every seat’s a window seat,” he said. The windows make up one-third of the entire capsule, so that those on board can immerse themselves in “the vastness of space and life-changing views of our blue planet,” Blue Origins said on its website. The interior measures 530 square feet and includes six leather reclining seats with Blue Origin feather logos. Small video screens are mounted next to each window. In the photos, you can also see passengers donning Blue Origin pullovers, their 'launch suits.' Jeff Bezos said the company is on track to start taking paying customers to space as early as 2018, the Verge reported. Last month, SpaceX’s Elon Musk also announced plans to send two private citizens around the moon. While pricing for the approximately 10-minute Blue Origin flight into space hasn’t been disclosed, Ars Technica estimates tickets will likely cost between $100,000 and $200,000.  The capsule mock-up and the New Shepard reusable booster will be on display at the 33rd Space Symposium in Colorado Springs on April 3-6, Bezos said.  
  • Florida authorities used a victim’s iCloud account to track down three accused armed robbers at a Denny’s restaurant. The victim agreed to meet the suspects, identified as Ellis Colon de la Rosa, Rafael Mayeta Castillo and Nomar Sanchez Figueroa, on Monday night to show the men electronics he was trying to sell, according to WPLG.  >> Read more trending news When the North Bay Village man got into Figueroa’s car with iPhones, sunglasses and laptops, one of the suspects allegedly put a gun to his head while the other two men took the electronics. The three suspects then drove around with the victim, and before letting him go, threatened to kill him if he went to authorities, news outlets reported. Despite the threat, the victim went to police anyway and reported the crime, investigators said. >> Related: Florida man stalks girlfriend, makes 46 calls in 11 hours Authorities used the victim’s stolen iPhone to track the suspects back to a Denny’s in Coral Gables. Police searched Figueroa’s car and found the victim’s stolen property. The three suspects were arrested and charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and armed kidnapping. The suspects are jailed without bail.
  • A Jacksonville man has been sentenced to more than seven years in prison for receiving sexual abuse videos of children over the Internet. A search warrant was executed on 58-year-old Richard Lord’s Jacksonville home in September 2016. Prosecutors say, while speaking with investigators, Lord admitted to using his cellphones to search for, download, and view child porn. Court records say Lord “constantly” searched for child porn and couldn’t control himself, specifically targeting media with 10 to 12-year-old children.  Investigators found six videos on Lord’s cellphones showing the sexual abuse of young children.  After Lord’s seven year three month sentence in federal prison, he will serve a lifetime of supervision and register as a sex offender.
  • He’s accused of fleeing law enforcement on multiple occasions at high rates of speed.  The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office says they have identified a reckless motorcyclist, on the same day they put a call out for public tips to track the suspect down. The motorcyclist has been the subject of numerous complaints to law enforcement. Both citizens and police officers say this person makes gestures toward anyone who tries to stop him or speak with him.  SJSO says the motorcyclist has been spotted around US 1 South and SR 312 westbound, heading toward 207 and then north on South Holmes Blvd. He’s also known to be in the St. Augustine Beach area, and has been seen on the 312 bridge early in the morning.  The driver is described as a white male in his late 20s to early 30s, with a distinctive tattoo on his right arm. The motorcycle is believed to be a black Yamaha R6 sport bike, but the tag has apparently been tampered with so it’s difficult to read.  Investigators will be following up with the suspect. They’re thanking the community for all of the tips that were submitted.

The Latest News Videos