TRAFFIC ALERT:

CONSTRUCTION I-95 SB off-ramp to Philips closed 

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
72°
Few Clouds
H 76° L 62°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    72°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 76° L 62°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    62°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 76° L 62°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    77°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 80° L 62°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Lawyers approach families of missing MH370 passengers

Trending on Facebook

More Popular and trending stories

An object here, a signal there — some might call these leads. But the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has turned up nothing. And after a month and a half, relatives of those passengers are still waiting for answers.

"Nearly two months after Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished, there is still no sign of it and no answers as to how or why it disappeared. The hunt for the plane and the black boxes continues." (Via CTV

Families of the passengers are upset that Malaysian authorities are offering to issue death certificates and final payouts without any proof of what's happened.

The father of one of the passengers on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 tells The Malaysian Insider: "​The inconsistent data and information fed to the families had caused a lot of confusion and anger. This is why it is hard for them to believe the information and data presented to them even though it is the truth."  

One of the family members hopefully told CBC, "We couldn't find it in the sea, we couldn't find it on land, it's only logical that they're alive."

But now that those death certificates will be issued, The Independent notes it "could pave the way for potential lawsuits against the airline."

According to ABC, American lawyers are already looking to profit. 

"They told me that a lawyer came to him and said, 'You can get a million dollars if the plane was confirmed as crashed. ... Sign something so we can do it for you.'" 

Some law firms argue families facing heartbreak and grieving shouldn't have to face the hardships of excessive damages and a complicated legal field on their own. (Via The Lambert Firm)

On the other hand, many relatives aren't ready to think about these options. One man whose sister was on the flight told The Christian Science Monitor: "What we want is not money but our relatives back. They haven't found the plane yet. Without the truth and a real conclusion, how can we start a lawsuit?"  

The U.S. Navy's underwater robot has already searched much of the area where four acoustic signals were last heard about two weeks ago. But those pings went silent last week. (Via CCTV)

Still, Malaysia Airlines recognizes how difficult this time has been for the families of the passengers on board.

"It has been an extremely difficult and trying period for the families. ... We remain committed to providing families with verified information when it becomes available."(Via Malaysia Airlines)

But CNN reports authorities have essentially dropped the ball when it comes to communication.

On Monday, relatives sat in a conference room in Kuala Lumpur, waiting for a briefing from Malaysian technical experts. But turns out, there would be no meeting. Emotions boiled over, with relatives yelling, sobbing and even cursing.

"We don't know at this point whether they're alive or dead. You haven't given us any direct proof wherever they are. We want our loved ones back." (Via CNN)

The search for wreckage continues, but as of Tuesday, a tropical cyclone grounded planes that were expected to fly across the Indian Ocean.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • For the second time in less than 24 hours, police have swarmed the Las Vegas Strip after at least one person was killed in a shooting near the Cosmopolitan hotel and casino. >> Related: Burglary at Bellagio Hotel and Casino prompts lockdown on Vegas strip Police said Saturday afternoon that the situation was not an active shooter situation.  The suspect peacefully surrendered around 6 p.m., according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. >> Read more trending news Around 11:30 a.m. Las Vegas police reported that they were investigating a shooting that occurred on South Las Vegas Boulevard. Authorities believed an individual who was on a bus that was traveling on the strip is responsible for the shooting. Police closed portions of the strip, and set up a staging area and a barricade. Guests at the Cosmopolitan resort were evacuated. Shortly after 11 a.m., KSNV reported that at least one victim of a shooting had been transported to University Medical Center trauma in unknown condition. At 1 p.m. Saturday, authorities reported a second victim had been killed. According to USA Today, police evacuated the nearby Cosmopolitan hotel and casino shortly after 1 p.m. “The shooting incident happened on the bus,” said Larry Hadfield, a spokesman with Las Vegas Metro police. “We had one single shooting incident with two victims. Both were transported to the trauma center and one is deceased.” Hadfield said police were negotiating with the suspect Saturday afternoon in an effort to take him into custody, USA Today reported. This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 
  • Las Vegas police are investigating a burglary at a retail store in the Bellagio Hotel and Casino after an incident that occurred overnight Friday, The Associated Press reported.  >> Read more trending news Police said Saturday they believe at least three people entered the store. It was not immediately clear what items were stolen. The store was closed at the time of the burglary.  Authorities said the suspects broke into a high-end jewelry and watch store, where they may have used sledgehammers to break into the shop's jewelry cases. A witness said she saw an armed burglar wearing a pig mask near a Rolex store. Authorities said they are reviewing surveillance tape, where they saw multiple suspects wearing “character masks,” ABC News reported. According to ABC News, the Bellagio was on lockdown for approximately a half-hour after the incident. Police initially thought at least one of the theives may have fired gunshots during the burglary, but later said they believed the sound of the sledgehammers breaking the jewelry cases may have been confused for gunshots. Guests fled the hotel and casino in the midst of the incident. No one was injured.  Police have taken one suspect into custody.  Portions of the Bellagio were closed Saturday as police continue to investigate.
  • A couple has been indicted on accusations that they murdered their deaf teenage son and then burned down their house to cover up the crime, the Associated Press reported. >> Read more trending news  According to the Chenango County Sheriff’s Office in New York, Ernest F. Franklin II, 35, and his wife, Heather Franklin, 33, of Guilford, New York, were charged with second-degree murder, arson and tampering with physical evidence. The two were indicted Friday on charges of second-degree murder in the death of their adopted son, 16-year-old Jeffrey Franklin, People magazine reported. Following an investigation of a fire on March 1 at the family’s 1,300-square-foot home, the couple was arrested. Investigators believe they set fire to their home to cover up the killing of their son. An autopsy determined he died prior to the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Local law authorities have not said how or when the boy was killed. The Franklins got married in 2011 and adopted Jeffrey six or seven years ago, the sheriff’s office said. According to People magazine, Ernest is an Iraq War veteran. Heather wrote in posts on her Facebook page that she is pregnant. The Franklins are being held without bail. They entered a plea of not guilty. “People are asking themselves, ‘How could this happen?'” Chenango County Sheriff Ernest Cutting Jr. told People magazine. “Certainly for the public here, it’s a mix of anger and frustration and disappointment.” Just days before Heather Franklin was arrested, she posted an update on her Facebook page about how much she missed her son, who she called JR. She also informed friends and family that she and her husband had added their “needs” and “wants” to the CheckedTwice.com Family Gift Registry because they lost everything in the fire. A GoFundMe page was also established, but it has been taken down. The Associated Press reported that police who responded to a 911 call about 1:15 a.m. on March 1 found the Franklin’s house, located about an hour away from Syracuse, engulfed in flames. Jeffrey was inside and unable to escape the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities initially said the cause of the fire appeared to be a wood stove, the residence’s main heating source. “People are wondering how anybody could do something so brutal to a developmentally disabled and handicapped 16-year-old boy,” Cutting told People. “There are a lot of people who would have taken him. There are organizations that would have taken care of him. Why resort to that? … It’s just a terrible, terrible tragedy.”
  • North Carolina police said they have found the bodies of two missing children Saturday morning in Hoke County. >> Read more trending news  Fayetteville police had been searching for 2-year-old Serenity and 4-day-old Genesis Freeman overnight Friday. They were in their father's custody when they disappeared and he reportedly refused to tell police where the children were. Tillman Freeman, 30, was first charged with two counts of child abuse and child neglect.  When their bodies were found in a wooded area off of Highway 211, two counts of first-degree murder were added to those charges. The children's mother was in the hospital at the time the children went missing for an unrelated reason.
  • A residential neighborhood on the westside, near Timquana Park and Timuquana Country Club was the scene of a police and Hazmat investigation Saturday morning.  Jacksonville Sheriff’s Officers responded to Timuquana Rd. because a vehicle was left parked in front of a house with a sign that read, “Danger, stay back hazmat needed”. JSO says there was a strong chemical smell around the car.  JFRD Hazmat was called to the neighborhood and advised citizens to shelter inside their homes.  No evacuation was ordered. One person was found dead inside the car.  JSO Homicide Detectives are now investigating.  

The Latest News Videos