ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
82°
Partly Cloudy
H 89° L 77°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    82°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 89° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 89° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    78°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 91° L 78°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Charges dropped against teens in Polk Co. bullying case
Close

Charges dropped against teens in Polk Co. bullying case

Charges dropped against teens in Polk Co. bullying case
Katelyn Roman & Guadalupe Shaw

Charges dropped against teens in Polk Co. bullying case

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Charges have been dropped against two teenage girls whom a sheriff had accused of bullying a Florida classmate who later committed suicide, the girls' attorneys said Wednesday.

Katelyn Roman and Guadalupe Shaw were both arrested on charges of aggravated stalking after 12-year-old Rebecca Sedwick killed herself.

Police said Rebecca was tormented online and at school by as many as 15 girls before she climbed a tower at an abandoned concrete plant and hurled herself to her death Sept. 9.


Facebook chats involving cyberbully-suicide suspects: Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3


Last month, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said then that the two were primarily responsible for bullying Rebecca Sedwick, a 12-year-old who jumped to her death at an abandoned concrete plant in September.

Attorney Jose Baez held a news conference Wednesday to announce that the charge had been dropped against his 12-year-old client, Katelyn Roman. Ronald Toward, the attorney for Guadalupe Shaw, 13, told The Associated Press in an email Wednesday evening that The State Attorney's Office in Polk County charge also had dropped the charge against his client.

 Baez demanded an apology from Judd for arresting the 12-year-old, whom he described as a "troubled young girl" who had been bullied herself.

 The lawyer said it was "reckless" for Judd to have brought a juvenile count of third-degree felony aggravated stalking against the girl, and to name her and show her mug shot at a news conference last month announcing the arrests.

 "I found zero evidence having to do with my client that would rise to the level of a criminal act," Baez told reporters.

At a news conference in Winter Haven -- just minutes after Baez's news conference had ended -- Judd said he didn't regret anything he did. He said that he is happy with the outcome and that the girls will receive "the services they need."

"Our goal is that these kids never bully anyone again, never torment anyone again," Judd said.

Baez said his client hasn't ruled out a lawsuit against the sheriff.

Brian Haas, a spokesman for the State Attorney's Office in Polk County, said Florida law prevented him from commenting on juvenile cases.

At last month's news conference announcing the arrests, Judd said the bullying began about a year ago after the 13-year-old girl started dating Rebecca's ex-boyfriend. The older girl threatened to fight Rebecca while they were sixth-graders at a middle school  in Lakeland, Fla., and told her "to drink bleach and die," the sheriff had said. She also persuaded the younger girl to bully Rebecca, even though they had been best friends, the sheriff said.

Judd said both Roman and Shaw will receive counseling.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • Tyler Swantek, 24, was already in custody on drug charges when police tacked on a first-degree murder charge. Police said he killed his father, Todd Swantek, and left the corpse on the couch for weeks. The Standard-Speaker reported that Swantek allegedly shot his father in the head with a rifle. >> Read more trending news Police reportedly were called to the scene in Frackville, Pennsylvania, in late May by a friend of Todd Swantek’s, who had not heard from the father for a month. When police entered the house, they found a gruesome scene: The badly decomposed body was on the couch, covered in blankets and a sleeping bag, the Standard-Speaker reported. Police said they searched the house and found the rifle, which they believe to be the murder weapon, in Tyler Swantek’s bedroom. There were a number of candles and air fresheners in the house, apparently put out in an attempt to mask the smell, the Standard-Speaker reported. Police said that when they interviewed Tyler Swantek about his father’s death, he showed no emotion. An autopsy report suggested that the body may have been on the couch for months before it was discovered. Swantek appeared in court where he asked for reduced bail for drug charges, but the judge didn’t agree to the deal. The judge reportedly said, “He’s a danger to himself and society.” Read more here.
  • A 5-year-old Massachusetts boy whose story gained national attention when he learned he was getting a long-awaited heart transplant has died. Ari Schultz was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome and had to undergo two heart surgeries before he was even born. Earlier this year, after waiting nearly 200 days for a new heart, the family learned Ari would be getting one. >> Read more trending news On June 16, Ari came home from the hospital. On Thursday morning, the family posted on its Facebook page that Ari was taken to the emergency room for a seizure. After over a half-hour of CPR, he was placed on life support in the cardiac intensive care unit. The family posted on Friday evening that Ari passed away peacefully while listening to the Red Sox. Ari has two siblings, his sister Lexi and his brother Eli. 
  • Multiple people were found dead early Sunday inside a semi-trailer in the parking lot of a San Antonio Walmart. >> Read more trending news >> Click here or scroll down for more
  • White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned from his post Friday morning, six months and one day after taking the position. >> Read more trending news In a message posted to Twitter Friday afternoon, Spicer said he will continue to serve as press secretary through August. >> Related: Sean Spicer resigns: A look at his 6 months as White House press secretary “It's been an honor (and) a privilege to serve (President Donald Trump and) this amazing country,” he wrote. Deputy White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders will take over his duties, newly named White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci said at a news briefing Friday. Spicer’s resignation came in opposition to Scaramucci’s appointment, The New York Times reported.

The Latest News Videos