ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
63°
Scattered Clouds
H 87° L 68°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    63°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 87° L 68°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    84°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 87° L 68°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    81°
    Evening
    Mostly Cloudy. H 87° L 68°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

    Police looking for suspects in armed home invasion robbery The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is working to identify two men suspects involved in an armed home invasion robbery at the Mission Springs apartment complex on March 22nd.  The police investigation revealed, the unknown suspects forced their way into the residence after the victim opened the door. One of the two men was armed with an assault-style riffle with no stock.  The victim was then led around the home at gunpoint, while the suspects looked for items to take.  They were last seen leaving the front door of the home.  Both suspects were described as black men in their early 20’s, 5’6” – 5’10’ tall. Police also say they were both wearing hoodies and dark pants.  If you are able to identify the suspects or have any information you are asked to call the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office or Crime Stoppers to remain anonymous. 
  • There’s an empty spot on a St. Johns County home where a 'Blue Lives Matter' flag has flown for years.According to the homeowner, the flag was placed there to show support for family and others in law enforcement.Jeff Gaddie, the homeowner’s father tells Action News Jax, “She did take it down because she doesn’t want to be perceived as breaking the laws or anything.” 'Blue Lives Matter' flag has been removed from this SJC home. Homeowner was asked to take it down after neighbor complaint @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/7q8dqfWrfC— Beth Rousseau (@BethANJax) March 29, 2017 TRENDING: Nearly 50 dachshunds rescued, looking for forever homes When we spoke to Gaddie last week, he explained that his daughter’s request to display the flag was denied after a neighbor complained that it was racist.“I mean that’s just what they told her and that’s what they reacted off of,” Gaddie said.First Coast Association Management, the company that enforces the HOA’s rules, denied the allegation in a post on their website.The online statement outlines the Association’s policy that only allows American and military flags.“I’m not  totally sure that it’s all the HOA board members involved as much as it is the management company. It may be a lack of communication between the two,” Gaddie said.We wanted to hear from the company so we went to their office: They didn’t answer the door. There was also no answer when we tried to contact them by phone. Homeowner tells me this is the flag a neighbor called 'racist' @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/Nyqc8GeJ7o— Beth Rousseau (@BethANJax) March 29, 2017 LOCAL NEWS: Man uses baseball bat to free 2-month-old left in hot car at Jacksonville Lowe's The homeowner has started this online petition.Gaddie said this fight is far from over.“She’s trying to do it the right way where she fights back, appeals it, and tries to get it approved,” Gaddie said.
  • The Clay County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help identifying an auto burglary suspect.   According to detectives, a male wearing a hooded sweatshirt and gloves targeted several unlocked vehicles in the Argyle area of Orange Park early Wednesday morning.   We're told all of the vehicles targeted were on Golden Pond Boulevard.   If you recognize the suspect, you're urged to call the sheriff's office at (904) 264-6512.
  • Clay County Schools said Fleming Island High School is currently under a precautionary boil water advisory for the next 48 to 72 hours. Water service to the school was temporarily interrupted for the emergency repair of a broken water line on Wednesday, according to our partner Action News Jax. Restrooms are working, but the school district said students are urged to bring their own water bottles to drink during the day. The school district said it will also provide drinking water until the boil water advisory is lifted.
  • He had been found incompetent to stand trial three times, but Joshua Goldberg may now be ready to face the federal terror-related charge he’s accused of.  The Orange Park man was indicted in September 2015. Court documents claim Goldberg sent information on how to make a bomb to a person he believed was going to plant the bomb at a September 11th memorial event in Kansas City, Missouri. Goldberg’s instructions even included how to inflict the most damage with the device- like dipping shrapnel in rat poison- according to the indictment. The person speaking with Goldberg was actually a confidential informant.  Prosecutors say Goldberg admitted to giving the instructions, but he believed the person he was speaking with wasn’t going to follow through. The indictment says Goldberg planned to tell law enforcement if the device was actually planted, making himself a hero.  Goldberg was first ruled incompetent to stand trial in December 2015, then again in June and December 2016. He has been undergoing treatment at Federal Medical Center in Butner, NC for autism spectrum disorder and major depressive disorder. During a status hearing Wednesday, a judge mentioned that a competency report had been received in which doctors who have been treating Goldberg say he is now competent to stand trial.  A competency hearing must still be held where a judge will make a formal determination. Goldberg’s attorney, Paul Shorstein, tells WOKV News that he is unsure at this time whether he will dispute the doctor’s report. “I really can’t say one way or another. I mean, I’ve read the report. I need to talk to him, talk to his family,” Shorstein says. He plans to know more by the competency hearing.  The US Attorney’s Office confirms another status conference has been set for April 7th, at which time they will set a date for the competency hearing. 
  • A Jacksonville man known as the “Riverside Rapist” for a string of violent, sexual assault crimes he committed in 1985, has been resentenced to life in prison. There will be a review hearing in ten years. “Based on the incredibly aggravating facts in these cases, we believe that life in prison is the only sentence that would adequately protect the community,” says a statement from Chief Assistant State Attorney L.E. Hutton. Robert Roberson, now 46, was sentenced to three consecutive life sentences without the opportunity for parole in 1986 but was granted a new sentencing hearing. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 2010 Graham v. Florida that a juvenile cannot be sentenced to life without parole for any crime other than homicide.  Roberson was found guilty burglary with an assault, sexual battery and unarmed robbery, after a court determined he broke into three Riverside homes and sexually assaulted three different women. He’s believed to be responsible for even more attacks. In one incident, Roberson told the victim that “white women were only good for having sex with and then killing,” according to court documents. In the two other incidents, Roberson threatened the women with a gun.  After each of the sexual assaults, Roberson forced the women to kneel before him and dress him.  The court also found that Roberson committed his crimes with “premeditation and calculation,” in one instance he broke into an empty home and waited for his victim. Roberson did not previously know any of his victims.  All three sexual assaults were committed between Dec. 14 and Dec. 29, 1985.
  • A Good Samaritan breaks the window of a car in a parking lot, after he sees a baby in the back seat sweating and crying.  The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says Zoya Thomas has been arrested for child neglect for leaving the two-month-old in the car. The arrest report confirms the baby is Thomas’ daughter. Thomas told police that she went in a store off Atlantic Boulevard for five minutes to check paint colors, and the baby was sleeping in the back seat and she didn’t want to wake it. JSO says surveillance shows nearly twenty minutes passed between when Thomas entered the store and when the bystander rushed in with the infant to cool it down.  The Good Samaritan saw the baby crying and sweating in the back seat and used a baseball bat to break the window and get the child. JSO says the temperature Tuesday afternoon was 85 degrees and the vehicle was parked in direct sunlight.  The arrest report says the Florida Department of Children and Families was notified, and a DCF employee took custody of the baby. While announcing this arrest, JSO is offering tips to prevent you from forgetting your child in the car. You’re urged to always look in the back seat before you lock up and even put something you need- like a purse- in the back seat or keep a reminder with you in the front seat. You should also always keep your doors locked when not in the car to prevent children from being able to wander in. Finally, if you see a child alone in the car, JSO says you should not hesitate to call 911.
  • The County Health Rankings & Roadmaps for 2017 are out and it seems to be a mixed bag for Northeast Florida.   In the overall rankings, St. Johns County took the top spot for the 6th consecutive year.   St. Johns County Board of County Commission Chair, James Johns, says, 'We are committed to providing access to services, programs, facilities, and natural amenities that help our residents enjoy a healthy lifestyle and continue to remain active and engaged.'   However, other counties didn't rank as high.   Out of Florida's 67 counties, Baker County ranked 39, while Duval County is listed at 55.   As for Clay County and Nassau County, they both fell in the top third of counties, with Clay ranked at 9 and Nassau at 18.   As for what's included in the rankings, there are two main categories: Health Outcomes and Health Factors.   Health Outcomes are described as a measure of today's health, while Health Factors are indicators of future health.
  • Nassau County Deputy Eric Oliver’s name is getting added to the National Law Enforcement Memorial in Washington DC, and the Sheriff’s Office is asking for your help sending their Honor Guard there to participate in the program. The Nassau County Sheriff’s Office says Deputy Oliver’s family will be among the tens of thousands of people at the ceremony May 15th. The NCSO Honor Guard wants to participate in the National Police Memorial Day program, but they need community support to cover the cost. Donations will be used for travel, accommodations, and other expenses relating to attending the event. NCSO says Oliver was a member of the Honor Guard.  If you would like to make a donation, you can mail it to Nassau County Sheriff’s Office, Attention Captain Gregory L. Foster, 77151 Citizen’s Circle, Yulee, FL, 32097. Indicate NCSO Charities, Inc, as the paid-to-the-order-of and notate Honor Guard PMD 2017 in the notes. You can contact Captain Foster if you have any questions at 904-509-3783.  Deputy Oliver died after being hit by a vehicle while chasing a suspect on foot in Yulee. The suspect, Francisco Portillo-Fuentes, fled after Border Protection agents started questioning people in a vehicle he was traveling in. Portillo-Fuentes was later found in Jacksonville, and has since pleaded guilty to illegally re-entering the country. Prosecutors say he had been deported from the US twice before, and had only re-entered the country a short time before this fatal run-in.
  • The ongoing maintenance started in January and was originally planned to end mid-March.  Hampton Ray with the Florida Department of Transportation says the contractor has a 200-day contract which expires in May.  The Dames Point Bridge currently has one lane blocked in each direction during the day and multiple lanes blocked at night.  Ray says the reason drivers do not see actual construction crews while traveling over the Dames Point Bridge is because the work is being conducted on the side and below the bridge. Lane closures are necessary because cars traveling over the bridge are going highway speeds and it’s the best way to ensure the safety of the construction crews.  “It’s a temporary inconvenience for a permanent solution. This will definitely add life to the bridge,” Ray says.  FDOT says the contractors are working as quickly as possible to make the bridge stronger and safer as they work on the joints where the bridge connects.  During the night, crews are also working to install a permanent catwalk on the north and south towers which is the reason behind the multiple lanes being shut down. 

The Latest News Headlines

  • A principal at a Christian school in Tulsa, Oklahoma, is facing child porn charges. Jeff Goss is the principal at the Christian Education Alliance in west Tulsa. Goss was arrested Tuesday morning by federal officials after they reportedly caught Goss using an online application to view child pornography. >> Watch the news report here Authorities said the application lets people enter chat rooms and share videos, pictures and more. Agents from Phoenix said Goss showed his face in the chat room, and they were able to track his IP address. Goss reportedly confessed to using the app at least five times. >> Read more trending news Agents said he preferred children ages 10 to 12 and did not care if they were girls or boys. Goss allegedly told officers that he primarily teaches children ages 12 and 13. School officials said they did not find out about the allegations against Goss until FOX23.com called them. They said he did not show up to work Wednesday. The station confirmed that he is in the Tulsa County Jail. The school's website says that it has served home-school families for more than 20 years.
  • Police looking for suspects in armed home invasion robbery The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is working to identify two men suspects involved in an armed home invasion robbery at the Mission Springs apartment complex on March 22nd.  The police investigation revealed, the unknown suspects forced their way into the residence after the victim opened the door. One of the two men was armed with an assault-style riffle with no stock.  The victim was then led around the home at gunpoint, while the suspects looked for items to take.  They were last seen leaving the front door of the home.  Both suspects were described as black men in their early 20’s, 5’6” – 5’10’ tall. Police also say they were both wearing hoodies and dark pants.  If you are able to identify the suspects or have any information you are asked to call the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office or Crime Stoppers to remain anonymous. 
  • WSB-TV has confirmed that the Transportation Security Administration fired a screener who missed a loaded handgun in a passenger’s carry-on bag Sunday morning at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. According to an Atlanta police incident report, Katrina Jackson, of Hoover, Alabama, discovered the handgun as she checked her purse for her passport at the gate. “There’s one thing if you’re missing something suspicious. This was a handgun, so this is a big deal that this got through the TSA screening process,” security expert Brent Brown said. >> Watch the news report here Jackson told police about the gun, and officers showed up at the gate to confiscate her gun and her bag. Jackson told them that she had a permit to carry from Alabama but did not have it with her. Police arrested her. She is charged with unlawful possession of a handgun. “I mean, she violated the law, so we have consequences,” passenger Melissa Monroe said. A TSA spokesperson sent the following statement: “This egregious mistake was unacceptable and the officer, who was still a probationary employee, was immediately and permanently separated from federal service.” >> Read more trending news According to TSA, a screener’s probationary period lasts two years. “We don’t know who else might have gotten through. This one person fortunately turned around and reported herself, but how many of these types of things get through all the time?” Brown said. WSB-TV’s Aaron Diamant learned that TSA screeners detected 198 guns at Atlanta’s airport in 2016, more than any other U.S. airport. Screeners have found 48 guns so far this year, including seven during the same week that the screener missed Jackson’s gun. “This is a crazy world we live in, so, you know, things happen, and if it’s our time, it’s our time. But they’re doing a good job. I think they’re doing a good job,” passenger Tiffany Clinton said. WSB-TV was unable to contact Jackson. The Clayton County solicitor general is handling her case.
  • There’s an empty spot on a St. Johns County home where a 'Blue Lives Matter' flag has flown for years.According to the homeowner, the flag was placed there to show support for family and others in law enforcement.Jeff Gaddie, the homeowner’s father tells Action News Jax, “She did take it down because she doesn’t want to be perceived as breaking the laws or anything.” 'Blue Lives Matter' flag has been removed from this SJC home. Homeowner was asked to take it down after neighbor complaint @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/7q8dqfWrfC— Beth Rousseau (@BethANJax) March 29, 2017 TRENDING: Nearly 50 dachshunds rescued, looking for forever homes When we spoke to Gaddie last week, he explained that his daughter’s request to display the flag was denied after a neighbor complained that it was racist.“I mean that’s just what they told her and that’s what they reacted off of,” Gaddie said.First Coast Association Management, the company that enforces the HOA’s rules, denied the allegation in a post on their website.The online statement outlines the Association’s policy that only allows American and military flags.“I’m not  totally sure that it’s all the HOA board members involved as much as it is the management company. It may be a lack of communication between the two,” Gaddie said.We wanted to hear from the company so we went to their office: They didn’t answer the door. There was also no answer when we tried to contact them by phone. Homeowner tells me this is the flag a neighbor called 'racist' @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/Nyqc8GeJ7o— Beth Rousseau (@BethANJax) March 29, 2017 LOCAL NEWS: Man uses baseball bat to free 2-month-old left in hot car at Jacksonville Lowe's The homeowner has started this online petition.Gaddie said this fight is far from over.“She’s trying to do it the right way where she fights back, appeals it, and tries to get it approved,” Gaddie said.
  • A domestic dispute between a boyfriend and girlfriend in Puerto Rico reportedly led to the brutal death of the woman’s Chihuahua.  According to the BBC, Luis Arroyo, 40, killed the 2-month-old puppy by biting off its head on Feb. 4 in the mountain town of Lares.  >> Read more trending news Arroyo, who was unemployed, had been living with his 38-year-old girlfriend for six months when he punched her and decapitated her puppy, the report said. He pleaded guilty to charges of domestic abuse and animal abuse, and was sentenced to seven years in prison, the BBC reported. Arroyo is also required to pay a $3,000 fine relating to the case, according to the BBC. Read more here.

The Latest News Videos