ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

not-available-day Created with Sketch.
69°
Broken Clouds
H 80° L 61°
  • not-available-day Created with Sketch.
    69°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Sunny. H 80° L 61°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    77°
    Evening
    Mostly Sunny. H 80° L 61°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    62°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 86° L 65°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Family: Husband admitted to killing Deltona woman, children
Close

Family: Husband admitted to killing Deltona woman, children

Family: Husband admitted to killing Deltona woman, children

Family: Husband admitted to killing Deltona woman, children

A family of a Deltona mother and her two children received news they had feared. Authorities in Volusia County said Yessenia Suarez and her children, 8-year-old Michael Otto and 9-year-old Thalia Otto, were dead.

The Sheriff's Office said the search for the victims' bodies and the investigation into their deaths is still ongoing.

Suarez's family told WFTV that detectives told them her husband, Luis Toledo, confessed to killing the three, but detectives would not confirm that.

Toledo, 31, was named a person of interest in the case, but authorities said no charges have been filed.

Suarez's father, Emilio Suarez, talked to WFTV, and said he had a different take than the rest of the family. Emilio Suarez said he's holding out hope until he gets proof that they are deceased.

"I've been praying a lot, and I'm hoping my daughter is with my grandkids. So we don't have that much information from the police. Yesterday, I spoke with a couple of deputies, can't say names because that will interfere with the investigation. But they got a lot of stuff like that. But so far, they haven't found nothing," he said.

Perez called the Sheriff's Office on Wednesday morning and asked for deputies to conduct a well-being check on the 28-year-old at her Covent Gardens Place home in Deltona. When Volusia sheriff's deputies responded to the Deltona address, Suarez and her children were not there.

On Thursday, investigators from Volusia County crossed jurisdictions to pull potential evidence out of a set of dumpsters in Sanford.

Family members said the last time Yessenia's family had seen her was Tuesday evening. They called her cellphone, but said it went straight to voicemail.

Authorities said one of Yessenia's two vehicles was found by Lake Mary police at a Publix parking lot, but there was no sign of her or her children.

Authorities are calling the disappearance suspicious because they said Suarez, a former worker and current student at Rollins College, had been the victim of domestic violence in Lake Mary on Tuesday.

WFTV found out Toledo and Suarez had been talking about separating and that Toledo was angry over some text messages he found on his wife's phone.

That's when he showed up at American K-9 Detection Services, where he confronted Suarez and allegedly slapped her.

Witnesses said Toledo was calm when he left the business Tuesday. But when investigators told him over the phone that he could face charges for slapping his wife, they said Toledo got angry and hung up on them.

Suarez's family said the three went missing just hours later.

Authorities said Toledo arrived at the house a short time later and was subsequently arrested based on Lake Mary Police Department's battery charge from the previous day. He was booked into the Volusia County Jail in Daytona Beach.

"They've been arguing for the past two weeks," Brandon Haught with the Volusia County Sheriff's Office said. "After a domestic violence situation, and then to be out of contact with your own family for quite a while, does raise those suspicions."

WFTV reporter Karla Ray found Toledo had ties to the notorious Latin Kings gang, which is known across the country for violent crime, authorities said.

Ray found out that Toledo was arrested on attempted murder charges 13 years ago, but those charges were eventually dropped before he went to trial.

Toledo was accused of luring a woman to a South Orange County apartment complex near Orange Blossom Trail, where she told investigators she saw three unknown men approaching her, one carrying a baseball bat. The woman said the men had bandanas covering their faces and that they started to beat her up while Toledo repeated, "You set me up."

The 39-year-old victim told investigators at the time she noticed a plastic bag in the back pocket of Toledo's pants. She said it was later put over her head as she was being beaten. The victim went on to say she felt a cord wrapped around her neck and that she had to tear through the bag to breathe.

TWITTER: Follow reporter @BTolisonWFTV on Twitter for the latest on this story as it happens.

FACEBOOK: And you can go to the WFTV Facebook page to help share this story.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • A Jacksonville man is charged with murdering his pregnant girlfriend, which also resulted in the loss of the unborn child.  The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office arrested 38-year-old Armanuel Cummings after they said he stabbed 29-year-old D’Anna Thorn to death.  Police responded to the home on W. 21st Street Saturday evening.  According to JSO, Cummings kicked Thorn out of the house after an argument.  JSO said Thorn was attempting to climb back into the home through a window when Cummings stabbed her repeatedly.  Thorn was transported to the hospital where she and the unborn child passed away.  Cummings was charged with murder. Police said they continue to investigate and more charges could follow pending the completion of an autopsy.
  • Fox News host Sean Hannity is calling an accusation of sexual harassment against him by a conservative commentator a “complete fabrication,” and said he will sue the woman who leveled the charges. Hannity was responding to a radio interview on Friday in which Debbie Schlussel said Hannity once invited her back to his hotel room after a book signing in Detroit. Schlussel, speaking to radio host Pat Campbell, said she was denied a spot on his show after she turned down his advances.  'So I met him there and it was very awkward,' Schlussel said. 'He had me stand up there with him while he signed books, and I felt very weird. These people don't know me and they didn't come for me to sign their books. So then I left to get ready for the show and he said, 'Why don't you come back with me to my hotel?' and I said 'No, I have to get ready for the show.' Hannity released to the New York Daily News in a statement a statement after the show aired on Friday.  'Let me be clear: The comments about me on a radio show this week by this individual are 100 percent false and a complete fabrication. This individual is a serial harasser who has been lying about me for well over a decade. The individual has a history of making provably false statements against me in an effort to slander, smear and (besmirch) my reputation. 'The individual has not just slandered me over the years, but many people who this individual disagrees with. This individual desperately seeks attention by any means necessary, including making unfounded personal attacks and using indefensible and outrageous political rhetoric.' Hannity said he will sue Schlussel, and that he has hired “some of the finest and toughest lawyers in the country.” Schlussel claimed in 2010 that Hannity and the Freedom Alliance, a charity that raises money for wounded veterans, used money donated to vets for things like private jet travel and expensive hotel rooms. The Freedom Alliance and Hannity denied the allegations. The claim by Schlussel came on the week that Bill O’Reilly was fired by Fox News after mounting accusations of sexually harassment.
  • Northeast Florida lawmakers have mixed opinions on how to move forward with gun control legislation, in the wake of a surprising sit-in protest on the House floor.  The call for common sense gun legislation is coming from both sides of the aisle in Congress following the mass shooting in Orlando, though the definition of common sense greatly varies between the left and the right.  Rep. Corrine Brown (D) is tired of her colleagues talking about gun violence without acting through policy.  “It’s just unbelievable that we’re going to have a moment of silent prayer and that’s it,” Brown told WOKV. “How many times are we going to do a moment of silent prayer and then nothing else?”  Led by civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), Democrats stayed on the House floor for more than 25 hours, demanding a vote on gun legislation. The proposed bill would have banned people on the no-fly list from buying a gun.  It was pointed out by Rep. Ander Crewnshaw (R) that the proposed legislation already failed in committee, and received bipartisan pushback.  “It was not appropriate to have a sit-in on the floor of the House about any issue they knew they couldn’t win,” Crewnshaw said. “(Democrats) had a process, they just ignored it, and used some out-of-school tactics.”  Crenshaw sights the motion to discharge, which would’ve brought the bill up for a full vote if Democrats would have secured 218 signatures.  Much like Crewnshaw, Rep. Ted Yoho (R) claims to be open to talking about gun reform. Yoho is open to finding more funding for mental health care and an evolved screening process.  Yoho would like some kind of warning system in place, in the event that anyone once legitimately on a watch list goes to buy a gun. He said he would be “open minded” to a bill proposed by Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), which blocks anyone on a terrorist watch list from buying a gun but also puts in place an appeals process.  It is crucial for both Yoho and Crenshaw that some form of due process is in place for those who may be incorrectly placed on watch lists.  Democrats inside and out of the House posited the protest in the same vein as the civil rights protests in the 1960s. Many decades before #NoBillNoBreak existed, Lewis marched with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through Selma, Ala.   Yoho says aligning this most recent sit-in with the civil rights movement is “despicable.”  “To link this to the civil rights struggle cheapens that and is disrespectful to what the civil rights movement stood for,” Yoho said. “I think it was a very childish action on the part of the Democrats.”  Yoho, a member of the Republican House’s Freedom Caucus, qualifies his criticism of Democrats with disagreement in how Republican leadership handled the protest, as well.  Rep. Ron DeSantis (R) did not accept multiple invitations to comment on this story. 
  • Twelve jurors will decide the future of former Congresswoman Corrine Brown- and they’ll be selected from a group of 65 in a two-day process starting Monday.  Last July, Brown and her Chief of Staff Ronnie Simmons were indicted in a federal fraud case centered on the group “One Door For Education”- which prosecutors say Brown and others represented as a non-profit to solicit donations, but used the more than $800,000 they collected for personal expenses instead. Prosecutors say the trio used Brown’s position as a Congresswoman to promote the group and solicit donations, without One Door having ever been registered as a charity.  Simmons and third alleged co-conspirator, Carla Wiley, have previously pleaded guilty. Brown faces a total of 22 charges including mail fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud, and more. The jury must reach a unanimous decision in order to convict.  WOKV will be in the federal courthouse through the proceedings, which start Monday for two days of jury selection. The trial is slated to start Wednesday and expected to last two weeks.  Court records show the 65 people who have been summoned as prospective jurors have already been initially screened by the court for hardship. They have been randomly numbered, and that randomized list of names- and the corresponding juror number- has already been distributed to the attorneys for both sides.  Jury selection will begin with the judge outlining the nature of the case and questioning the prospective jurors. That process can include questions which have been submitted by the attorneys, at the judge’s discretion.  Federal court records show the US Attorney’s Office has submitted proposed instructions and questions for jury selection. The instructions include reinforcing that their decision should be based on evidence alone and not sympathy or prejudice for the defendant, explaining the burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt and not all possible doubt, how to consider the credibility of a witness, and the meaning of the various charges. The questions include whether the prospective jurors know anyone involved, have any issue with the nature of the charges, have ever been involved in legal proceedings in any capacity, have any impression of the federal government, have any bias against plea agreements, have any political views that could influence the verdict, and more.  After questioning, the panel will be excused while attorneys first raise any challenges “for cause”, and then issue “peremptory” strikes, which don’t have to have a cause. The defense has ten peremptory strikes, while the US Attorney’s Office has six, according to the court records.  Ultimately, twelve jurors will be seated through this process, which works down the list based on the randomly assigned juror numbers. The next two jurors on the list who weren’t seated on the panel will be slated as the alternates- with each side getting one peremptory challenge to exercise on the alternates.  WOKV will have comprehensive coverage through jury selection and the trial proceedings. Check back frequently at WOKV.com for updates.
  • While President Donald Trump seems never to be at a loss for words, both spoken and tweeted, a linguistics professor at Georgetown University says there is one phase that does seem to crop up in his public speaking more often than others.  “Believe me” is the most common two-word phrase the president has used in public in his almost 100-day administration, according to a story from CNN. The network asked Georgetown linguistics professor Jennifer Sclafani to study Trump’s remarks during the past three months. Sclafani said she found that Trump said “believe me” 26 times in speeches since his inauguration. 'Trump doesn't bother to get bogged down by details,' Sclafani told CNN after studying the president’s speech patterns. 'He presents himself as a visionary type of leader, focused solely on his vision for the future of the country.' Click here to read the entire story.

The Latest News Videos