CONSTRUCTION I-95 SB off-ramp to Philips closed 




cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
Few Clouds
H 80° L 62°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Sunny. H 80° L 62°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    Mostly Sunny. H 80° L 62°
  • clear-night
    Mostly Clear. H 82° L 63°

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Former Jaguars head coach Tom Coughlin returns

Former Jaguars head coach Tom Coughlin returns

Former Jaguars head coach Tom Coughlin returns
Photo Credit: Robert Alonso
Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan (middle) poses with new Executive VP of Football Operations Tom Coughlin (left of Khan) and new head coach Doug Marrone (right of Khan) following press conference at EverBank Field.

Former Jaguars head coach Tom Coughlin returns

The legend returns.

Tom Coughlin takes his place once again as a top cat with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but it won’t be as the head coach.

The two-time Super Bowl-winning coach will settle into a front office role instead, overseeing new head coach Doug Marrone and existing general manager Dave Caldwell as the franchise tries to turn itself into the winner Coughlin had made them during his first stint with the Jags.

After he was formally introduced by owner Shad Khan during a press conference this morning at EverBank Field, Coughlin – the new Executive Vice-President of Football Operations - said it’s about putting a winner on the field as soon as possible and holding everyone – including players – accountable for wins and losses.

“I have a vested interest in this team,” Coughlin added. “I want to see this team succeed.”

The 70-year-old Coughlin will be the tie-breaker between Marrone and Caldwell when it comes to personnel and other matters, but he refused to say much of anything regarding the current group of players, stating that he wanted to review the players more before making any moves.

Having said that, Khan made it clear that he feels the Jaguars have a lot of young, talented players who can succeed and he expects that to happen soon, a feeling that Coughlin says he shares.

“What the hell would you be doing this for if it wasn’t to win?” Coughlin stated. “We’re trying to win today.”

Khan also noted that Marrone – who was already on Gus Bradley’s staff when he took over as the interim head coach with two games left in the season – was the “clear-cut” permanent choice after other candidates were interviewed for the job.

“We’re celebrating a homecoming,” Khan stated. “It goes without saying that any football organization that includes Tom Coughlin is going to be one of the best in the NFL. That’s a fact. No need to Google that one.”

Khan also praised Bradley’s efforts in Jacksonville, calling him a friend and saying he had “no regrets” about giving him as much of a chance as possible to succeed.

Coughlin led the Jags to a 68-60 record over the franchise’s first eight seasons as head coach, including four trips to the playoffs and two appearances in the AFC Championship game, the closest the Jaguars have ever gotten to the Super Bowl.

He had better luck in his next head coaching stint with the New York Giants, leading them to improbable Super Bowl victories in 2007 and 2011 before he stepped down in 2015.

Now Coughlin gets to try again in the Bold City, this time while perched over the shoulders of Marrone – who led the Buffalo Bills to a 9-7 record before opting to leave following the 2014 season – and Caldwell, who managed to secure the same three-year deal given to Coughlin and Marrone after Bradley was fired following the Week 15 loss to Houston.

When asked if he had the desire to coach again, Coughlin said he’s motivated to succeed from behind a desk and that was part of what attracted him to this position.

“It is this culture of winning… of doing things the right way all of the time… that needs to be stressed with our team,” Coughlin stated.

During the press conference, Marrone also echoed similar sentiments, saying he hoped all the players were watching and that they were working right now towards making themselves better for next season.

Marrone - who left the Bills after an ownership change triggered an out clause in his contract -also noted that he was in a much different situation now than then and he had every intent to stick around and see the Jaguars to the top.

Even though eight coaches were let go and others have been retained, none of those who are staying have set jobs assigned to them at this time, per Marrone.

Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • At least one person was killed and multiple people were hurt early Sunday when gunshots rang out at Cameo Night Club in Cincinnati, Ohio. >> Read more trending news >> Click here or scroll down for the latest
  • Alex Jones on Friday apologized to the owner of a Washington, D.C., pizzeria for spreading the fake story last year that linked the restaurant to Hillary Clinton’s campaign and human trafficking. Jones, as the Austin, Texas-based host of, has a long history of pushing wild and false conspiracy theories, such as claiming that the U.S. government perpetrated the 9/11 attacks or the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, was a hoax. But in a rare backtracking mea culpa, Jones apologized for his role in promoting the baseless “Pizzagate” story that went viral among right-wing bloggers and media sites during the 2016 presidential campaign. >> Watch the clip here The gist of the fake story accused Hillary Clinton and her presidential campaign chairman, John Podesta, of running a child sex abuse ring through the Comet Ping Pong restaurant owned by James Alefantis. Podesta’s comments about the pizzeria — made in Democratic Party emails exposed by WikiLeaks — became fodder for fake news web portals as well as popular user-generated content sites like Reddit and 4chan. Jones, in a statement he read aloud for his online audience, tried to put some distance between himself and the fake story and blamed “scores of media outlets,” “third-party accounts of alleged activities” and “accounts of (Infowars) reporters who are no longer with us” for the “incorrect narrative” he discussed several times on his program. >> Read more trending news “In our commentary about what had become known as Pizzagate, I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for which I apologize to him,” Jones said. In language that was clearly sculpted by a legal mind hoping to avoid possible litigation, Jones added: “To my knowledge today, neither Mr. Alefantis nor his restaurant Comet Ping Pong, were involved in any human trafficking as was part of the theories about Pizzagate.” For many people, the Pizzagate conspiracy theory became part of the mainstream political discussion only in December, after 28-year-old Edgar Maddison Welch of North Carolina reportedly brought a gun into a Comet Ping Pong packed with customers, and pointed it at an employee in hopes of finding proof of “Pizzagate.” Welch surrendered to police when he found no evidence that children were being harbored there, D.C. police said at the time. He pleaded guilty to weapons and assault charges Friday, CNN reported.
  • For the second time in less than 24 hours, police have swarmed the Las Vegas Strip after at least one person was killed in a shooting near the Cosmopolitan hotel and casino. >> Related: Burglary at Bellagio Hotel and Casino prompts lockdown on Vegas strip Police said Saturday afternoon that the situation was not an active shooter situation.  The suspect peacefully surrendered around 6 p.m., according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. >> Read more trending news Around 11:30 a.m. Las Vegas police reported that they were investigating a shooting that occurred on South Las Vegas Boulevard. Authorities believed an individual who was on a bus that was traveling on the strip is responsible for the shooting. Police closed portions of the strip, and set up a staging area and a barricade. Guests at the Cosmopolitan resort were evacuated. Shortly after 11 a.m., KSNV reported that at least one victim of a shooting had been transported to University Medical Center trauma in unknown condition. At 1 p.m. Saturday, authorities reported a second victim had been killed. According to USA Today, police evacuated the nearby Cosmopolitan hotel and casino shortly after 1 p.m. “The shooting incident happened on the bus,” said Larry Hadfield, a spokesman with Las Vegas Metro police. “We had one single shooting incident with two victims. Both were transported to the trauma center and one is deceased.” Hadfield said police were negotiating with the suspect Saturday afternoon in an effort to take him into custody, USA Today reported. This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 
  • Las Vegas police are investigating a burglary at a retail store in the Bellagio Hotel and Casino after an incident that occurred overnight Friday, The Associated Press reported.  >> Read more trending news Police said Saturday they believe at least three people entered the store. It was not immediately clear what items were stolen. The store was closed at the time of the burglary.  Authorities said the suspects broke into a high-end jewelry and watch store, where they may have used sledgehammers to break into the shop's jewelry cases. A witness said she saw an armed burglar wearing a pig mask near a Rolex store. Authorities said they are reviewing surveillance tape, where they saw multiple suspects wearing “character masks,” ABC News reported. According to ABC News, the Bellagio was on lockdown for approximately a half-hour after the incident. Police initially thought at least one of the theives may have fired gunshots during the burglary, but later said they believed the sound of the sledgehammers breaking the jewelry cases may have been confused for gunshots. Guests fled the hotel and casino in the midst of the incident. No one was injured.  Police have taken one suspect into custody.  Portions of the Bellagio were closed Saturday as police continue to investigate.
  • A couple has been indicted on accusations that they murdered their deaf teenage son and then burned down their house to cover up the crime, the Associated Press reported. >> Read more trending news  According to the Chenango County Sheriff’s Office in New York, Ernest F. Franklin II, 35, and his wife, Heather Franklin, 33, of Guilford, New York, were charged with second-degree murder, arson and tampering with physical evidence. The two were indicted Friday on charges of second-degree murder in the death of their adopted son, 16-year-old Jeffrey Franklin, People magazine reported. Following an investigation of a fire on March 1 at the family’s 1,300-square-foot home, the couple was arrested. Investigators believe they set fire to their home to cover up the killing of their son. An autopsy determined he died prior to the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Local law authorities have not said how or when the boy was killed. The Franklins got married in 2011 and adopted Jeffrey six or seven years ago, the sheriff’s office said. According to People magazine, Ernest is an Iraq War veteran. Heather wrote in posts on her Facebook page that she is pregnant. The Franklins are being held without bail. They entered a plea of not guilty. “People are asking themselves, ‘How could this happen?'” Chenango County Sheriff Ernest Cutting Jr. told People magazine. “Certainly for the public here, it’s a mix of anger and frustration and disappointment.” Just days before Heather Franklin was arrested, she posted an update on her Facebook page about how much she missed her son, who she called JR. She also informed friends and family that she and her husband had added their “needs” and “wants” to the Family Gift Registry because they lost everything in the fire. A GoFundMe page was also established, but it has been taken down. The Associated Press reported that police who responded to a 911 call about 1:15 a.m. on March 1 found the Franklin’s house, located about an hour away from Syracuse, engulfed in flames. Jeffrey was inside and unable to escape the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities initially said the cause of the fire appeared to be a wood stove, the residence’s main heating source. “People are wondering how anybody could do something so brutal to a developmentally disabled and handicapped 16-year-old boy,” Cutting told People. “There are a lot of people who would have taken him. There are organizations that would have taken care of him. Why resort to that? … It’s just a terrible, terrible tragedy.”

The Latest News Videos