ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
60°
Sunny
H 71° L 48°
  • cloudy-day
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 71° L 48°
  • clear-day
    49°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 71° L 48°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 71° L 61°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Gov. Scott 'infuriated' over sequestration response
Close

Gov. Scott 'infuriated' over sequestration response

Gov. Scott 'infuriated' over sequestration response
Photo Credit: Stephanie Brown
Florida Governor Rick Scott speaks to the media at the Jacksonville Landing.

Gov. Scott 'infuriated' over sequestration response

Florida Governor Rick Scott had only one thing to say about the response he received from the Department of Defense over his sequestration concerns:

“It’s infuriating.”

Earlier this week, Scott had sent a letter to the President outlining his concerns about sequestration, including that it may delay the arrival of Navy ships here in Jacksonville or affect the Florida National Guard statewide.  Friday night, Scott received a response from the Deputy Secretary of Defense detailing what the DOD knows about cuts so far.

Specifically in Jacksonville, the Navy is losing $135 million in funding for aircraft depot maintenance.  There will also be cuts at nearby Camp Blanding as the Army scales back $7 million statewide.  The letter further reaffirms that most civilian DOD employees will be furloughed for 22 days and concludes by mentioning defense contractors will also take a hit.

“They should have sat down and done their job, they shouldn’t have played politics because they’re playing politics with family’s lives in Florida,” Scott says.

He holds specifically the President responsible for the cuts, but says lawmakers are on the hook as well.  He believes neither should get any pay until the sequester is ended.

“It’s infuriating that they’re just playing politics like this with jobs in our state,” he says.

But while politics continue to tie things up, Scott says he will do his best to defer the hits to Florida.

“We’re gunna do everything at the state level to take care of the military.  We care about the military,” he says.

Scott plans to talk with lawmakers at all levels of government to continue to press for an end to the cuts.  I specifically asked him whether there should be some legislative protections put in at the state level, with the session kicking off next week.  He didn’t mention anything finite, but reiterated that he will do what he can to protect Florida families.

“We don’t need these cuts in Florida right now, when we’re working very diligently to turn our economy around,” he says.

Scott wants lawmakers to take a look at the job growth he says Florida has seen when figuring out the best direction to take the nation.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • In an address on state television Sunday, Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe  defied expectations he would resign, Reuters reported. The 93-year-old, who has led the country since it gained independence in 1980 from Great Britain, pledged to preside over a ZANU-PF congress next month even though the ruling party had removed him as its leader hours earlier. >> Read more trending news ZANU-PF had given Mugabe less than 24 hours to quit as head of state or face impeachment, Reuters reported.  During his address on state television, Mugabe acknowledged criticism against him from ZANU-PF, the military and the public, but did not speak about resigning, Reuters reported. Earlier, Mugabe was replaced as party leader by Emmerson Mnangagwa, the deputy he fired this month,  Reuters reported.“He has been expelled,” one of the delegates said. “Mnangagwa is our new leader.” Mugabe’s wife, Grace, who had harbored ambitions of succeeding the 93-year-old leader, was also expelled from the party, Reuters reported.
  • Its been another violent weekend in the river city as JSO is investigating multiple shootings.  The first reported shooting happened on the Southside. Police were called out to Belfort Rd. and Dickie Dr. around 1:45 Saturday afternoon, and JSO says when they arrived they could not find any victims. Police say they learned through witnesses that two victims left the scene. After another call came in for police and they went to St. Vincent’s Hospital South and found a woman and man with injuries. JSO says the woman drove the man to the hospital after the incident near Belfort Rd. Police say witnesses saw several men in their mid-20’s beating up the male victim in a neighbor’s front yard. After the beating, police say the suspects left and the male victim got into a car with the female victim. Police say that’s when another car drive up and shot multiple times into the victim’s car before driving away north on Belfort Rd.  Police say the man had life-threatening injuries and the woman had non-life-threatening injuries.    Then later Saturday JSO was called out around 9pm to Columbus Ave, on the Northside, after getting reports that 2 people there were shot. Police say when they got to the scene they found a 26-year-old white woman dead in the road and a 29-year-old white man with life-threating injuries.  JSO says at this point they don’t know exactly what happened that led to the shooting and they don’t have any information on any suspect or suspects. Police say they are looking through the area for evidence.  Early Sunday morning JSO were then called out to Melanie Ave, on the Northside, after getting a call that 2 people were shot. Police say the incident happened around 12:45 in the morning. Police say when they got to the scene they found a white man dead on the porch. After they searched the home they found another victim, this one was a 16-year-old white female and police say she had life threatening injuries. Police say she was taken to the hospital.  Police say the victims, and a suspect they knew, were involved in an argument which escalated. JSO says the suspect, a black man, shot the victims then left the area. Police are interviewing witnesses, trying to identify the suspect.   At around 3:15 Sunday morning police were called out to an incident on I-95 northbound near the Union St. exit about a car crash with a man inside who was dead from a gunshot wound. The victim in this incident has been identified as 25-year-old Steven Shawn Grady. Police say he is from Castle Hayne, North Carolina. According to JSO there were 2 other people in the car, and those 2 are being questioned by police. Police say this shooting is not being investigated as a random act of violence by a stranger.  Police are asking if you have any information on the shootings to give them a call at 904-630-0500. 
  • Here’s what we know about the fatal shooting of a New Kensington, Pennsylvania, police officer: >> Visit WPXI.com for complete coverage >> Click here or scroll down for more >> Read more trending news
  • A Texas sheriff is getting angry feedback from free speech advocates after he wrote a Facebook post, which has since been deleted, threatening charges against a driver for a profane anti-Trump sticker on the window of her truck. Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy E. Nehls posted a photo on his Facebook page Wednesday that showed a white GMC Sierra with a window decal that reads, “(EXPLETIVE) TRUMP AND (EXPLETIVE) YOU FOR VOTING FOR HIM.” The photo shared by Nehls was censored to block a portion of the offending word. Similar images found online indicate that Nehls also blocked out a middle finger aimed at those reading the sticker.  In Nehls’ now-deleted post, which was saved and shared by the ACLU, the sheriff asked anyone who knows the owner of the truck to contact his office.  “I have received numerous calls regarding the offensive display on this truck, as it is often seen along FM 359,” Nehls wrote. “Our prosecutor has informed us she would accept disorderly conduct charges regarding it, but I feel we could come to an agreement regarding a modification to it.” The ACLU, in turn, asked the driver of the truck to contact the ACLU of Texas.  “No, Sheriff Troy E. Nehls, you can’t prosecute speech just because it contains words you don’t like,” the ACLU’s post read.  The Texas branch of the organization also spoke out, posting on Facebook details of the constitutional protections for profane and indecent speech. “Constitutional Law 101: You can’t ban speech just because it has (expletive) in it,” the post read. “Hey truck owner, feel free to contact the ACLU of Texas.” The driver of the truck, Karen Fonseca, did reach out to the Houston Chronicle. Fonseca, 46, said the truck is her husband’s, but she often drives it. She also said she used to work for Nehls in the county jail. Fonseca told the Chronicle that the sticker attracted plenty of attention even before the sheriff learned of it. People often honk their horns and take pictures. “It’s not to cause hate or animosity,” Fonseca told the newspaper. “It’s just our freedom of speech, and we’re exercising it.” >> Read more trending news She said police officers have pulled her over because of the sticker, but that they failed to come up with a reason to ticket her. She said she has no plan to contact her former boss about modifying the sticker.  Fort Bend District Attorney John Healey told the Chronicle that the sticker does not constitute a criminal offense, no matter what one of his own prosecutors may have told Nehls.  “I did not believe it was a prosecutable case based on the definition of disorderly conduct,” Healey said.  Both Healey and Nehls are Republicans, the Chronicle reported. Though Healey is not running for re-election, Nehls is considering a bid for Congress.  The sheriff said his concern was that the language on the sticker could cause a dangerous confrontation. “Many families have called that have seen that truck on our county roadways and are very offended by the language on the truck,” Nehls said. “I think they’re walking a fine line.”
  • The 45th American Music Awards ceremony is set for Sunday in Los Angeles, and if the past is any indication, you can expect a night with a few surprising moments.  Remember Garth Brooks declining the award, or the time Pat Boone dressed in leather? Yeah, it’s likely to be that kind of night. The show will be broadcast live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. Here’s what you need to know about the show. What time: The show begins at 8 p.m. ET What channel: The AMAs will be broadcast live on ABC. Who is hosting: Tracee Ellis Ross, star of “black-ish,” is hosting. What about a pre-show: What would a music awards show be without a pre-show? AJ Gibson, Marc Malkin, Laura Marano and Oliver Trevena will host the official pre-show, “AMAs Red Carpet Live presented by Security Benefit.” The two-hour pre-show will stream live from the Microsoft Theater beginning at 6 p.m. ET. You can watch the show on Twitter. Find it here. live.twitter.com/amas or via @AMAs. You can also watch “E! Live from the Red Carpet” from 6-8 p.m. ET. on the E! Network. Who has the most nominations: Bruno Mars has the most nominations this year – eight. Who is nominated for Artist of the Year: The Chainsmokers, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran are up for the award. Who is up for Video of the Year: Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee ('Despacito'), Bruno Mars ('That's What I Like') and Ed Sheeran ('Shape of You') are the nominees. For a complete list of nominees, click here. Who is performing: Here is a list of those scheduled to perform: Alessia Cara Alesso BTS Christina Aguilera  Kelly Clarkson  Florida Georgia Line Niall Horan Selena Gomez Imagine Dragons Lady Gaga Nick Jonas Khalid Demi Lovato  Shawn Mendes P!nk Portugal. The Man Diana Ross Hailee Steinfeld watt Zedd Anything special: Diana Ross, mother of host Tracee Ellis Ross, is both performing and receiving a lifetime achievement award.

The Latest News Videos