H 68° L 49°
  • foggy-day
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 68° L 49°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 68° L 49°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 73° L 54°

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Gunman in firefighter hostage standoff ID'd

Gunman in firefighter hostage standoff ID'd

Gunman in firefighter hostage standoff ID'd
Photo Credit: WSB-TV
Police say Lauren Holman Brown is the man who took 5 Gwinnett County firefighters hostage.

Gunman in firefighter hostage standoff ID'd

Channel 2's Richard Elliot, Craig Lucie and Kerry Kavanaugh contributed to this article

Channel 2 Action News has confirmed the identity of the man who held five firefighters hostage Wednesday afternoon as Lauren Holman Brown.

All five Gwinnett County firefighters who were held hostage Wednesday afternoon have been released from the hospital after being treated for superficial shrapnel injuries.

Fire officials said just before 5 p.m. Wednesday, an unidentified man faked having a heart attack to draw the firefighters to his home at 2440 Walnut Grove Way, near Collins Hill and Taylor roads. The neighborhood is across from Walnut Grove Elementary School off Interstate 85.   

It is unclear what motivated the gunman to hold the firefighters hostage.

One of the firefighters was released early on, but four more remained inside the home.

Channel 2 Action News obtained radio transmissions from inside the home while the hostage situation was going on.

"(He has) multiple guns, multiple rifles," the firefighter said. "We're in a situation where we have an armed person and he is requesting certain utilities to be turned back on at his house. He is armed and we are in the room with him.”

Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh said several Gwinnett County SWAT officers were already at the home when she arrived just after 5 p.m.

For several hours, the man in the home demanded that his utilities be turned back on. A Freddie Mac spokesperson confirmed that the home is in foreclosure and being prepped for sale.

Around 7:30 p.m., police decided to send in SWAT officers.

"It got to the point where we believed that their lives were in immediate danger and our SWAT team made a decision to go in there and neutralize the situation," Cpl. Ed Ritter of the Gwinnett County Police Department said.

SWAT officers used flash-bang, or concussion grenades, to catch the gunman off-guard as they entered the home.

A source told Kavanaugh that the SWAT officers used a breaching charge, which was designed to breach the window, wall and door of the home. The source said the damage to the home was intended, and officers knew where the firefighters were located inside the home at the time of the explosion.

The goal of the blast was to disorient and distract the gunman.

Officials said gunfire was exchanged, but it is unclear if the man shot himself, or if he was killed by officers.

One of the officers was shot in the hand, but officials told Kavanaugh he is in good condition.

The firefighters involved were called to the home because they are cross-trained as emergency medical technicians, Gwinnett Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge told Kavanaugh.

"This was a typical emergency response, no indication that anything would go wrong, and firefighters went in with their multiple equipment to perform patient care and meet the need of the person who is inside," he said.

Rutledge said the department is relieved that everyone involved escaped safely.

"In talking to firefighters and their families, they are relieved, simply relieved, that situation is over, that family members (are) with them," Rutledge said.

The identities of the firefighters have not been released.

Officers are expected to return to the home on Thursday to continue their investigation.

Firefighters leave hospital

As of late Wednesday night, all of the firefighters had been released from Gwinnett Medical Center in Lawrenceville. Officials said the officer who was shot is in good condition.

Channel 2's Craig Lucie arrived at the hospital shortly after the firefighters were released late Wednesday night and found a large number of firefighters and police starting to gather.

A Gwinnett County fire truck was parked in front of the Gwinnett Medical Center emergency room where police continued to stand by late Wednesday night.

A hospital spokesperson couldn't say by law what the extent of the firefighters' injuries were, but did say all five firefighters and a Gwinnett County police officer who was shot, were in good condition.

"We are staffed with trauma surgeons and appropriate staff to handle emergencies such as these. We followed emergency protocol and the plan went accordingly," Gwinnett Medical Center spokeswoman Beth Okun said.

"Those firefighters again had superficial injuries, not from gunfire, due to shrapnel being detonated," Rutledge said.

As the scene unfolded, Lucie stopped by several fire stations, including Fire Station 13, where their fire trucks were gone. A firefighter at another station told Lucie that they were watching everything unfold live on TV.

"Certainly every firehouse, every firefighter off duty, command staff members, everyone was glued to the coverage," Rutledge said.

Rutledge said the firefighters would also meet with the critical incident stress management team since this was an extremely emotional and tense situation for a couple of hours.

More on the gunman

As the hostage drama unfolded, Channel 2 Action News started digging into the history of the home and the man believed to be the hostage taker.

Channel 2 identified the gunman Wednesday evening, but refrained from identifying him until his name was confirmed by police.

While motive remains unclear, Channel 2's Richard Elliot learned the home itself was in foreclosure. Freddie Mac spokesman Brad German confirmed the home was owned first by Wells Fargo and then sold to Freddie Mac.

Elliot confirmed there was renter living inside and apparently, the man had his utilities turned off.

Neighbors react to hostage situation

Neighbor Steven Hayes said he thought his wife, who was home with their two young kids, was joking when she told him their neighborhood was filled with law enforcement cars.

"She told me when I was at work that a bunch of cops were coming and the SWAT was outside. At first I didn't believe her. I thought it was a prank until she sent me some pictures and they just kept showing up. The whole neighborhood is just full of SWAT and cops right now," Hayes said.

Channel 2's Richard Elliot spoke to a resident near the front entrance of the neighborhood. Jake Major said his mother, who was supposed to pick him up from work, was stuck inside their home.

"She was supposed to be at my job at 4:30 to pick me up," Major said.

He said she called him back to tell him that she couldn't leave because of the SWAT situation.

"Her and my three brothers are there and the handyman (is) there. Can't nobody get out," Major said. "She said (officers) were going door to door telling everybody they can't leave the house right now."

Major told Elliot his neighbor seemed odd, but not out of the ordinary.

"I mean, I cut his grass maybe three, four times, but nothing out of the ordinary, I would say. I mean, he had long hair and a ponytail, but I mean, nothing out of the ordinary," Major told Elliot. "Very messy house. House was a mess. I do remember that."

Police restricted people from entering the neighborhood during the ordeal.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • A 15-year-old Florida teen is in custody at the U.S.-Canada border, hours after police discovered the body of a woman believed to be his missing grandmother in a shallow grave near the boy’s home, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reported. Logan Tyler Mott was detained by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection as he tried to enter Canada from Buffalo, New York, sheriff’s deputies said. The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office had called Mott “armed and dangerous” and a person of interest in the death of his grandmother, 53-year-old Kristina June French. Mott was being watched by French at her Neptune Beach home while his father, a Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office corrections officer, was on vacation. Mott’s mother, Carrie Campbell-Mott, said the boy’s father, Eric Mott, was on vacation with his girlfriend. Eric Mott took an Uber home from the airport Wednesday after French never showed up to get them, Campbell-Mott said. When they got home, the door to their home was open and the house was ransacked, Campbell-Mott said. Eric Mott's guns were missing from a gun safe, Campbell-Mott said. French’s home in the Mayport area also was ransacked. Her weapons were gone, along with her Dodge Dart. Mott and French were reported missing after Logan didn't show up to high school on Monday or Tuesday. French also didn't show up for work Monday or Tuesday. A warrant was issued for his arrest Thursday on a charge of auto theft, deputies said. Originally, deputies believed that Tyler Mott and French may have been traveling together in the Dodge Dart. A missing child alert was issued by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The teen and the missing vehicle were spotted Thursday on surveillance video in south central Pennsylvania, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reported. In a statement, Campbell-Mott she was “relieved” that her son was in custody. “We just ask for everyone to give us time to sort out what happened,” Campbell-Mott said. “That no matter what, Logan is our child and we love him and are standing by him to help in any way. We want to find out what happened to Kristina and we need time for that to happen.” Campbell-Mott said a sheriff’s detective will fly to meet Logan on Saturday. In a statement, the May Institute, a nonprofit organization that employed French, said it was “truly devastated” to learn of her death. “Kristina was a friend and a role model to so many people. … She was a true champion for people with disabilities and advocated tirelessly for human rights. “We have lost a beautiful person and she will be dearly missed. It is a very sad day.”
  • UPDATE 11/24/17 11:16 pm: JSO says Logan Mott has been detained by US Customs and Border Protection, as he tried to enter Canada from the Buffalo, New York area. ORIGINAL STORY: It's a tragic update in the days-long search to find a missing 15-year-old and his grandmother.  The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office announcing Friday afternoon they do believe foul play was involved, as they've recovered what they believe to be the body of 53-year-old Kristina French in the backyard of a Neptune Beach home connected to the two.  'The burial site was excavated today and human remains were located. They appear consistent with the description of Kristina French, but there will be no positive identification until the autopsy is completed by the medical examiner,' says JSO's Director of Investigations, Ron Lendvay.  At this point, JSO says 15-year-old Logan Mott is still missing, as is the silver Dodge Dart. Police say they do believe Mott is alive and in that vehicle.  'We have video surveillance of an individual we believe to be Logan Mott, with what we believe to be the car that's missing in this case, in south central Pennsylvania yesterday at 1:15 pm,' says Lendvay.  JSO says they're in the process of obtaining an arrest warrant for Mott for auto theft. He's also considered a person of interest in connection to the death of the person found in the backyard of the home on Seagate Avenue.  Police say Mott may also be in possession of firearms, as guns had been reported missing from that home, so if you do see him, you’re urged to call 911.
  • Phoenix teenager Jamal Hinton and grandmother Wanda Hence have turned their internet fame from 2016 into a tradition. >> Read more trending news Last year, Hence thought she was texting her grandson to invite him to dinner in a group text, but she was actually texting Jamal Hinton, 17. Hinton asked who was texting him and was told it was his grandmother. “I really thought it was my grandma, so I had to ask for a picture to make sure,” Hinton told BuzzFeed. The result was a selfie exchange from Hence to which Hinton replied, 'You're not my grandma!' But Hinton asked if he could still get a plate of food despite the mistake. Hence replied, “Of course you can. That's what grandmas do ... feed everyone.' KNXV reported that Hinton joined Hence’s family for dinner and is now her 'honorary grandson.' When Hinton arrived and shook Hence’s hand, the two soon embraced for a hug. 'I'd never seen her before and she welcomed me into her home,' Hinton told KNXV. 'That shows me how great of a person she is. I'm thankful for people like that.' 'He always has an open invite to our house for Thanksgiving,' Hence told WVEC Friday.   
  • Heads up, St. Johns County residents. The county says the St. Augustine Beach Pope Road beach access point will be closed beginning, Monday, November 27th, due to an Army Corps of Engineers beach renourishment project.  That project is expected to last through spring 2018, with the Pope Road beach access point remaining closed that entire time.  The county say the renourishment will help critically-eroded areas between Anastasia State Park and 8th Street in St. Augustine Beach.  The beach will remain open outside of work areas, but you're urged to use caution in the area.  For more information, click HERE.
  • UPDATE Friday morning:  Logan Mott’s mother has posted a heartfelt message on Facebook, pleading for a safe return of her 15-year-old son and his grandmother, Kristina French.  UPDATE 11/23/17 5:40 PM: The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says there’s no new information to release. ORIGINAL STORY: A missing child alert has been issued for 15-year-old Logan Mott out of Neptune Beach.  The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Jacksonville Police believe Logan is in the company of his grandmother, 53-year-old Kristina French.  The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says firearms are missing from a home they are associated with. Our partners at Action News Jax spoke with Logan’s mother who says the home that had the firearms looked like it had been ransacked.  The two are believed to traveling in a 2015 silver Dodge Dart with Florida tag D-L-L-T-4-2.  JSO says with the firearms missing, you should not approach them if you see them. You are asked to call 911. This is a developing story, check back for more updates. 

The Latest News Videos