JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Fourth of July fireworks celebration at Jacksonville Beach is back on again this summer after being cancelled in 2012.
On Monday night, the Jacksonville Beach City Council - with Mayor Charlie Latham present - voted 6-1 to reinstate the fireworks.
For many beach businesses like Sea Shells & Souvenirs, it’s the day they spend all year preparing for.
“We have a few main days and that’s number one,” manager Brooke Pierce tells our news partner Action News.
She says it was tough to break it to her customers last year when the show was cancelled.
Even though the only Councilman who voted in opposition was Steve Hartkemeyer, other city leaders still expressed concerns.
“I personally do not recommend fireworks. I think everyone knows the problems we had the last year we did," said City Manager George Forbes.
"It is more complex, more difficult, and more costly from the city staff standpoint if we have the fireworks," said Chief Patrick Dooley with the Jacksonville Beach Police Department.
A 15 to 20 minute fireworks show will cost the city $25,000 to produce, plus an extra $2,000 for security.
City officials say they plan to consider different fundraising options to help offset that cost.
The City Council also approved a family-friendly Fourth of July celebration to take place prior to the fireworks. That will happen at the Seawalk Pavilion from 4 to 9 p.m. The event will be co-sponsored by Jax Beach Festivals, Inc.