Breaking News:

CRASH on I-295 E Beltway NB at Pulaski blocking ALL lanes 

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day
88°
Sunny
H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 92° L 77°
  • clear-day
    78°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    90°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 79°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Judge rules against admitting abuse allegations leveled at slain toddler’s father
Close

Judge rules against admitting abuse allegations leveled at slain toddler’s father

Father of murdered Bruswick Baby testifies

Judge rules against admitting abuse allegations leveled at slain toddler’s father

The defense in the Brunswick baby killing trial, which has suggested “one or both parents” may have been involved n the slain toddler’s killing, was dealt a last-minute blow Thursday when the judge blocked questions about the father’s history of troubled relationships.

On Wednesday, two women formerly married to Louis Santiago testified they believed he had something to do with his son’s death. Both witnesses, who alleged they had been beaten and threatened by Santiago, said they called police to share their suspicions but never received a response.

Jurors didn’t hear that testimony, which was allowed in support of a defense motion to dismiss the indictment against De’Marquise Elkins, charged with fatally shooting 13-month-old Antonio Santiago between the eyes as he sat in his stroller following a botched robbery attempt. The baby’s mother, Sherry West, was shot in the leg following a struggle over her purse.

West’s daughter, Ashley Glassey, testified earlier that she contacted police on March 22 — the day after the shooting — regarding a phone conversation with her mother but never heard back.

“I told them I had a conversation with my mom and some of the things she told me didn’t add up. I needed to talk to a detective on the case,” Glassey, 22, testified.

Authorities “investigated this case with blinders (on) and failed to follow up on obvious leads,” defense attorney Kevin Gough said.

Kelley rejected the motion to dismiss.

On Thursday, the judge prohibited Gough from exploring the allegations made by Santiago’s former wives in the presence of jurors, saying they were irrelevant to the charges at hand.

“I’m not going to let you go into his marriages 20 years ago,” said Kelley.

Jurors did hear testimony from a Brunswick minister about Santiago’s behavior after learning his son had been killed.

Rev. Wright Culpepper, who was at the hospital along with West, described him as “unemotional. “

“There didn’t seem to be any warmth or compassion being exchanged between the two,” he said.

Santiago testified that when he saw his son in the hospital he clipped a lock of his hair which he keeps at his home, along with Antonio’s ashes.

Closing arguments are expected on Friday after two weeks of testimony. The trial was moved to Cobb County due to the extensive media coverage the case has received.

Karimah Elkins, accused of lying to police and throwing the .22-caliber handgun used to shoot the toddler into a saltwater pond north of Brunswick, is being tried alongside her 18-year-old son. Neither plans to testify.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • A 3-year-old boy vacationing with his family in the Florida Keys died after he wandered off and ended up in a canal, according to news reports. >> Read more trending news The family had arrived at Key Colony Beach near Marathon on Saturday evening after traveling from their home in Gainesville, Georgia, the Miami Herald reported. While they were unpacking, Andrew Williams got out of the home they were renting and headed toward a canal, the paper said. A neighbor started screaming when she found him in the water around 6:45 p.m. The neighbor’s husband pulled Andrew out, and by then his parents, Erica and Jeffrey Williams, arrived, according to a Monroe County Sheriff’s Office report obtained by the Miami Herald.  The boy’s father started to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation on his son until Marathon Fire-Rescue paramedics arrived and took over, the report said.  Andrew was taken to a hospital where he died just before 10 p.m., according to officials. Read more at the Miami Herald
  • Sears announced Thursday that it will begin sellling its full line of Kenmore-brand appliances online through Amazon. The retailer, which has been struggling the past few years and has closed stores across the country, saw an 8 percent jump in the price of its stock in pre-market trading on the announcement. 'We continuously look for opportunities to enhance the reach of our iconic brands to more customers and create additional value from our assets,' Sears CEO Eddie Lampert said in a statement. Sears Holdings  announced earlier this month that it would be closing an additional 35 Kmart stores and eight Sears locations across the country. The company had already announced the closing of more than 300 Kmarts and Sears locations since January. 'This collaboration is the first of its kind for Kenmore, broadening its accessibility to the next generation of American families outside of Sears branded retail channels,' Tom Park, president of the Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard brands at Sears said.
  • A total of three people have been taken to the hospital after a lightning strike in Mandarin- two of the victims are in critical condition. JSO says a total of four men were on the roof of a home at the time of the strike. The men were doing roofing work, with the home under construction. One of the four men was not hurt and another was taken to the hospital as a precaution with minor burn injuries. One of the men in critical condition suffered burns from a direct lightning strike, while the other suffered injuries after falling from the roof. There were isolated, but strong storms in the area at the time of the strike. OSHA tells WOKV they will investigate, with this happening at a home construction site. We’re gathering more information about what happened and will continue to update this story through the day.
  • The state senator who helped push through Ohio’s medical marijuana law wants to ask U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Drug Enforcement Agency and the U.S. Congress to re-classify cannabis. >> Read more trending news State Sen. Kenny Yuko, D-Richmond Heights, introduced a resolution in the Ohio Senate on Wednesday that would make a formal request to the feds to drop marijuana from the list of controlled substances. The resolution, which would have to pass both the Ohio House and Senate, doesn’t carry much clout. It is a mechanism for sending a message on an issue. Ohio and 28 other states have embraced medical marijuana programs, even though the drug is still considered illegal under federal Controlled Substances Act. The prohibition makes clinical studies about marijuana’s medical benefits more difficult, the resolution said. Likewise, it makes getting health insurance to cover medical marijuana and getting banks to handle financial transactions more difficult, the resolution said. Ohio’s medical marijuana law, signed by Gov. John Kasich in June 2016, took effect in September. While the Obama administration took a hands-off approach on medical marijuana in states with well-regulated programs, the Trump administration seems to be taking a different stance. “Drug traffickers already cultivate and distribute marijuana inside the United States under the guise of state medical marijuana laws,” Sessions wrote in a May 1 letter to congressional leaders. Under Ohio’s new program, three state agencies -- Department of Commerce, Board of Pharmacy and State Medical Board -- will oversee regulations for growers, doctors, patients and dispensaries. State authorities are currently writing rules for processors, testing labs and dispensaries and are considering applications from companies vying for 24 cultivator licenses.
  • The Nevada Parole Board voted unanimously Thursday to grant former football star O.J. Simpson parole in his 2008 conviction on charges including kidnapping and armed robbery.  >> Read more trending news Simpson is expected to leave the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada this fall after nine years behind bars, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. The decision came down Thursday after Simpson, 70, spoke before the Nevada Parole Board, telling the four-person panel he was remorseful for his actions in 2007. “I haven’t made any excuses in the nine years I’ve been here, and I’m not trying to make an excuse now,” he said. Simpson was sentenced to 33 years behind bars for his part in a 2007 armed robbery at a Las Vegas hotel room. He was found guilty on a dozen charges, including kidnapping. Simpson claimed he confronted a pair of memorabilia collectors, Bruce Fromong and Alfred Beardsley, in 2007 in an attempt to recover items that had been stolen from him, according to The Associated Press. Among the mementos and memorabilia he hoped to recover were family photos and his first wife’s wedding ring. Fromong spoke Thursday in favor of Simpson’s release and said he and Simpson had long ago made peace. “We all make mistakes,” Fromong said. “O.J. made his. He’s been here and from what I’ve been told he’s been a model inmate. He’s been an example to others.” Simpson had no disciplinary issues while behind bars and took numerous classes, according to testimony before the parole board. Simpson said he took a conflict resolution course that made a particular impact on him and said he had been called in to mediate issues between other inmates at the Lovelock Correction Center. Nevada Board of Parole commissioner Susan Jackson held up thick stacks of letters at Thursday’s hearing, some of the hundreds of letters she said the board had received from Simpson’s supporters and detractors. Many of the letters mentioned Simpson’s 1995 acquittal in the murder of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown, and her friend, Ron Goldman. Jackson said the case would not be considered in Thursday’s deliberations. Parole board commissioner Connie Bisbee said Simpson has plans to resettle in Florida, where he was living before his 2008 conviction. Officials in Florida said in a statement that “if Nevada’s request meets all criteria, Florida must accept the transfer.” “As is the case with any offender who transfers under this routine procedure, he will be assigned a Florida probation officer and will be supervised in accordance with the conditions of his parole,” said Michelle Glady, director of communications for the Florida Department of Corrections. Simpson in 2013 was granted parole on the armed robbery conviction. Thursday’s hearing addressed the other 11 charges from his 2008 conviction, according to USA Today. Simpson, a former football running back who has appeared in nearly two dozen movies and television shows, was found not guilty of murder in 1995 after Brown and Goldman were found stabbed to death outside Brown’s Los Angeles townhouse. The case, which captivated TV audiences around the globe, was dubbed the “Trial of the Century.”

The Latest News Videos