ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

foggy-day
55°
Cloudy
H 75° L 63°
  • foggy-day
    55°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 75° L 63°
  • cloudy-day
    68°
    Evening
    Cloudy. H 75° L 63°
  • rain-day
    64°
    Morning
    Few Showers. H 71° L 45°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Man connected to death of Nassau Deputy to plead guilty to illegally re-entering US
Close

Man connected to death of Nassau Deputy to plead guilty to illegally re-entering US

Man connected to death of Nassau Deputy to plead guilty to illegally re-entering US
Photo Credit: Action News Jax
Francisco Obbidio Portillo-Fuentes

Man connected to death of Nassau Deputy to plead guilty to illegally re-entering US

He didn’t mean to hurt anyone.

The attorney for Francisco Portillo-Fuentes says he doesn’t believe his client should be charged in connection to the death of Nassau County Deputy Eric Oliver. Portillo-Fuentes was running from Border Patrol agents in Yulee last week when Deputy Oliver pursued on foot, and was fatally hit by a vehicle. Portillo-Fuentes stayed on the run for most of the day, until he was tracked down in Jacksonville that evening.

Since then, Portillo-Fuentes has been held in federal custody on a charge of felony re-entry in to the US. In federal court today, his attorney said Portillo-Fuentes intends to plead guilty to the felony re-entry charge, and will likely do so at a hearing that’s been scheduled for December 5th.

Portillo-Fuentes was in court today for a detention hearing, but that was waived. He remains in federal custody, and could get up to two years in prison for the re-entry charge.

Federal court records show Portillo-Fuentes had been deported from the US twice before, including once just a few weeks ago. The criminal complaint says he admitted to coming back in to the US by crossing the Rio Grande in Texas just a few days before he was questioned by Border Patrol at a Yulee gas station. Several people were being questioned when Portillo-Fuentes fled on foot.

Currently, Portillo-Fuentes does not face any charges for the death of Nassau County Deputy Eric Oliver. Oliver and another deputy were chasing the suspect on foot when Oliver was hit by a vehicle and died.

Deputy Oliver leaves behind a six-year-old daughter. He was laid to rest this past weekend.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • Authorities found a missing hiker alive early Monday after an overnight search in a Cherokee County park, Canton police said. >> Read more trending news Officers said Brendan Dowling, 41, of Kennesaw, was walking on the trails behind Boling Park in Canton when he called 911 about 6:30 p.m. Sunday and said he was lost on Rampley Trail. He told authorities that his cellphone battery was dying, and it died during the call, police spokesman Pacer Cordry said. Officers launched a search for Dowling and found his vehicle in Boling Park a short time later. At that point, Canton police as well as Cherokee fire and sheriff’s officials launched a wider search using ATVs and a police helicopter. Dowling was found on a wooded trail about 4:30 a.m. wearing a T-shirt and shorts, Cordry said. He was evaluated by search and rescue personnel and later reunited with family. 'He's an avid runner according to his family, so he's used to running in the woods and trails like this, but obviously he got turned around tonight,' Cordry said. Authorities are still not sure how he got lost. “We’re still waiting on those details,” Cordry said. “I believe he just entered into the trail and it got dark really quick on him. It’s easy to get turned around in these wooded areas out here.” The Atlanta Journal-Constitution contributed to this report.
  • Police in Henry County searched a hotel in McDonough on Monday morning after getting reports of an armed man at the hotel. >> Read more trending news
  • We are learning more about the California home where police say 13 siblings were kept in subhuman conditions by their parents.  >> Watch the news report here Although the children in the home, ages 2 to 29, were only allowed to bathe twice a year and eat once a day, they were allowed to write in journals, authorities said. District Attorney Mike Hestrin said in a press conference that the children kept hundreds of journals, and he believes they will be “very significant” in the upcoming court case, the Desert Sun reports. Hestrin added that he thinks the journals will provide “strong evidence of what occurred in that home.” >> Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court Researchers are also interested in the journals as they detail the firsthand accounts of the alleged abuse. One academic told the Desert Sun: “There is a good chance that being able to write may have kept them sane. In an interesting way, this may have helped them come to terms with the bizarre world they lived in.” He even compared them to the journals kept by Anne Frank. >> Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive The journals could prove valuable for prosecutors as they might provide evidence that could be used to cross-examine the parents, David and Louise Turpin. The Turpins are facing life in prison for a series of charges, including torture. >> Read more trending news  The journals have not been made public, and law enforcement officials are currently in the process of reviewing them. The conditions in the home were unimaginable, authorities said. The children reportedly were beaten and chained to furniture. Neighbors recalled seeing them marching during the night. They were discovered when one girl escaped and managed to find a police officer, authorities said. Read more here.

The Latest News Videos