ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
82°
Partly Cloudy
H 93° L 76°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    82°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 93° L 76°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    88°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 93° L 76°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    88°
    Evening
    Mostly Sunny. H 92° L 75°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Navy-Marine Corps Classic no-go for foreseeable future
Close

Navy-Marine Corps Classic no-go for foreseeable future

Navy-Marine Corps Classic no-go for foreseeable future
Photo Credit: Stephanie Brown
Players from both teams shook hands with sailors who were just sworn in by the Secretary of the Navy as they re-enlisted.

Navy-Marine Corps Classic no-go for foreseeable future

When Jacksonville first announced the Navy-Marine Corps Classic in 2012 as part of the “Week of Valor” honoring veterans, the hope was to make it an annual event.

But for the second year in a row, WOKV has confirmed the game will not happen.

“We’re exploring other options from a basketball standpoint, we will not be playing a game at a Navy facility this year,” says Jacksonville’s Interim Sports Director Joel Lamp.

The inaugural Classic, between the Florida Gators and Georgetown Hoyas aboard the USS Bataan, cost the city more than $700,000. It spurred the city to form a special committee to study the financial loss, and they determined there were several factors including lack of title sponsor, smaller ship than anticipated, and loss in concessions due to the game being called at halftime from condensation on the court.

Once these findings came out, Jacksonville decided it was too late to put on another Classic last year without meeting the same problems. When they called off the game at that time, however, the intent was to bring it back this year- even if that meant looking at other military venues like NAS Jax.

Lamp says their focus now, instead is the Veterans Memorial Arena.

“We’re reaching out to a lot of teams, and we’ve gotten a lot of interest,” he says.

Lamp says the City is still determined to get more non-conference basketball to Jacksonville, but they are using the Arena as a recruiting tool to make that happen.

Jacksonville will host NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship rounds next year and the SEC Women’s Basketball Championship in 2016, both at the Arena. Lamp says many teams who may be contenders in those tournaments are eager to arrange a game ahead of time which they can use to get a better feel of the venue.

“We’re working with teams now on scheduling to see what we can come up with,” Lamp says.

He didn’t have any anticipated timeline for announcing such a game, but said they’re talking with big name teams including the Florida Gators.

As for the Navy-Marine Corps Classic, Lamp hopes to be able to bring back the event,  or something similar, in the future, but says there are no finite plans in place.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • The University of North Florida has been denied millions of dollars in state funds for the second straight year.UNF is one of three schools that will miss out on a share of the $245 million appropriation from the state. Florida A & M and Florida Gulf Coast universities are also being left out.Ian Poblete is an eager, incoming UNF freshman. LOCAL NEWS: World Golf Village employee taken to hospital after golfer punched him, police say 'It's local, and it just stood out, out of all the others,' Poblete said.This news was not what Poblete wanted to hear.'I had some relatives that came here, and it was all good things, and just to hear something like this about it, it surprises me,' Poblete said.Thursday, the university system's Board of Governors made it official that they'll only distribute the funds to eight of a possible 11 institutions based on their performances through the 2014-2015 academic year.'It makes you wonder why that is,' UNF senior Alexandra Zephirin said.It also puzzled UNF junior Bianca Hascin.'I always thought we were doing pretty good,' Hascin said.The Board of Governors said UNF scored poorly on its six-year graduation rate and on the percentage of returning students with at least a 2.0 GPA. MILITARY NEWS: Missing Putnam sailor found hiding in ship transferred to brig UNF president John Delaney is at that Board of Governors meeting in Tampa, but Action News Jax got him on the phone.'I've always sort of considered it a flawed report card,' Delaney said. 'It's like giving somebody that had an 80 on the test a failure, but giving somebody that went from a 40 to a 60 an 'A' because they improved. The relative scores are an 80 and a 60 and they should be graded appropriately and in which case UNF would be in the middle category.'Delaney, who is retiring in a year, expects next school year to be better for UNF, and said the school did receive other state appropriations.
  • They're calling the event 'Find Summer Love.'   This weekend, the Jacksonville Humane Society (JHS) is partnering with PetSmart Charities to offer free pet adoptions at three locations.   The event will feature hundreds of adoptable dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens from the humane society, as well as from Animal Care and Protective Services.   All pets are free to adopt and will be spayed/neutered, microchipped, and vaccinated.   The event will be held Saturday June 24th and Sunday June 25th, from 10 am to 4 pm, at the following locations:   -PetSmart at 356 Monument Road  -PetSmart at 10261 River Marsh Drive  -Jacksonville Humane Society at 8464 Beach Boulevard   The location at the St. Johns Town Center will have cats and kittens only.
  •   A hotel bar in Canada is putting its foot down after its severed human toe was stolen.  The Downtown Hotel in Yukon serves the infamous “Sourtoe Cocktail,” which is a shot of whiskey with a human toe floating inside. Those who drink the shot are supposed to let the toe touch their lips, but aren’t allowed to take it as a souvenir, according to the CBC.   >> Read more trending news But on Saturday, a Quebec man boasting about wanting to steal the toe apparently did just that, according to the hotel.  “We are furious,” Terry Lee, the bar’s “Toe Captain,” said in a news release. “Toes are very hard to come by.” Lee said, while the bar does have backup toes, “we really need this one back.” The hotel filed a police report and even believe they know who the thief is and so do the police. Now it’s just a matter of getting the toe returned.  The news release said that 'unless the toe is returned safe,' the hotel plans to pursue charges and a $2,500 fine against the thief. Read more here.
  • A grand jury Thursday indicted a 34-year-old Georgia woman on charges of manslaughter in connection with the smothering death of a 2-month-old.  >> Read more trending news Keanna Keys of Stockbridge had methamphetamine and Xanax, an anti-anxiety medication, in her system when she fell asleep on a couch with her friend’s baby, Henry County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Megan Matteucci said.  On March 30, police responded to a call about an unresponsive baby at Keys’ home in Stockbridge, Georgia, Matteucci said. The spokeswoman said 2-year-old Madelyn Roberts was rushed to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Keys is charged with involuntary manslaughter, possession of methamphetamine and possession of alprazolam. According to the sheriff’s office, Keys had previously been arrested in Henry County in 2011 and 2012.
  • After President Donald Trump first hinted that he might have recordings of his private conversations with fired FBI director James Comey, he admitted Thursday on Twitter that he had no such tapes. >> Read more trending news “With all of the recently reported electronic surveillance, intercepts, unmasking and illegal leaking of information, I have no idea ... whether there are 'tapes' or recordings of my conversations with James Comey, but I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings,” he wrote. The news was first reported by Bloomberg News.

The Latest News Videos