ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
91°
Mostly Cloudy
H 93° L 76°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    91°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 93° L 76°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    77°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 93° L 76°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    87°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 75°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
They're back! Tolls return for Outer Beltway
Close

They're back! Tolls return for Outer Beltway

They're back! Tolls return for Outer Beltway
Photo Credit: FDOT
This is a map of the Outer Beltway project given by the Florida Department of Transportation

They're back! Tolls return for Outer Beltway

Tolls will return to northeast Florida as soon as 2016, as part of the long-delayed $1.8-billion Outer Beltway highway.

When completed, the 46.5 mile project will connect I-10 in western Duval County, travelling through Clay County, and ultimately connecting to I-95 in St. Johns County.

It was over 20 years ago that Duval County voters approved a sales tax increase in order to eliminate tolls from all the highways and bridges. In the years since, any talk of bringin back tolls has been met with strong opposition by public. The issue last reared up in September of 2011 when Lt. Governor Carroll and Mayor Brown were briefly at odds over the need for tolls to build the Outer Beltway.

The green light for the project was finally given Thursday by the Transportation Planning Organization Board. Construction on the intital phase is scheduled to begin next year.

The first stretch built will be from I-10, going south along Branan Field-Chafee Road, connecting to Blanding Blvd. in Clay County.

The four lane highway will bypass traffic lights at major intersections, but the connection will come with a price tag: five toll points. Mike Goldman with the Florida Dept. of Transportation says from I-10 to New World Avenue will not be tolled to encourage access to the Cecil Commerce Center, but from that point to Blanding will cost $2.20.

“Tolling on that corridor is the most realistic way to pay for the roads,” he says.

The tolls will not take effect until the entire stretch is complete, which he says should be in 2016. The tolls will be paid through a SunPass, which is an overhead monitor that prevents you from having to stop at a booth while you drive. Drivers would buy the device at area grocery or convenience stores.

The FDOT has outlined several non-tolled routes through the area, which you can see pictured to the left.

But that is only half of the full project.

The FDOT says there is no specifics available for when the portion from Blanding Blvd. in Clay County to I-95 in St. Johns County will begin or be completed, or the toll for driving along that stretch.

Impact to drivers during contruction.

Goldman says construction on the roadways will be done mainly at night to prevent lane closures from clogging your daily commute. Any necessary detours will also be in the overnight hours.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • After President Donald Trump first hinted that he might have recordings of his private conversations with fired FBI director James Comey, he admitted Thursday on Twitter that he had no such tapes. >> Read more trending news “With all of the recently reported electronic surveillance, intercepts, unmasking and illegal leaking of information, I have no idea ... whether there are 'tapes' or recordings of my conversations with James Comey, but I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings,” he wrote. The news was first reported by Bloomberg News.
  • Authorities in Kansas arrested a man last week on suspicion of strangling and sexually assaulting a 7-year-old girl just six weeks after he left jail following a prior sexual battery conviction, according to multiple reports. >> Read more trending news Corbin Breitenbach, 23, was charged June 15 with attempted capital murder, aggravated criminal sodomy and aggravated burglary in the June 11 attack, KSNW reported. Court records obtained by the news station showed Breitenbach was accused of taking the girl from a room and strangling her to unconsciousness before taking her to an outdoor balcony and sexually assaulting her. “With the allegation … that he strangled her unconscious (and) removed her to another room, there’s the kidnapping … there’s the rape, and it’s all taking place within the context of the intent to kill,” Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett told KSNW. The report is similar to one made in 2012, when Breitenbach strangled a 22-year-old woman until she was unconscious and then sexually assaulted her, The Wichita Eagle reported. He was convicted of that crime in March 2013 and received 68 months, the maximum sentence. The Eagle reported Breitenbach was released on parole on April 28. He listed a home address in Derby, but the home where the June 11 attack took place was across the street from his girlfriend’s home. His girlfriend told The Eagle that Breitenbach was in bed with her at her apartment when the attack reportedly took place. A judge ordered him held on a $1 million bail on Tuesday. He is scheduled to appear in court again July 5, according to The Eagle.
  • Deputies are seeking information about several people who stole 19 iPods from Toys 'R' Us in Clay County.Deputies said suspects in the April 28 theft from the store on Wells Road may be part of a larger group targeting Toys 'R' Us stores nationwide. Photos: Thieves steal 19 iPods from Toys 'R' Us in Clay County Deputies said in the Wells Road theft, two people distracted employees while a third picked the lock on an electronics storage room. Deputies say 2 people distracted @ToysRUs employees while a third picked the lock on an electronics storage room https://t.co/QeO6WLOuHP pic.twitter.com/VtFHQefvw4— ActionNewsJax (@ActionNewsJax) June 22, 2017 They walked out of the store with 19 Apple iPods, deputies said.Deputies are asking anyone with information about the thieves to call the Clay County Sheriff's Office at (904) 264-6512. Clay County deputies seek information about several people who stole iPods from Toys 'R' Us on Wells Road https://t.co/0ZOK1nXP2h pic.twitter.com/qfbttDjf6g— ActionNewsJax (@ActionNewsJax) June 22, 2017 Thieves stole 19 iPods. They're believed to be part of a larger group targeting @ToysRUs stores in other states https://t.co/QeO6WM666p pic.twitter.com/COCNdWmvZh— ActionNewsJax (@ActionNewsJax) June 22, 2017 Thieves stole 19 iPods. They're believed to be part of a larger group targeting @ToysRUs stores in other states https://t.co/QeO6WM666p pic.twitter.com/COCNdWmvZh— ActionNewsJax (@ActionNewsJax) June 22, 2017
  • A woman in Detroit has been charged with first-degree murder after police said she chased down and intentionally struck her estranged boyfriend with her car, killing him. Danisha Mathis, 20, has been charged with first-degree premeditated murder for the death of Terrence Ricks, Jr., 25, who was struck and killed by the car Mathis was driving, police said. >> Read more trending news Surveillance video that captured the June 13 incident appeared to show Mathis turning her car around in a parking lot and striking Ricks as he ran down the street, trying to escape, WXYZ reported. Ricks' parents told WXYZ that their son had only been dating Mathis for about a month and was trying to break off the relationship at the time of his death. Ricks has not been buried yet because his family said they can't afford the funeral expenses. A GoFundMe account has been set up by Ricks' mother to cover them.
  • The Transportation Security Administration is apologizing to a Colorado woman after throwing out her bottled breast milk during a security screening at Denver International Airport last month. “I just started crying,” Britney Shawstad told KMGH-TV, “because I really didn’t know what to do … that was my son’s food.” >> Read more trending news Shawstad, 28, of Englewood, said a TSA officer asked her to put the breast milk container in a separate bin for screening, but when she did, it set off an alarm for explosives.  She then asked if she could put the milk in a different container for another test, but the officer said “no” and “told her the only option was to dump it,” Shawstad told KMGH.  The TSA has since apologized for the incident and said in an email: 'We’ve reached out to the passenger to apologize for any inconvenience caused during the screening process and scheduled a briefing for all DEN(ver) TSA officers on screening over-sized liquids, including breast milk.” >>Related: Florida mom lets snake bite baby to ‘teach a lesson’ Shawstad wants other women to know what the rules are when it comes to breast milk and security screenings. “If you’re traveling with breast milk, follow the rules,” she said. “And the rules are that you are allowed to bring breast milk for your child. You are also allowed to bring juice.” She suggested that if an agent says otherwise, ask for a manager.

The Latest News Videos