DUVAL COUNTY - The third case of chikungunya fever, or Chik-V, has been confirmed in Duval County according to the Florida Department of Health in Duval County.
The FDOH says a 15-year-old girl is infected and that she recently traveled out of the country.
The disease spreads when infected mosquitoes bite a person as well as when an infected person is bitten by a mosquito, which then bites another person.
RELATED STORY: Chik-V spreading in the U.S.; 2 cases in Florida
The symptoms of Chik-V include a sudden high fever, severe joint pain mainly in the arms and legs, headache, rash and muscle and back pain. According to the FDOH the symptoms appear within three to seven days of the bite.
Most patients feel better after a few days or weeks, however, some people may develop long-term effects. Complications from the disease are more common in infants younger than a year old, those older than 65 years old, and people with chronic conditions such as diabetes and hypertension.
RELATED STORY: Presence of disease prompts new mosquito control plans
Anyone who has symptoms of Chik-V should consult a health care provider immediately. FDPH has these tips for protecting yourself against further mosquito bites:
Draine standing water to stop mosquitoes from multiplying:
- Drain water from garbage cans, house gutters, buckets, pool covers, coolers, toys, flower pots or any other containers where sprinkler or rain water has collected.
- Discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances and other items that aren't being used.
- Empty and clean birdbaths and pet's water bowls at least once or twice a week.
- Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that don’t accumulate water.
- Maintain swimming pools in good condition and appropriately chlorinated. Empty plastic swimming pools when not in use.
Cover skin with clothing or repellent:
- Wear shoes, socks, long pants and long-sleeves.
- Apply mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing.
- Always use repellents according to the label. Repellents with DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus and IR3535 are effective.
Cover doors and windows with screens to keep mosquitoes out:
- Keep mosquitoes out of your house. Repair broken screens on windows, doors, porches and patios.
For more information on Chik-V, visit the Florida Department of Health's website or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention'a website.