JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - One person has been life-flighted to UF Health Gainesville's burn unit following an incident at the Advanced Disposal plant on Normandy Blvd. near Herlong Rd.
The Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department says they got the call in just before 8 a.m.
Sgt. Jay Farhat with JSO says two private contractors with the company Pilot Electric were working on a panel in an electrical closet and for some reason the power had not been turned off. An electrical short set one of the workers' clothes on fire and his coworker and several other employees had to help put him out.
"When he took the brunt of the charge, apparently some of his clothing ignited. Other employees immediately put him down on the ground," says Sgt. Farhat.
He was airlifted to Gainesville in critical condition. The worker that helped put him out suffered minor injuries at the scene.
JSO says they are working with OSHA to determine why the electricity had not been turned off before the workers started fixing the panel.
The investigation is ongoing.