TRAFFIC ALERT:

CONSTRUCTION I-95 SB off-ramp to Philips closed 

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
80°
Scattered Clouds
H 80° L 62°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 80° L 62°
  • clear-night
    63°
    Morning
    Clear. H 80° L 62°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    78°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 83° L 63°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Report: Donald Trump 'furious' after Kellyanne Conway steps up Mitt Romney attacks
Close

Report: Donald Trump 'furious' after Kellyanne Conway steps up Mitt Romney attacks

Report: Donald Trump 'furious' after Kellyanne Conway steps up Mitt Romney attacks
Photo Credit: Mark Wilson
NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 09: Republican president-elect Donald Trump along with his campaign manager Kellyanne Conway acknowledge the crowd during his election night event at the New York Hilton Midtown in the early morning hours of November 9, 2016 in New York City. Donald Trump defeated Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton to become the 45th president of the United States. (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Report: Donald Trump 'furious' after Kellyanne Conway steps up Mitt Romney attacks

President-elect Donald Trump is "furious" after senior adviser Kellyanne Conway slammed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in a series of interviews Sunday, according to a report from MSNBC.

>> Read more trending stories

The cable news networks cited a pair of unnamed sources within Trump's transition team, one of which said that Conway "went rogue." However, Conway denied the allegation early Monday in a text message to an MSNBC reporter.

"I (can) have any job I want," she wrote. "(Trump) wants me by his side."

Conway on Sunday warned against choosing Romney, who won the Republican presidential nomination in 2012 but lost the bid to President Barack Obama, as Trump's secretary of state. The president-elect is reportedly considering filling the role with Romney or former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, although the pool of candidates could grow.

"I'm all for party unity, I'm a party unity person," Conway said in an interview on ABC's "This Week." "I don't think a cost of admission for party unity has to be the secretary of state position."

Romney was a frequent critic of Trump on the campaign trail. In March, he attacked the then-presidential hopeful as a "phony, a fraud," during a speech in Utah.

"His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University," Romney said. "He's playing members of the American public for suckers. He gets a free ride to the White House, and all we get is a lousy hat."

Fractures in the Trump transition team were noted by Conway in a tweet on Thanksgiving Day. She said she had received a "deluge" of comments on social media and in private communications from Trump loyalists worried that the president-elect might choose Romney as secretary of state.

"It's just breathtaking, in scope and intensity, the type of messages I've received from all over the country ... the number of people who feel betrayed to think that Gov. Romney would get the most prominent Cabinet post after he went so far out of his way to hurt Donald Trump," Conway said Sunday on http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/27/politics/conway-trump-romney-betrayed/ CNN's "State of the Union."

Conway is not the only top Trump adviser publicly balking over the decision to bring Romney into the Trump Administration.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich last week criticized Romney in interviews with Fox News.

"He attacked (Trump) on a personal level about his character, integrity, his honor," Huckabee said, adding that choosing the former Massachusetts governor for secretary of state "would be a real insult to those Donald Trump voters who worked really hard."

Gingrich, meanwhile, questioned Romney's trustworthiness and highlighted his former presidential ambitions.

"You have to list out all the things he said and think, 'Is this guy really going to be loyal?'" Gingrich said. "Gov. Romney wanted to be president, not secretary of state, and you have to ask the question: When he goes overseas, is he going be the secretary of state for President Trump or is he going to be Mitt Romney's own secretary state?"

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

The Latest News Headlines

  • One person was killed and 15 injured, at least two critically, when gunfire erupted early Sunday morning at a hip-hop nightclub in Cincinnati,Ohio. Police are searching for multiple shooters, and have not made any arrests, yet. >> Read more trending news The man who was killed at the Cameo Night Club has been identified as 27-year-old Obryan Spikes. Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac said at approximately 1:30 a.m. the emergency dispatch center began receiving calls that people had been shot at the club. A dispute erupted and several people opened fire inside the club, Isaac said. Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley asked for prayers for those injured or killed. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying the shooters. The FBI and ATF are assisting in the investigation. >> Click here or scroll down for the latest
  • Alex Jones on Friday apologized to the owner of a Washington, D.C., pizzeria for spreading the fake story last year that linked the restaurant to Hillary Clinton’s campaign and human trafficking. Jones, as the Austin, Texas-based host of Infowars.com, has a long history of pushing wild and false conspiracy theories, such as claiming that the U.S. government perpetrated the 9/11 attacks or the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, was a hoax. But in a rare backtracking mea culpa, Jones apologized for his role in promoting the baseless “Pizzagate” story that went viral among right-wing bloggers and media sites during the 2016 presidential campaign. >> Watch the clip here The gist of the fake story accused Hillary Clinton and her presidential campaign chairman, John Podesta, of running a child sex abuse ring through the Comet Ping Pong restaurant owned by James Alefantis. Podesta’s comments about the pizzeria — made in Democratic Party emails exposed by WikiLeaks — became fodder for fake news web portals as well as popular user-generated content sites like Reddit and 4chan. Jones, in a statement he read aloud for his online audience, tried to put some distance between himself and the fake story and blamed “scores of media outlets,” “third-party accounts of alleged activities” and “accounts of (Infowars) reporters who are no longer with us” for the “incorrect narrative” he discussed several times on his program. >> Read more trending news “In our commentary about what had become known as Pizzagate, I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for which I apologize to him,” Jones said. In language that was clearly sculpted by a legal mind hoping to avoid possible litigation, Jones added: “To my knowledge today, neither Mr. Alefantis nor his restaurant Comet Ping Pong, were involved in any human trafficking as was part of the theories about Pizzagate.” For many people, the Pizzagate conspiracy theory became part of the mainstream political discussion only in December, after 28-year-old Edgar Maddison Welch of North Carolina reportedly brought a gun into a Comet Ping Pong packed with customers, and pointed it at an employee in hopes of finding proof of “Pizzagate.” Welch surrendered to police when he found no evidence that children were being harbored there, D.C. police said at the time. He pleaded guilty to weapons and assault charges Friday, CNN reported.
  • For the second time in less than 24 hours, police have swarmed the Las Vegas Strip after at least one person was killed in a shooting near the Cosmopolitan hotel and casino. >> Related: Burglary at Bellagio Hotel and Casino prompts lockdown on Vegas strip Police said Saturday afternoon that the situation was not an active shooter situation.  The suspect peacefully surrendered around 6 p.m., according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. >> Read more trending news Around 11:30 a.m. Las Vegas police reported that they were investigating a shooting that occurred on South Las Vegas Boulevard. Authorities believed an individual who was on a bus that was traveling on the strip is responsible for the shooting. Police closed portions of the strip, and set up a staging area and a barricade. Guests at the Cosmopolitan resort were evacuated. Shortly after 11 a.m., KSNV reported that at least one victim of a shooting had been transported to University Medical Center trauma in unknown condition. At 1 p.m. Saturday, authorities reported a second victim had been killed. According to USA Today, police evacuated the nearby Cosmopolitan hotel and casino shortly after 1 p.m. “The shooting incident happened on the bus,” said Larry Hadfield, a spokesman with Las Vegas Metro police. “We had one single shooting incident with two victims. Both were transported to the trauma center and one is deceased.” Hadfield said police were negotiating with the suspect Saturday afternoon in an effort to take him into custody, USA Today reported. This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 
  • Las Vegas police are investigating a burglary at a retail store in the Bellagio Hotel and Casino after an incident that occurred overnight Friday, The Associated Press reported.  >> Read more trending news Police said Saturday they believe at least three people entered the store. It was not immediately clear what items were stolen. The store was closed at the time of the burglary.  Authorities said the suspects broke into a high-end jewelry and watch store, where they may have used sledgehammers to break into the shop's jewelry cases. A witness said she saw an armed burglar wearing a pig mask near a Rolex store. Authorities said they are reviewing surveillance tape, where they saw multiple suspects wearing “character masks,” ABC News reported. According to ABC News, the Bellagio was on lockdown for approximately a half-hour after the incident. Police initially thought at least one of the theives may have fired gunshots during the burglary, but later said they believed the sound of the sledgehammers breaking the jewelry cases may have been confused for gunshots. Guests fled the hotel and casino in the midst of the incident. No one was injured.  Police have taken one suspect into custody.  Portions of the Bellagio were closed Saturday as police continue to investigate.
  • A couple has been indicted on accusations that they murdered their deaf teenage son and then burned down their house to cover up the crime, the Associated Press reported. >> Read more trending news  According to the Chenango County Sheriff’s Office in New York, Ernest F. Franklin II, 35, and his wife, Heather Franklin, 33, of Guilford, New York, were charged with second-degree murder, arson and tampering with physical evidence. The two were indicted Friday on charges of second-degree murder in the death of their adopted son, 16-year-old Jeffrey Franklin, People magazine reported. Following an investigation of a fire on March 1 at the family’s 1,300-square-foot home, the couple was arrested. Investigators believe they set fire to their home to cover up the killing of their son. An autopsy determined he died prior to the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Local law authorities have not said how or when the boy was killed. The Franklins got married in 2011 and adopted Jeffrey six or seven years ago, the sheriff’s office said. According to People magazine, Ernest is an Iraq War veteran. Heather wrote in posts on her Facebook page that she is pregnant. The Franklins are being held without bail. They entered a plea of not guilty. “People are asking themselves, ‘How could this happen?'” Chenango County Sheriff Ernest Cutting Jr. told People magazine. “Certainly for the public here, it’s a mix of anger and frustration and disappointment.” Just days before Heather Franklin was arrested, she posted an update on her Facebook page about how much she missed her son, who she called JR. She also informed friends and family that she and her husband had added their “needs” and “wants” to the CheckedTwice.com Family Gift Registry because they lost everything in the fire. A GoFundMe page was also established, but it has been taken down. The Associated Press reported that police who responded to a 911 call about 1:15 a.m. on March 1 found the Franklin’s house, located about an hour away from Syracuse, engulfed in flames. Jeffrey was inside and unable to escape the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities initially said the cause of the fire appeared to be a wood stove, the residence’s main heating source. “People are wondering how anybody could do something so brutal to a developmentally disabled and handicapped 16-year-old boy,” Cutting told People. “There are a lot of people who would have taken him. There are organizations that would have taken care of him. Why resort to that? … It’s just a terrible, terrible tragedy.”

The Latest News Videos