ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-day
72°
Cloudy
H 69° L 62°
  • clear-day
    72°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 69° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    66°
    Evening
    Cloudy. H 69° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    63°
    Morning
    Cloudy. H 75° L 62°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Assad tells American media he will get rid of chemical weapons
Close

Assad tells American media he will get rid of chemical weapons

Assad tells American media he will get rid of chemical weapons
Photo Credit: HOEP
FILE - This Thursday, Aug.1, 2013 file photo posted on the official Facebook page of the Syrian Presidency, purports to show Syrian President Bashar Assad talking with soldiers with during Syrian Arab Army day in Darya, Syria. As the Obama administration tries to prod Congress into backing armed action against Syria, the regime in Damascus is hiding military hardware and shifting troops out of bases into civilian areas. (AP Photo/Syrian Presidency via Facebook, File)

Assad tells American media he will get rid of chemical weapons

One year and $1 billion — according to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, that’s what it would take to get rid of Syria’s stockpile of chemical weapons.

Assad sat down with former congressman Dennis Kucinich and journalist Greg Palkot. Assad said his agreement to have Syria’s weapons destroyed was also a full admission that, yes, Syria has chemical weapons. (Via Mediaite / Fox News)

Fox News: “Do you have chemical weapons or don’t you?”

President Assad: “Of course, when we joined the treaty last week, it means that we have, and we said that, so it’s not secret anymore.” (Via Fox News)

Assad said he’ll fully comply with any agreement between the U.S. and Russia to get rid of the chemical weapons, adding that he has been onboard with a plan to rid the Middle East of WMDs for at least a decade. (Via CBS)

Assad’s willingness to handover his country’s chemical weapons isn’t without it’s hurdles, though.  

“I think it’s a very complicated process technically ... ” (Via Sky News)

Assad estimated the United States would have to invest nearly $1 billion and about a year’s time to get rid of those weapons. Beyond that, the Syrian president said he didn’t care where the weapons are taken. 

This was Assad’s second interview with American media in just two weeks. Just like his September 9th interview with Charlie Rose, Assad claimed innocence in last month’s chemical weapons attack, disputing the U.N.’s new report.

Assad didn’t outright deny the report’s findings, but said it lacks hard evidence. Polkat pressed Assad on the point, and Assad responded by saying sarin gas could’ve been used by the rebels or anyone for that matter. (Via Al Jazeera)

He also doubted the validity of the horrific images of Syrians reportedly suffering from sarin gas. Assad told Polkat “we live in a world of forgery.” (Via ABC)

Aside from the Syrian president’s denial of executing the chemical weapons attack, critics took issue with the person interviewing Assad. 

The New York Times cites a release from Fox News which said it was Kucinich’s idea to pursue an interview with the Syrian president, “on condition that Fox News journalists would also be included.”

The Atlantic points out it seems odd Kucinich would be the one to interview Assad given their history. “Kucinich visited Assad in June 2011 and came under fire for apparently supporting the regime just as the civil war was beginning. Kucinich was quoted by Syrian media saying Assad was ‘highly loved and appreciated by the Syrians,’ at a press conference.” 

Assad’s interview comes the same day Russia declared they have evidence Syrian rebels launched the chemical weapons attack. 

According to the Los Angeles Times, Russian plans to submit evidence that “prove[s] the fact that the opposition regularly resorts to provocations to bring about strikes and intervention against Syria.” 

Assad also revealed he had never spoken to President Obama. When asked if he would like to, he said, “That depends on the content. It’s not a chat.”

See more at Newsy.com

 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • White nationalists were at UNF to show support for a student recently suspended by the school for making perceived threats on social media. We told you last week, self-described Nazi, Ken Parker was suspended by the school after the posts. In one of the posts, Parker can be seen holding a gun and sporting a swastika tattoo. According to the university 4 white nationalist showed up to support Parker.  'I'm honored that the white nationalists are standing on my behalf,' Parker said. A group of counter protestors were on campus as well to denounce the white nationalists and call for the suspension of Ken Parker to be upheld. Parker is appealing the school’s decision to suspend him and he says if he doesn’t win his appeal, he will sue the school. The counter-protestors hoped to outnumber the white nationalist and they did. The school says media reported between 50 and 80 counter-protestors were at the rally. A student group from UNF called the Students for a Democratic Society chanted and called on the university’s president, John Delaney, to uphold Parker’s suspension.  The university beefed up security on campus, and around the building where the appeal hearing took place, before and during the protests. Police officers surrounded the building and were checking peoples names as they drove into the parking lot. Police were taking the potential friction between the two groups seriously.  Before the event the university urged both protests to be peaceful and both groups were peaceful. No violence was reported between the two.    The school says they will notify Parker of the schools appeal decsion sometime Monday afternoon or Tuesday.
  • Former New England Patriots, Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terry Glenn has passed away at age 43, according to reports. >> Read more trending news Sports Illustrated reported Monday morning Glenn was killed in a crash in Irving, Texas. He is survived by a fiancee, according to fellow former Dallas Cowboys star Tony Casillas. Glenn was the No. 7 overall pick by the Patriots at the 1996 NFL Draft after playing collegiate football at Ohio State. He made an immediate impact in New England, catching 90 passes for 1,132 yards and six touchdowns in his rookie season. He went on to play six seasons with the Patriots, making his first and only Pro Bowl in 1999. After spending a single season with the Packers, he finished his career by spending five seasons with the Cowboys. Glenn had two more 1,000-yard seasons with the Cowboys, bringing his career total to four. A knee injury ended his career, and he was officially released in the summer of 2008. He was a member of two AFC Championship squads with the Patriots and also caught Tom Brady’s first touchdown pass. However, he only played in four games during that 2001 season and never got a ring. Glenn is survived by his fiancee and three children. Boston25News contributed to this report.
  • Police are investigating a fatal shooting that happened at Barcelona Wine Bar. According to Atlanta police, officers responded to the restaurant in the 1000 block of Howell Mill Road just before 2 a.m. Sunday on a report that a person had been shot. Police said they found 29-year-old Chelsea Beller, of Atlanta. Police told WSBTV, Beller had been shot once in the shoulder during an apparent robbery. >> Read more trending news  As the restaurant was closing, three men entered the location and tied up employees with electrical tape, according to police. They said the victim was forced upstairs to open the safe and then shot. She was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where she later died. 'She was just a positive person, fun loving. She didn't have an enemy to speak of,' said her cousin, Brandi Borgwat. 'Everybody that knew her, loved her.' Friends left flowers and candles outside the restaurant Sunday afternoon. While the investigation continues, Beller's family hopes that her killers are not on the streets for much longer. 'She deserves justice for this,' said Borgwat.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is asking  for help finding a murder suspect.  22-year-old Lejuan Marquis Hall is accused of shooting a victim five times and fleeing the scene.  JSO says he is considered armed and dangerous.  WOKV is working to find out more details about the murder including where it happened, when it happened, and the victim information.   Hall has an active warrant for Murder and Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon.  JSO says the suspect is 5’10’’ and 155 lbs.  Anyone who has any information in reference to the location of this murder suspect is asked to contact the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office at 904-630-0500 or email JSOCrimeTips@jaxsheriff.org.
  • A 6-year-old boy who was run over by an SUV in a Regency apartment parking lot has died.   Luis Ostolaza-Sota Jr. was rushed to a local hospital on Sunday afternoon after the SUV drove forward and struck him on the sidewalk.  There does not appear to be any foul play, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office. A witness said he saw the crash and called 911. He said he heard the grandmother screaming after running over the child. 

The Latest News Videos