ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
64°
Mostly Cloudy
H 76° L 60°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    64°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 76° L 60°
  • cloudy-day
    71°
    Afternoon
    Mostly Cloudy. H 76° L 60°
  • cloudy-day
    66°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 74° L 63°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Focus shifts to mother of toddler in hot car death
Close

Focus shifts to mother of toddler in hot car death

Focus shifts to mother of toddler in hot car death
Photo Credit: Kelly J. Huff / Pool / Marietta Daily Journal / AP
Leanna Harris, wife of Justin Ross Harris, the father of a toddler who died after police say he was left in a hot car for about seven hours, looks on during her husband's bond hearing in Cobb County Magistrate Court on July 3, 2014, in Marietta, Ga. Harris, who police say intentionally killed his toddler son by leaving the boy inside a hot SUV, was exchanging nude photos with women the day his son died and had looked at websites that advocated against having children, a detective testified Thursday. At that same hearing, a judge refused to grant bond for Harris, meaning he will remain in jail.

Focus shifts to mother of toddler in hot car death

Leanna Harris’ husband, prosecutors alleged Thursday, had two sides: Churchgoing family man and another, darker persona, one that compelled Ross Harris to knowingly leave their 22-month-old son to die, locked inside a sweltering SUV.

Based on her own, sometimes confounding words, along with evidence disclosed at her spouse’s probable cause hearing Thursday, many are wondering whether there’s another side to Leanna Harris.

>> RELATED: Prosecutors: Father was sexting while child sat in hot car

The 30-year-old dietitian, who two years ago moved to Georgia from Tuscaloosa, Ala., has not been charged with any crime. But police have disclosed that, like her husband, she had researched children dying in hot vehicles prior to her son Cooper’s death, telling officers it was her “worst fear.” On average, 38 kids die each year after being trapped inside automobiles, according to KidsAndCars.org.

Investigators described her behavior the day of her son Cooper’s death as odd, if not suspicious.

When informed by workers at her son’s day care facility that Cooper had never been dropped off, she calmly responded, “Ross must have left him in the car. There’s no other explanation,” according to Cobb County Police Det. Phil Stoddard’s testimony Thursday.

Then, when reunited with her husband at police headquarters after he had been charged with murder, Leanna Harris asked him, “Did you say too much?” according to Stoddard.

“There isn’t enough to make her a co-conspirator … yet,” said criminal defense lawyer Esther Panitch.

>> RELATED: Photos: Dad accused in son’s hot car death appears in court

Whatever Leanna Harris’ role winds up being in this case — witness, defendant or supportive wife — prosecutors and the public are taking note of her public actions. What they’ve seen so far is stoicism that seems at odds with what has become a public tragedy.

She has expressed little emotion throughout. At Thursday’s hearing, she stared blankly ahead, chewing gum as prosecutors delivered one bombshell after another.

When she called home June 18 with the grim news of Cooper’s death, her mother could be overheard on the phone: “Why aren’t you crying? Why aren’t you reacting?”

Her response, according to Stoddard: “I must be in shock.”

Then there was her eulogy at Cooper’s funeral last Saturday in Tuscaloosa. To those who don’t know her, Leanna Harris’ comment that she wouldn’t bring her son back, even if she could, seemed suspicious.

>> RELATED: Police: Father who left child in hot car charged with murder

“He’s in the most peaceful, wonderful place there is,” Leanna Harris said.

But the 250 or so mourners who gathered at University Church of Christ gave her two rounds of applause, and Harris’ statement is not unusual among the deeply religious who believe the afterlife is God’s greatest gift.

Still, it’s clear, according to veteran legal observers, that police are looking at Leanna Harris’ potential culpability in her son’s death. On Thursday, Cobb County District Attorney Vic Reynolds said the investigation continues and “much work remains,” though he offered no details on where the probe may be headed.

“Knowledge of a crime isn’t prosecutable. A cover-up is,” Panitch said.

But if, as many increasingly believe, her husband ends up facing more significant murder charges, prosecutors may seek to use Leanna Harris as a witness. In Georgia, the spousal privilege shielding a wife from testifying against her husband, and vice-versa, doesn’t apply in cases of domestic violence or death of a child.

>> RELATED: 'I’ve killed our child,' dad screams over tiny body

“She needs to make a deal before the state finds more evidence against her,” Panitch said.

So far, Leanna Harris has remained loyal to her husband of seven years. At Cooper’s funeral, she said she holds no anger toward her husband.

“Ross is and was a wonderful father,” she said. As Ross Harris listened from jail on speaker phone, his wife told him, “I love you and I’m doing this for you.”

It’s unclear whether Leanna Harris knew then of her spouse’s “sexting” habits, first disclosed publicly during Thursday’s hearing. Friends and family shielded her from reporters as she left the courtroom and insist she’s a woman of strong faith who treasured her role as wife and mother. Ross Harris’ half-brother, Randy Michael Baygents, a police officer for nearly two decades, said Thursday had Ross Harris been released on bond he would have returned home.

“What you saw here is what is truly in her,” the Harris’ pastor, David Eldridge, said at Cooper’s funeral. “There is an example here for all of us on how to deal with things.”

>> Read more trending stories

Her eulogy was part memorial, part confessional.

“Some of you might wonder how I’m standing here today and I ask myself the same question,” Leanna Harris said. “I should be crumpled into a pile of tears and snot on the ground. (The Lord) is standing behind me, holding me up.”

She spoke of her difficulties getting pregnant and her awkward teen years.

“Junior high and senior high — they weren’t the happiest times (for me),” she said, listing heartbreaks her son would be spared. “He won’t have to suffer through the death of his (grandparents). He won’t have to suffer through the death of me and Ross.”

In his closing prayer, Eldridge said, “I’m not sure there’s a better testimony to who You are or what You do than Leanna.”

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • At 24-years-old, a Jacksonville man faces up to 20 years in federal prison and a potential lifetime of supervision, after being indicted by a federal grand jury. According to a release from the United States Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Florida, Pryce Demars is accused of distributing child porn over an 8-month period.  Court documents show FBI agents and local officers executed a search warrant of his home last Wednesday, in connection to a child exploitation investigation into a particular file-sharing program.  The FBI says Demars distributed videos of young children being sexually abused, claiming he admitted in an interview that he searched for the porn, downloaded it, and then distributed it to another individual in exchange for video games and other items.  His trial has been set for January 2, 2018.
  • The United States is seeking restitution on top of forfeiture money from former Rep. Corrine Brown. Prosecutors filed a new motion on Tuesday as a judge weighs Brown's sentence. The government is asking for a total of $1,179,459.25. The motion states: 'The United States moves this Court, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 981(a)(1)(C), 28 U.S.C. § 2461(c) and Fed. R. Crim. P. 32.2(b)(2), to enter an order of forfeiture in the amount of $664,292.39, representing the amount of proceeds the defendants obtained, directly or indirectly, as a result of participation in a conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, and aiding and abetting mail and wire fraud.  'The United States also seeks an order of restitution in the amount of $452,515.87 as to Counts One, Two, Four, Six through Thirteen, Fifteen and Seventeen, and $62,650.99 as to Counts Twenty-One through Twenty-Four, for a total restitution of $515,166.86.' READ THE FULL MOTION HERE . In May, Brown was found guilty on 18 counts in a federal fraud trial. Last week, Brown’s former chief of staff Ronnie Simmons and Carla Wiley, the president of One Door for Education, the charity they’re all accused of stealing from, appeared in federal court for their sentencing hearings . During the hearing, Brown tearfully asked for mercy. The Middle District of Florida, in a sentencing memorandum involving Brown, said “significant punishment” is required for the former Florida congresswoman. Brown is set to be sentenced in December. #ANJaxBreaking: Prosecutors just filed new motion as judge weighs # CorrineBrown's sentence. Seeking restitution on top of forfeiture money, totaling $1,179,459.25. Expect sentence Dec. 4. @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/KmdrPpAKrq — Jenna Bourne (@jennaANjax) November 21, 2017 New Documents: U.S. wants another 555k in restitution from Corrine Brown and Carla Wiley, Now totals $1.1 million. The fmr. Congresswomen, her Chief of Staff Ronnie Simmons and Wiley are set to be sentenced Dec, 4th @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/NPLqRwHY6r — Paige Kelton (@PaigeANjax) November 21, 2017
  • More than 30 women who worked with Sen. Al Franken on “Saturday Night Live,” defended the embattled lawmaker in an open later Tuesday, writing that while working with him “not one of us ever experienced any inappropriate behavior.” >> Read more trending news The women, including former SNL cast members Jane Curtin and Laraine Newman, writers and producers, wrote that they felt “compelled to stand up for Al Franken” in the wake of allegations that he forced himself on Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden in 2006. Franken apologized after Tweeden made her allegations public last week in a blog post for KABC. >> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent “What Al did was stupid and foolish, and we think it was appropriate for him to apologize to Ms. Tweeden, and to the public,” the letter said. “In our experience, we know Al as a devoted and dedicated family man, a wonderful comedic performer, and an honorable public servant. That is why we are moved to quickly and directly affirm that after years of working with him, we would like to acknowledge that not one of us ever experienced any inappropriate behavior; and mention our sincere appreciation that he treated each of us with the utmost respect and regard.” Franken worked on “Saturday Night Live” as a writer and a featured player from 1977 to 1980 and from 1988 to 1995. Tweeden said last week that she was forcibly kissed by Franken, who was a radio host for Air America at the time, and groped in her sleep during a USO tour in 2006. She shared an image of herself sleeping as Franken’s hands hovered over her chest as evidence of the incident. Franken apologized and called for an ethics investigation into the incident. 'I don't know what was in my head when I took that picture, and it doesn't matter,' Franken said in a statement released Thursday. 'There's no excuse. I look at it now and I feel disgusted with myself. It isn't funny. It's completely inappropriate. It's obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture.' A second woman came forward Monday, accusing Franken of groping her as they posed for a photo at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair. >> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010 Lindsay Menz told CNN that Franken, “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, (Franken) put his hand full-fledged on my rear.” In a statement to CNN, Franken said he didn’t remember taking the photo but that he felt “badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected.”
  • Update 4:40 p.m. Nov. 21: The House Ethics Committee has started an investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Michigan Democratic Congressman John Conyers at House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s urging. Update 2:30 p.m. Nov. 21: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called for an ethics investigation Tuesday after allegations of sexual harassment surfaced against Rep. John Conyers, the longest-serving member of Congress. 'As members of Congress, we each have a responsibility to uphold the integrity of the House of Representatives and to ensure a climate of dignity and respect, with zero tolerance for harassment, discrimination, bullying or abuse,” Pelosi, D-California, said in a statement. “As I have said before, any credible allegation of sexual harassment must be investigated by the ethics committee.” Conyers, D-Michigan, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he was unaware of any allegations that he acted inappropriately toward women. BuzzFeed News reported Monday that Conyers’ office paid a $27,000 settlement in 2015 to a woman who claimed she was fired from the lawmaker’s office because she refused his sexual advances.  Original report: U.S. Rep. John Conyers denied on Tuesday that he’s settled sexual harassment complaints by staff members in the wake of a report that his office paid a former female employee $27,000 to settle a harassment-related wrongful dismissal complaint in 2015. >> Read more trending news Conyers, D-Michigan, told The Associated Press that he was unaware of any allegations that he has acted inappropriately toward women. He told the news wire that he only learned of the BuzzFeed News report that detailed the complaints on Tuesday morning. A woman told BuzzFeed that she filed a wrongful dismissal complaint against Conyers in 2014 after he fired because she would not 'succumb to (his) sexual advances.' >> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent The case was settled in 2015. The woman, who was not identified, signed a confidentiality agreement and was rehired as a temporary employee with no job responsibilities. Over the course of three months, she was paid $27,000, BuzzFeed reported. Documents from the case included signed affidavits from four other former Conyers staff members who said the lawmaker 'repeatedly made sexual advances to female staff that included requests for sexual favors, contacting and transporting other women with whom they believed Conyers was having affairs, caressing their hands sexually and rubbing their legs and backs in public.' >> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010 House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, called the BuzzFeed report “extremely troubling” and reiterated that a review of House of Representative workplace harassment and discrimination policies was underway. Ryan announced last week that the House of Representatives was implementing a new mandatory anti-harassment and anti-discrimination training policy for members and staff. “Additional reforms to the system are under consideration as the committee continues its review,” Ryan said Tuesday. “People who work in the House deserve and are entitled to a workplace without harassment or discrimination.”  >> Related: George H.W. Bush accused of groping woman while in office Since 1997, Congress’ Office of Compliance has paid federal employees $17.2 million to settle complaints of employment rule violations, including complaints of sexual harassment, The Washington Post reported. The $27,000 paid to Conyers’ former employee in 2015 is not among those numbers, as the funds came from the representative’s office budget, according to BuzzFeed. Conyers, who was first elected in 1964, is currently the longest-serving member of Congress, with 52 years of service. He is the second sitting senator to face accusations of inappropriate conduct toward women. A woman on Monday accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, of groping her as they posed for a photograph together at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair. Franken, who was accused last week of forcing himself on a Los Angeles news anchor in 2006, assumed office in 2009.
  • If you are traveling this holiday weekend you have probably already mapped out your route, but do you know the best time to leave so you can avoid the Thanksgiving rush? With Thanksgiving being the most traveled holiday of the year, at times it can feel like everyone who is traveling is in front of you as you sit in slow-moving traffic.So, when is the best time to leave to get a jump on traffic in your area? Google’s here to help. The search engine has designed a chart based on travel data collected during last year’s Thanksgiving holiday. It used the information to determine the best times to leave certain metropolitan areas to avoid the heaviest traffic. Here are the best and the worst times to travel from major U.S. cities for Thanksgiving. Atlanta – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 3 p.m. Wednesday Boston – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 3 p.m. Wednesday Charlotte – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Chicago – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Cleveland – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Dallas – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 3 p.m. Wednesday Denver – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 3 p.m. Wednesday Detroit – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Houston – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 3 p.m. Wednesday Los Angeles – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Miami – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Minneapolis – Best: 5 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday New York – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Orlando – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Philadelphia – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Phoenix – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 3 p.m. Wednesday Pittsburgh – Best: 5 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Portland – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Raleigh – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Sacramento – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday San Francisco – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Seattle – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday St. Louis – Best: 5 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Tampa – Best: 4 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 4 p.m. Wednesday Washington DC – Best: 3 a.m. Wednesday; Worst: 3 p.m. Wednesday

The Latest News Videos