ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day
74°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 87° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    74°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 87° L 77°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    86°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 87° L 77°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    82°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 87° L 77°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Former reality star criticized for making young son do chores so he knows they’re not ‘just for women’

A former star of MTV’s “16 and Pregnant” is being criticized for a Facebook post showing her young son doing household chores so he knows that they are not “just for women.”

Nikkole Paulun, now 22, is a single mother to her son, Lyle, and an infant daughter, Ellie. In an Oct. 6 post, she shared photos of Lyle cooking a grilled cheese sandwich, loading a dishwasher and doing laundry.

Paulun wrote that she wants her son to know that housework isn’t just women’s work, and she wants him to know how to take care of himself when he is grown and single. She also pointed out that someday, he “might want to impress a significant other with a meal cooked by his own hands.”

>>> Read more trending stories

She said that when he is married and has children, he will also need to do “his fair share around the home.” She cited other reasons to teach him chores:

“Because I live in a generation of people who complain that school didn't teach us how to cook, do laundry, tie a tie or pay taxes. 

“Because teaching my son how to do these things and be a productive member of society, both outside the home and inside, starts with ME. 

“Because it's OK to let your child be a child but still teach them lifelong lessons along the way. My son will never be too ‘manly’ to cook or do chores.

“He will be the kind of man who can come inside from changing a tire to check on his pot roast. Who can properly sort his laundry and mow the lawn, too. Remember, parents, a man who believes he shouldn't have to cook or do chores was once a boy who was never taught any better.”

I teach my son to cook & do household chores. Why? Because household work isn't just for women. Because one day he might...

Posted by Nikkole Paulun on Thursday, October 6, 2016

Paulun’s post was met mostly with praise. As of Tuesday morning, it had been shared more than 57,000 times and had garnered more than 144,000 likes.

One of the more than 7,800 comments on the post asked Paulun if she would also teach her daughter to do typically masculine chores like changing a tire and mowing the lawn.

“Yes, my daughter will know how to do all of those things,” Paulun replied. “She’s just too young to teach still. They’re raised seeing me do both since I am a single mother.”

One woman who was critical told Paulun that children were not born to “be your slave. Or to do the chores that you yourself don’t want to do.”

The woman said she agrees with teaching responsibility, but that “enough is enough.”

Paulun replied by saying that Lyle is “definitely not (her) slave.”

“I enjoy and do the majority of the housework,” she wrote. “My son just helps along the way and earns allowance as well.”

She shared a photo of him lying on a love seat, saying that he “relaxes after his chores with some video games.”

WebMD points out that having children do age-appropriate chores around the house gives them a great life lesson for when they are adults. Some of the chores listed for for 6 and 7-year-olds include sorting laundry, sweeping, setting and clearing tables, making and packing lunches and keeping their bedrooms tidy. Children even younger, around ages 4 and 5, can make their own cereal, wash plastic dishes at the sink, unload unbreakable dishes from the dishwasher, do some vacuuming and make their own beds.

Some chores to begin teaching toddlers are to put their toys away, feed pets, pick up dirty clothes, dust and wipe up spills, the website said

The post about chores is not the first one that Paulun has shared about her son that has gained a lot of attention. She posted on New Year’s Day that Lyle, then 6, takes her on a “dinner date” at least once a month.

The accompanying photo shows Lyle sitting in a restaurant, digging into his wallet.

Paulun said the outings teach him about respecting others, particularly women, as well as table manners, dinner conversation and the value of money. 

Once a month my 6 year old son takes me out on a dinner date. He opens doors for me, pulls out my chair, talks about his...

Posted by Nikkole Paulun on Friday, January 1, 2016

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • A former Canadian Catholic school teacher will spend one year in jail after reportedly having a sexual relationship with a student. According to the CBC, Christina Albini, a former teacher at Christ the King Catholic Elementary School in Windsor, Ontario, pleaded guilty to touching the body of a person under the age of 16 for a sexual purpose. She would regularly pick the boy up and take him to her home to have sex with him, the CBC reported. >> Substitute teacher accused of sex with student Albini sent nude photos of herself to him on a cellphone she bought for him, authorities said, according to the Windsor Star and Daily Mail. Authorities said the boy’s mother eventually discovered the phone and the photos and notified police, who reportedly also found receipts for gifts Albini had bought the boy, including an Xbox and clothes. Albini was initially arrested in July and was additionally charged with possession of child pornography, accessing child pornography and making sexually explicit material available to a person under 16. Those charges were later dropped. Her sentence includes three years of probation following her release and a 20-year requirement to register as a sex offender. >> Read more trending news “She’s frightened to go to jail,” said Albini's lawyer, Patrick Ducharme, the CBC reported. “But it’s the type of crime that the government insisted that it’s serious enough that people have to go to jail and she accepts that.” In addition to jail time and probation, a justice of the peace imposed bail conditions upon Albini that would make it nearly impossible for her to teach again, as they prohibit her from being in the company of any males under the age of 16.
  • The body of a woman found found Monday inside a bathroom at a Walmart in Oklahoma has been identified, but police still aren’t sure how long she was there. >> Read more trending news Sand Springs police have identified the woman as 29-year-old Katherine Caraway from Muskogee. According to police, employees assumed that the family bathroom was out of order because it was locked. Employees placed an out of order sign on the door Friday and it remained there throughout the weekend. On Monday, employees unlocked the bathroom door and found the woman.  Sand Springs Police say their preliminary investigation shows nothing suspicious about the woman's death. They do not know why she was in Sand Springs.  Walmart issued the following statement about the discovery:   'We are saddened by this. We don't know all the facts right now, but we are working closely with local law enforcement to provide what information we have that might be useful. Because this is an ongoing investigation, we must refer you to them for additional information.' 
  • A pregnant woman is still recovering from a brown recluse spider bite that happened over a month ago.  Kendall Butler was woken by the bite. She killed the spider and took it to the hospital with her immediately. >> Read more trending news Doctors were able to stop the infection and keep her unborn child safe by using antibiotics. However, she does have a large area of skin on her stomach that died because of the spider’s venom. Doctors said they don’t want to fully treat the wound yet because of the baby. Originally, the plan was to evacuate the wound and then look into skin grafts once the child is born. Now, Butler’s doctors say the wound needs to be evacuated sooner. They will wait until July 10 when the baby is seven weeks from the due date. Experts believe she’ll be strong enough by then to be born early, just in case anything happens during the procedure. A Green Country entomologist said that Oklahoma’s mild winter caused more dangerous insects to come out early. Experts say people should take precautions against insects while outside, but that there isn’t much to be done indoors but have homes sprayed. The Centers for Disease Control says that even though people fear bug spray with DEET is bad for pregnant women, it’s actually recommended with the same precautions as those who are not pregnant or lactating.
  • An inmate was shot and killed Wednesday after authorities said he grabbed a deputy's gun and fired it at Nashville's 100 Oaks Mall, according to multiple reports. >> Read more trending news In a tweet around 2 p.m. local time, Vanderbilt University officials wrote that a shooting was reported at the 100 Oaks Mall campus of Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
  • A California man accused of killing his missing 5-year-old son laughed and attempted to joke with a Las Vegas judge Tuesday during an extradition hearing. Aramazd Andressian Sr., 35, of South Pasadena, was arrested Friday and charged with murder in the presumed death of his son, Aramazd Andressian Jr., who has been missing since April. Andressian, who authorities believe was preparing to flee to a country that would not extradite him back to the U.S., is being held in lieu of a $10 million bond.  Investigators had Andressian taken into custody in Las Vegas, where he lived on and off in the two months since his son was last seen, to prevent his potential flight. Reporters from KTLA in Los Angeles were in a courtroom there on Tuesday for Andressian’s extradition hearing.  Video from the news station showed Andressian, who had recently shaved off his beard and dyed his dark hair blond, smiling and laughing with fellow inmates. During Andressian’s time before the bench, the judge asked him if he intended to fight extradition.  “No, I never came here in an attempt to flee,” Andressian said.  When the judge mentioned the California media present in the courtroom, Andressian joked that the reporters could take him back with them.  KTLA reported that Aramazd Andressian Jr., whose nickname was Piqui, was last seen leaving Disneyland with his father around 1 a.m. April 21. Andressian told authorities he took his son to the Cachuma Lake Recreation Area in Santa Barbara County later that morning. Though investigators did find evidence that Andressian was at the lake that day, there were no sightings of Piqui.   The boy’s mother, Ana Estevez, reported him missing on April 22 when Andressian failed to show up for the scheduled custody exchange of their son. The Los Angeles Times reported that Andressian was found unconscious that same day in a South Pasadena park. His gray 2004 BMW was doused in gasoline, the Times said. Authorities said Andressian had taken prescription pills in what they believe was an attempted suicide.  Though he was initially held in his son’s disappearance, he was later released due to lack of evidence. Andressian, who said he didn’t know what happened to his son, stopped cooperating and hired a lawyer, authorities said.  >> Read more trending news Investigators have said little about the circumstantial evidence against Andressian, but have said that, as Estevez, multiple law enforcement agencies and volunteers searched in vain for the boy, Andressian was instead “socializing” in Las Vegas. “He was taking part in activities and displaying mannerisms that were not consistent with a grieving parent,” Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Joe Mendoza said Monday at a news conference.  Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey said at the news conference that trying a murder case without a victim’s body has challenges, but that her office has prosecuted similar cases successfully in the past.  “It may seem unusual to file murder charges when we have not yet found the child’s body,” Lacey said. “But rest assured, my office has successfully prosecuted such cases before.” Investigators said they believe that Andressian killed his son in a “pre-planned event” because of an acrimonious divorce from his ex-wife. Estevez released a statement about the loss of her son, the Times reported.  “My heart is shattered, and I will miss my son immensely each and every second of every day for the rest of my life,” she said. “Piqui was everything great in my life, and I cannot imagine the emptiness and void that I will bear until we are together again someday.” A $30,000 reward is being offered for information on Piqui’s disappearance. 

The Latest News Videos