ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day
78°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 82° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    78°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 82° L 78°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    89°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 82° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Evening
    Mostly Cloudy. H 90° L 78°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Miss Florida dethroned after scoring error is found

Another Miss America hopeful has been dethroned. 

Twenty-year-old Elizabeth Fechtel was told this week there was a miscalculation of points at the pageant, and she is not Miss Florida after all. (Via YouTube/ ThePageantGuy)

Fechtel was crowned Miss Florida last Saturday, but now the true winner, 21-year-old Victoria Cowen, is taking over. (Via  WTVT)

The Miss America system already made headlines this week when Miss Delaware was forced to give up her crown after it was discovered she is actually too old to compete at the national pageant. (Via NBC)

Miss Florida Executive Director Mary Sullivan wrote on the organization's Facebook page Saturday,"There was no real way to win except to do the right thing. Congratulations to Victoria Cowen for an exciting year that lies ahead, and to Elizabeth Fechtel for a bright and shining future." (Via Facebook / Miss Florida Scholarship Pageant)

Tampa Bay Times reports after Fechtel was told of the situation, she prayed with her family and then called Cowen and congratulated her. Now that's a class act, Liz. 

According to Villages-News.com, Fechtel had already withdrawn from her University of Florida classes to prepare for the Miss America pageant when she was told of the mix-up. 

Fechtel has not yet made a comment to the numerous media outlets that have reached out. (Via YouTube / PromGirl.com)

Cowen, the new Miss Florida, will go on to represent the Sunshine State in the Miss America pageant this fall. 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • Television viewers in Jacksonville looking to cut the cord of traditional cable and satellite services are getting another option. YouTube TV is now available in the Jacksonville-Brunswick market, offering more than 40 live channels and unlimited online DVR storage, for $35 per month. A monthly subscription also comes with six accounts per houshould. More information on how to signup: here. 
  • Florida prisons were placed on lockdown Thursday following reports of security threats.  >> Read more trending news The Florida Department of Corrections announced that it canceled weekend visitation at all institutions for Saturday and Sunday because of a possible security threat. Correction officials said they received information that indicated small groups of inmates at several institutions would try to disrupt prison operations. The lockdown affects more than 97,000 inmates in Florida’s 151 correctional facilities, including major institutions, work camps and annex facilities. The move affects recreational and educational programs, but inmates are not confined to their cells, officials said. The cancellation does not apply to work release centers, department officials said.  
  • One person is dead after a train crashed into a truck on Thursday night in Green Cove Springs. The Florida Highway Patrol said the accident involved an Amtrak train and a truck. The truck had two people inside when it was hit by the train. The train was heading from Orlando to New York and there were passengers on board. None of those passengers were hurt.   FHP said the train was stuck for about an hour. Officials say the crossing rails were working. “As far as I know, they were, they have been, working the entire time we have been out here and the train did just go through a few minutes ago, and they were working at that time,” said Lt. Tina Hall with FHP.  Hearing reports of train vs. car accident. Heading to scene now. @ActionNewsJax — Larry Spruill Jr (@LarryANjax) August 17, 2017 Scene Video: Train vs. car. @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/i5MID2YR2R — Larry Spruill Jr (@LarryANjax) August 17, 2017 Police have this part of the road blocked off. @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/qR8V4GmrpZ — Larry Spruill Jr (@LarryANjax) August 17, 2017 CSX officials just arrived to train vs. car accident. @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/dW3yt1uBmf — Larry Spruill Jr (@LarryANjax) August 17, 2017 Neighbors tell me this is a quiet road. Not a lot of cars travel down this road. @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/AzlxG4qe2s — Larry Spruill Jr (@LarryANjax) August 17, 2017
  • A Cleveland father is upset after he says his son was left on the school bus for hours on his first day of classes. WJW reported that Trevelle Hargrove’s 6-year-old son, Trevelle Jr.,  has special needs. Hargrove said his son fell asleep on the bus. >> Read more trending news Trevelle Jr.  said he was found after he honked the horn of the bus and jumped up and down. A spokesperson for the Cleveland Metropolitan School District said Trevelle Jr. fell asleep on the bus Monday and was there for less than an hour. His father says otherwise. “After an hour and they couldn't tell me what was going on I started to get extremely worried,” Hargrove told WJW. 'I couldn't understand why no one could tell me where my son was.” Hargrove said his son was back four hours later, at 6:30 p.m. “You can’t just forget to do things,” he said. “This isn’t like a normal job where you forget to put the straw in the bag or you forget to clock in or whatever it is you do at a normal job. You can’t do that when it comes to kids.” Hargrove said his son won’t be riding the bus again any time soon. The district is is investigating. Cleveland Metropolitan Schools Chief Communications Officer Roseann Canfora issued the following statement to WJW: “Drivers are trained to follow strict protocols for inspecting every seat at the beginning and end of their routes, and CMSD has a zero tolerance for any violation of these safety guidelines.” The bus driver has resigned. WJW reported they may be terminated pending the outcome of the district’s investigation.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is investigating after a man's body was found in the St. Johns River near the Hart Bridge. Police responded Thursday night to the 4500 block of Richard Denby Gatlin Road, near the Arlington Lions Club Park. Police said it appears that the man's body has been in the river for a few days. At this time, foul play is not suspected in the man's death. The man, who appears to be in his 30s to 50s, does not match any missing person descriptions. This is a developing story. Refresh this page, follow @ActionNewsJax on Twitter and watch FOX30 Action News Jax at 10 for updates.

The Latest News Videos