ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
84°
Broken Clouds
H 86° L 65°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    84°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 86° L 65°
  • clear-night
    65°
    Morning
    Clear. H 86° L 65°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    84°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 87° L 68°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Nine-month-old baby can't open his mouth

A 9-month-old baby from Ottawa has doctors puzzled — because he isn't able to fully open his mouth. 

Wyatt Scott has an extremely rare disorder called congenital trismus which doesn't allow the boy to open his jaw. CBC says it's so rare that the hospital where Wyatt is currently being treated doesn't even have a case study to consult. 

One Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario doctor told CBC what they do know about the disorder.

"It can cause issues of getting food in with any nipple or bottle feeding and it can also have trouble for the secretions, so they often have associated swallowing difficulties."

Daily Mail notes that Wyatt was monitored by doctors in a hospital for his first three months of life, and since he was sent to live at home his parents have had to rush him to the hospital six times because he was choking.

Congenital trismus is usually caused by an extra band of tissue or a fused joint in the mouth, but both CT and MRI scans show this isn't the case for Wyatt.

Doctors believe there might be a muscle problem, but ABC says to find out Wyatt would have to be sedated. Anesthesiologists are wary to do that because they wouldn't be able to monitor his airways, since Wyatt can't open his mouth. 

Because no one has been able to come up with a solution for Wyatt, his mother, Amy, created a website called WhatsWrongWithWyatt? Both Amy and her husband Scott hope someone will come across the website and know what to do.

A writer for the Ottawa Citizen says Wyatt is currently being fed through a nasal tube, but his parents hope doctors will soon be able to insert a tube through his abdomen wall to feed their son that way. 

Amy and Scott are currently teaching Wyatt sign language in case he won't ever be able to speak. They told the Ottawa Citzien that Wyatt already understands some basic signs.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • Clay County Schools said Fleming Island High School is currently under a precautionary boil water advisory for the next 48 to 72 hours. Water service to the school was temporarily interrupted for the emergency repair of a broken water line on Wednesday, according to our partner Action News Jax. Restrooms are working, but the school district said students are urged to bring their own water bottles to drink during the day. The school district said it will also provide drinking water until the boil water advisory is lifted.
  • He had been found incompetent to stand trial three times, but Joshua Goldberg may now be ready to face the federal terror-related charge he’s accused of.  The Orange Park man was indicted in September 2015. Court documents claim Goldberg sent information on how to make a bomb to a person he believed was going to plant the bomb at a September 11th memorial event in Kansas City, Missouri. Goldberg’s instructions even included how to inflict the most damage with the device- like dipping shrapnel in rat poison- according to the indictment. The person speaking with Goldberg was actually a confidential informant.  Prosecutors say Goldberg admitted to giving the instructions, but he believed the person he was speaking with wasn’t going to follow through. The indictment says Goldberg planned to tell law enforcement if the device was actually planted, making himself a hero.  Goldberg was first ruled incompetent to stand trial in December 2015, then again in June and December 2016. He has been undergoing treatment at Federal Medical Center in Butner, NC for autism spectrum disorder and major depressive disorder. During a status hearing Wednesday, a judge mentioned that a competency report had been received in which doctors who have been treating Goldberg say he is now competent to stand trial.  A competency hearing must still be held where a judge will make a formal determination. Goldberg’s attorney, Paul Shorstein, tells WOKV News that he is unsure at this time whether he will dispute the doctor’s report. “I really can’t say one way or another. I mean, I’ve read the report. I need to talk to him, talk to his family,” Shorstein says. He plans to know more by the competency hearing.  The US Attorney’s Office confirms another status conference has been set for April 7th, at which time they will set a date for the competency hearing. 
  • Ford has issued a recall covering 441,000 2013 through 2015 model year vehicles over problems related to engine fires and faulty door latches. The company is alerting 230,000 owners of four 2013 through 2015 models, including Fusion mid-size cars, Escape SUVs, Fiesta ST subcompacts and Transit Connect vans with 1.6-Liter turbocharged engines. >> Read more trending news The engines can overheat, causing a crack in the cylinder head, according to Ford. Oil could leak through the crack possibly catching fire, if it comes in contact with a hot surface. Ford has reported 29 fires related to the problem, but no injuries, The Associated Press reported.    The auto giant is also recalling another 211,000 2013 and 2014 model year vehicles as part of a previous recall over faulty door latches that cause doors to open while the car is being driven. The vehicles include the 2013 and 2014 Fusion and Lincoln MKZ, and the 2014 Fiesta. >> Got a question about the news? See our explainers here Ford will contact owners about the recalls and provide information on how to fix the problems. The Associated Press contributed to this story.
  • The companies that provide you with internet service may soon be able to sell your web browser and app history to advertisers without your consent. >> Read more trending news The U.S. House of Representatives voted Tuesday to repeal rules preventing internet-service providers from doing so. The Senate already voted in favor of the repeal. Now the legislation is being sent to President Donald Trump, who is a strong supporter of the move, according to Reuters. If the president signs the repeal, companies such as Comcast, AT&T and Verizon can sell the personal browsing habits of their customers to advertisers, who can then use that trove of data to create ads targeted to that user. This is similar to what Facebook already does, but it would be on a larger scale and wouldn’t require someone to give IPSs permission to use their information, according to The Guardian.  Cox Media Group, which owns the site this story is displayed on, generally does not disclose that information. “We will not disclose personally-identifying information collected through our website to third parties except as provided in this privacy policy,” according to CMG’s website. While the House and Senate are supporters of the move, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said the American people are not.  “Overwhelmingly, the American people do not agree with Republicans that this information should be sold, and it certainly should not be sold without your permission,' said Pelosi, D-Calif. 'Our broadband providers know deeply personal information about us and our families.' So if the privacy laws are repealed, what can you do to protect their browsing history? Unfortunately, not much unless the person is tech-savvy. The Guardian suggests encrypting internet traffic. This can be done through a VPN service, which requires a subscription cost, or using Tor, a software program that enables anonymous communication.
  • A Florida woman told authorities “Don’t worry about it” when police arrived to investigate a fatal shooting this week at an apartment building in Orlando. Paula Hobbs, 51, is accused in the shooting death of her 63-year-old live-in boyfriend Tuesday night. >> Read more trending news When police arrived at the scene at the Rosemont Country Club Apartments they found an unresponsive man and Hobbs standing in a stairwell, Orlando police spokeswoman Michelle Guido said. When the officer asked Hobbs what was going on, she said, “Don’t worry about it,” then locked herself in the apartment, according to a police report on the incident. Investigators said officers were eventually able to convince Hobbs to give herself up. Detectives searching the apartment for evidence found splattered blood and a .22-caliber revolver in the bottom drawer of a bedroom dresser, the arrest affidavit said. Investigators said they determined that five of the gun’s nine rounds had been fired. If you tell me he is dead, I will tell you why I did it,” Hobbs told police at the scene, the report said. Hobbs was booked into the Orange County Jail on a first-degree murder charges.

The Latest News Videos