Breaking News:

CRASH on I-295 E Beltway NB at Pulaski blocking ALL lanes 

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day
88°
Sunny
H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 92° L 77°
  • clear-day
    78°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    90°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 79°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Ohio man buried atop motorcycle
Close

Ohio man buried atop motorcycle

Ohio man buried atop motorcycle
Photo Credit: WHIO TV
A photo taken of Billy Standley riding his prized motorcycle. Jeff Guerini/Staff

Ohio man buried atop motorcycle

Billy Standley started planning to be buried astride his 1967 motorcycle about 18 years ago. His family carried out his wish Friday with a large Plexiglas casket.

As far back as his family can remember, Standley said he was going to be buried astride his Harley Davidson Electra Glide. They said the motorcycle helped him retain his sense of adventure after he settled down to raise four children in Mechanicsburg, Ohio, — quite a compromise for the man who made his start at the tender age of 13 as a ranch hand and rodeo rider.

“He was gruff, but his heart was as big as all outdoors,” said his daughter, Dorothy Brown.

Standley began making the burial plans because when he died he didn’t just want to ride to heaven, he wanted the whole world to see him do it in a see-through coffin. This required a lot of preparation, and even more gumption.

“He was a quirky man,” Brown said. “But when it comes to us kids, he loved us, he raised us well and, of course, we wanted to help him.”

He started by buying three extra burial plots at the Fairview Cemetery in Mutual, Ohio, next to his wife, Lorna. The land was big enough for the 9-by-11-foot cement septic tank able to accommodate his bike. His sons, Pete and Roy, fashioned the casket out of Plexiglas, reinforcing the bottom with wood and steel rods to handle the extra weight. For five years, it sat in Standley’s garage and “if you stopped by his house, he showed you his casket,” Roy Standley said.

“He was proud of it,” he added.

Enlisting the help of Dave and Tammy Vernon, co-owners of Vernon Funeral Homes Inc., he ensured his funeral would be held outside, so all his biker friends could watch his final ride.

“We’ve done personalization … but nothing this extreme,” Tammy Vernon said. “He was the one who kept throwing this idea out there, to be buried on his bike. We were glad to assist him.”

His forethought proved advantageous after Standley was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year. Even as his mind wandered, his children or friends couldn’t forget his final wishes. When Standley succumbed to lung cancer Sunday at the age of 82, his plan rolled into action.

Five embalmers prepared his body and secured him with a metal back brace and straps to ensure he’d never lose his seat on his beloved bike, even as it was towed by a trailer to his final resting place. The casket was assembled in the garage of Vernon’s’ funeral home in Mechanicsburg, enshrining him with his trophies and well-worn leathers.
 
After the visitation in the parking lot, motorcyclists from across the country were to join him on his final ride to the cemetery.

The burial might have been bizarre, and a bit shocking, to those in Mechanicsburg, his family agreed. But they also know it’s only natural that Standley would want to make an entrance when he meets his maker.

“He’d done right by us all these years, and at least we could see he goes out the way he wanted to,” Pete Standley said.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • A Jacksonville man will spend 30 years in prison for paying tens of thousands of dollars to foreign nationals for “sex shows” involving very young children. 49-year-old Justin Laurence McKinley sent $31,415 through 100 electronic transfers to people who would molest children while suspects were watching. Court records show McKinley paid for these “sex shows” over several years, including making requests during live video sessions for what sexual abuse the person with the child should perform on the victim. Prosecutors say the victims were between newborn and 8-years-old.  The FBI’s investigation of the website involved started in 2015. Several individuals in a foreign country were molesting young children to broadcast these “sex shows”, according to prosecutors, and those individuals have been arrested. Investigators found McKinley had been paying to view the live streams.  When federal law enforcement served a search warrant on McKinley’s home in May 2016, they found 600 videos and 6,500 images of sexual abuse of children on his computer.  In addition to his sentence of 30 years in prison, McKinley has been ordered to serve a life term of supervision and he will register as a sex offender.
  • A 3-year-old boy vacationing with his family in the Florida Keys died after he wandered off and ended up in a canal, according to news reports. >> Read more trending news The family had arrived at Key Colony Beach near Marathon on Saturday evening after traveling from their home in Gainesville, Georgia, the Miami Herald reported. While they were unpacking, Andrew Williams got out of the home they were renting and headed toward a canal, the paper said. A neighbor started screaming when she found him in the water around 6:45 p.m. The neighbor’s husband pulled Andrew out, and by then his parents, Erica and Jeffrey Williams, arrived, according to a Monroe County Sheriff’s Office report obtained by the Miami Herald.  The boy’s father started to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation on his son until Marathon Fire-Rescue paramedics arrived and took over, the report said.  Andrew was taken to a hospital where he died just before 10 p.m., according to officials. Read more at the Miami Herald
  • Sears announced Thursday that it will begin sellling its full line of Kenmore-brand appliances online through Amazon. The retailer, which has been struggling the past few years and has closed stores across the country, saw an 8 percent jump in the price of its stock in pre-market trading on the announcement. 'We continuously look for opportunities to enhance the reach of our iconic brands to more customers and create additional value from our assets,' Sears CEO Eddie Lampert said in a statement. Sears Holdings  announced earlier this month that it would be closing an additional 35 Kmart stores and eight Sears locations across the country. The company had already announced the closing of more than 300 Kmarts and Sears locations since January. 'This collaboration is the first of its kind for Kenmore, broadening its accessibility to the next generation of American families outside of Sears branded retail channels,' Tom Park, president of the Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard brands at Sears said.
  • A total of three people have been taken to the hospital after a lightning strike in Mandarin- two of the victims are in critical condition. JSO says a total of four men were on the roof of a home at the time of the strike. The men were doing roofing work, with the home under construction. One of the four men was not hurt and another was taken to the hospital as a precaution with minor burn injuries. One of the men in critical condition suffered burns from a direct lightning strike, while the other suffered injuries after falling from the roof. There were isolated, but strong storms in the area at the time of the strike. OSHA tells WOKV they will investigate, with this happening at a home construction site. We’re gathering more information about what happened and will continue to update this story through the day.
  • The state senator who helped push through Ohio’s medical marijuana law wants to ask U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Drug Enforcement Agency and the U.S. Congress to re-classify cannabis. >> Read more trending news State Sen. Kenny Yuko, D-Richmond Heights, introduced a resolution in the Ohio Senate on Wednesday that would make a formal request to the feds to drop marijuana from the list of controlled substances. The resolution, which would have to pass both the Ohio House and Senate, doesn’t carry much clout. It is a mechanism for sending a message on an issue. Ohio and 28 other states have embraced medical marijuana programs, even though the drug is still considered illegal under federal Controlled Substances Act. The prohibition makes clinical studies about marijuana’s medical benefits more difficult, the resolution said. Likewise, it makes getting health insurance to cover medical marijuana and getting banks to handle financial transactions more difficult, the resolution said. Ohio’s medical marijuana law, signed by Gov. John Kasich in June 2016, took effect in September. While the Obama administration took a hands-off approach on medical marijuana in states with well-regulated programs, the Trump administration seems to be taking a different stance. “Drug traffickers already cultivate and distribute marijuana inside the United States under the guise of state medical marijuana laws,” Sessions wrote in a May 1 letter to congressional leaders. Under Ohio’s new program, three state agencies -- Department of Commerce, Board of Pharmacy and State Medical Board -- will oversee regulations for growers, doctors, patients and dispensaries. State authorities are currently writing rules for processors, testing labs and dispensaries and are considering applications from companies vying for 24 cultivator licenses.

The Latest News Videos