ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
74°
Scattered Clouds
H 75° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    74°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 75° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    71°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 75° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    62°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 78° L 62°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Phony Navy SEAL buried with military honors
Close

Phony Navy SEAL buried with military honors

Phony Navy SEAL buried with military honors
John Marcus Alberti claimed he had military honors given by President John F. Kennedy. But that was a lie.

Phony Navy SEAL buried with military honors

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

A man who claimed he was a decorated Navy SEAL was buried earlier this month will full honors at a cemetery reserved for military heroes.

But the man was a fake, KIRO-TV in Seattle reports.

The man never served a day in the Navy, and officials at Tahoma National Ceremony in Kent, Washington, were unaware of his bogus claims until KIRO-TV checked the man’s background and explained his phony documentation.

Now, outrage is growing among actual military veterans, and some are calling for his remains to exhumed.

John Marcus Alberti died in April and had no next of kin. A friend went through his belongings and found a military discharge paper called a DD 214. The paper detailed how Alberti served as a Navy SEAL in Vietnam, winning numerous medals for bravery.

>> Read more trending stories

The document even said he was honored by President John F. Kennedy.

The friend, who believed Alberti served because of the document, took the paper to American Legion Post 78 in Auburn, Washington. Officials there worked with the Tahoma National Cemetery. Click here to download a PDF of Alberti's bogus military document.

On July 24, Tahoma National Cemetery gave Alberti a ceremony with full military honors. Post 78 originally posted pictures of the ceremony on its Facebook page.

But the paper has some glaring mistakes.

Navy SEAL veteran Don Shipley is dedicated to exposing fake Navy SEALs. “Not to me. I saw it."

“The guy couldn't even spell Saigon,” Shipley said.

For true military heroes to be buried at Tahoma National Cemetery, the cemetery needs a certified military discharge paper. But Alberti's fake discharge paper was good enough to fool the American Legion and cemetery staff.

Alberti was first exposed in 2008 by the POW Network. Alberti was homeless at the time and staying with a couple in Kent.  They sought out the POW Network, saying he told them stories of being a prisoner of war.  

The POW Network did a check to confirm his service and found Alberti was a phony.  At one point, the network posted his name on its other site, fakewarriors.org.

But in 2012, that site took down the names of those who’d been exposed as phonies.

KIRO-TV spoke to the director of Tahoma National Cemetery, who said the cemetery accepted Alberti, believing the fake military discharge paper was real.

In other cases, bodies have been removed from national cemeteries after officials determined the deceased were not eligible. A U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs spokesman said the agency is still investigating Alberti's case.

“He needs to get out of there,” Shipley said.  “He's buried among heroes.”

Statement from American Legion Post 78

Prior to the interment of John Marcus Alberti and the Auburn-Reporter's published op-ed - written by a friend of Alberti - a Google search of his name produced little information aside from innocuous items such as FaceBook and LinkedIn pages. It was not until we were contacted by Don Shipley on Saturday (7/26) that we became aware of the "stolen valor" issue. On Sunday (7/27), a search of Alberti's name on the Fakewarriors.org website produced absolutely ZERO results.

Auburn Post 78 had no knowledge of, nor contact with, Alberti prior to his death in April 2014. Alberti died on 4/18/2014 and his body was turned over to the King County Medical Examiner's Office in Seattle. In late April, Alberti's girlfriend of about 7 years contacted our Post service officer for assistance as Alberti had no known family and she was not legally his next of kin. She provided the Post with a copy of a DD214, that she apparently found in his possessions with a VARO Seattle "true copy" stamp and signature on the back.  The DD214 was taken to Tahoma National Cemetery to schedule interment. A representative there researched him on their system and determined he was eligible to be interred at TNC.

At this time, all postings and pictures regarding Alberti have been removed from the websites and Facebook pages over which we have control. We at Auburn Post 78 are extremely distressed that we may have played a role in interring a "fake warrior" in our National cemetery; however the last we heard, the folks at TNC say he is an eligible Navy veteran (disclaimer: being eligible to be buried in the National Cemetery does not in any way imply that the service/training/awards listed on the DD214 are correct).

Carol Reed
Adjutant, Auburn Post 78

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • It’s hard to be a parent when your child gets arrested. And not everyone takes it well. But one mother showed gratitude to police who arrested her daughter in Florida while she was on spring break. >> Read more trending news  The Walton County Sheriff’s Office posted the text of a letter it received last week on its Facebook page. In the note, a mother thanks the department for arresting her 19-year-old daughter for underage drinking. “Yesterday, my daughter was one of the thousands of spoiled spring breakers ‘living it up’ on the beach,” she wrote. “She got arrested for underage drinking. She was holding a can of beer on the beach. A stupid move that I warned her about before she left, but I’m just her mother, so ‘in one ear and out the other.’”  She said the arrest taught her daughter a lesson, and she thanked the officers for their professionalism. “The arrest scared the hell out of her, and I’m hoping she learned her lesson. The reason that I am sending this is that every officer that I talked to or that I could hear in the background talking to her was so nice! Firm, but nice,” the mother wrote. “For a mom hundreds of miles away, that was very reassuring. I know you all have to deal with this on a daily basis, which must be completely annoying, and I'm very sorry my daughter added to your workload yesterday. They say you always have one child that makes you go grey early and she is mine! Thank you for saving me a few more grey hairs last night.” The post has been liked more than 3,000 times.
  • A North Dakota church recently bought by a self-proclaimed white supremacist has burned to the ground, KVRR reported. >> Read more trending news  The Attorney General’s office said there isn’t any new information to release, but Craig Cobb said he knows the fire was set intentionally and believes it was a hate crime. “I was going to turn it over to the creativity movement with a stipulation that that branch of the church be called the Donald J. Trump. … President Donald J. Trump, Creativity Church of Rome, not Nome, Rome,” Cobb told KVRR. “A little play on history there, you see.” Cobb said he had big plans for the church, formerly known as Nome Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. “I absolutely would have if they would have given me half a chance, which the hater did not by burning down my property,” Cobb told KVRR. “An arsonist did it, of course. That’s all, an arsonist, it’s really simple.” Cobb was in Sherwood, North Dakota, when he received an email from an attorney about his destroyed property. “I just want to insert that it’s a terroristic attack,” Cobb told KVRR. “I’m going to ask the DOJ and the FBI to apply hate crime charges against them too.”  Cobb is offering an award of at least $2,000 to anyone with information that can lead to the responsible party. “I really want them caught, I really, really want them caught,” he told KVRR.
  • The news from retailers across the country this quarter has not been good.  More than two dozen stores and restaurants, including the likes of Macy's, Payless Shoes, Outback Steakhouse and Noodles and Company, have either closed locations or have announce plans to shutter stores across the country. As people choose e-commerce over shopping in brick-and-mortar stores, experts said customers can expect to see more deserted storefronts and “going out of business” signs. 'It's going to be a year of transition and a year of reckoning and a year of awakening for retailers,' said Marshal Cohen, chief industry analysis for the NPD Group. NPD Group conducts market research on consumer trends. More shoppers are eschewing retail outlets for the convenience of online shopping, made sweeter with deals from the likes of Amazon, which offers free shipping if you are an Amazon Prime member.  Amazon has seen the benefits of such features. In the fourth quarter of 2016, the company saw a 22 percent increase in revenue over the fourth quarter of 2015. U.S. shoppers spent a record high $91.7 billion online during the 2016 holiday season. While e-commerce is seen as quick and generally easy, a study conducted in 2013 by WD Partners showed that nearly 80 percent of respondents said instant gratification was what got them out of their homes and into the malls.  Here’s a list of 15 retailers that have announced store closings for 2017. American Apparel – all 110 stores closed CVS – closing 70 stores Chico – closing 120 stores Crocs – closing 160 stores Family Christian – closing all of its 240 stores  JCPenney – closing 138 stores Kmart – closing 108 stores Macy's – closing 63 stores Office Depot – closing 100 stores Payless Shoes – closing 400-500 stores Radio Shack – closing 552 stores Sears – closing 42 stores The Limited – closed 250 stores in January The Children’s Place – closing as many as 200 stores H.H. Gregg – closing 88 stores  Several restaurant chains have also announced they will be closing locations in 2017 as well. Forty “underperforming” Carrabba’s, Outback, Bonefish Grill and Flemings restaurants will be closing by the end of the year, according to the company that owns them. In 2016, chains Bob Evans, Logan’s Roadhouse, Old Country Buffet and Ruby Tuesday all announced restaurant closings.
  • An 83-year-old New York man checked himself out of a hospital in the middle of the night Tuesday and then allegedly stole an ambulance to get home, WNBC reported. >> Read more trending news Donald Winkler of Merrick reportedly was unhappy with the treatment he had received after being admitted to Nassau University Medical Center last week, so at 1 a.m. Tuesday he checked himself out. After leaving the emergency room and walking into the parking lot, Winkler noticed an ambulance with the keys in the ignition, got in and drove away, according to the Nassau County Police Department. Police found Winkler at an area 7-Eleven and reported that he admitted he had stolen the ambulance. Police then arrested Winkler, WNBC reported. After being taken back to Nassau University Medical Center for evaluation and treatment, Winkler was arraigned at his bedside on a charge of second-degree grand larceny. Neighbors said they took Winkler to see a doctor because he has heart issues and was having trouble breathing. Winkler's family advised him not to drive the car parked at his home, but he ignored their concerns because he cherishes his independence, WNBC reported. 'He's not supposed to be driving,' a neighbor named Marie told WNBC. 'There's a car in the driveway, but his children told me they told him, do not drive. I guess he wanted to get home that bad.' Authorities said the medic who left the ambulance with the keys in the ignition will be held responsible but that it is common to leave the vehicle running after dropping off a patient.
  • An Oklahoma company is recalling nearly 1 million pounds of breaded chicken products sold nationwide after customers complained of finding “metal objects” in the food. >> Read more trending news About 933,300 pounds of OK Food Inc. breaded chicken products fall under the recall, according to a notice issued Thursday by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The chicken was sold under various brand names, including Wal-Mart’s Great Value store brand. The products were also sold to institutions across the country. >> See the full list of recalled OK Food Inc. chicken products The affected chicken products have establishment No. P-7092 in the USDA mark of inspection. The recall comes after five people complained of finding metal in OK Food Inc.’s chicken. Personnel with the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service also found metal in the products. OK Food Inc. determined that the food was tainted by metal from a conveyor belt. No injuries or illnesses have been reported.

The Latest News Videos