- WATCH: Man in Mentos suit dropped into vat of Diet Coke
- Stray bullet kills new father at baby's welcome home party
- Toddler dies after being left in hot SUV all day
- Pa. mom gives birth during open heart surgery
- Father-daughter duo catch burglars in wild car chase
Hong Nguyen was jogging Monday morning when she heard the sounds of a crying baby in the brush along a running trail in Houston. The infant was still straped to a baby seat.
Hours earlier, around 1 a.m. Monday morning, the mother of the 8-month-old had stopped at a Texaco gas station when police say the mother left her vehicle running with her sleeping infant in the back seat to go inside a convenience store. While inside, someone drove away with in her car with the child still inside, police say.
An Amber Alert was issued for 8-month-old Genesis Haley. A few hours later, the vehicle was found abandon near an apartment complex. The child was not located at that time.
It wasn't until 7:45 a.m. that the baby was discovered by Nyguyen and called 911. She did not now that there was an Amber Alert issued and initially thought the baby had been abandoned.
The baby appeared to be in good condition was taken to Texas Children's Hospital and later released to her mother.
The suspect was still at large Monday afternoon.