Breaking News:

Overland Bridge traffic shift set for overnight Friday

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
72°
Few Showers
H 80° L 69°
  • cloudy-day
    72°
    Current Conditions
    Few Showers. H 80° L 69°
  • rain-day
    78°
    Afternoon
    Few Showers. H 80° L 69°
  • cloudy-day
    76°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 80° L 71°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies in acid after family Thanksgiving dinner
Close

Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies in acid after family Thanksgiving dinner

Man Kills Parents, Dissolves Bodies

Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies in acid after family Thanksgiving dinner

A man is accused of killing his parents, cutting up their remains and dissolving the body parts in a homemade acid-based solution last week after the family spent Thanksgiving together.

Joel Michael Guy Jr., 28, is being charged with two counts of first-degree murder in Knoxville, Tennessee, where the slayings occurred. The Knox County Sheriff’s Office stated Wednesday that Guy had driven up to Knoxville from his apartment in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to spend the holiday with his parents and three sisters.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that Guy’s sisters told investigators that everything seemed fine between Guy and their parents during Thanksgiving dinner. His sisters returned to their own homes after the celebration, and said they were surprised their brother planned to stay the entire weekend.

Maj. Michael MacLean, of the Knox County Sheriff’s Office, said that investigators believe it was sometime between Friday night, when Joel Guy Sr., 61, and Lisa Guy, 55, were last seen alive, and mid-day Saturday that they were slain. They suffered “vicious” stab wounds before being dismembered, according to the Sheriff’s Office.  

The Advocate in Baton Rouge reported that Guy spent at least one night in the home after allegedly dismembering his parents. He left Tennessee on Sunday for Baton Rouge, where he was arrested outside his apartment building Tuesday afternoon by agents from the FBI and the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office.

>> Read more trending stories

The motive for the crime remains unclear, though the Advocate reported that the Guys had been paying many of their unemployed son’s bills and had planned on talking to him over the holiday about cutting off some of their financial support. The Times News of Kingsport, Tennessee, reported that Joel Guy Jr. told investigators that he and his parents had discussed money on Thanksgiving.

Guy Jr., who graduated high school from the residential Louisiana School for Math, Science and the Arts in 2008, spent time in and out of college before reportedly withdrawing from his classes at Louisiana State University last year, the Advocate said.

The crime scene at his parents’ Tennessee home, which MacLean described as “gruesome,” was discovered Monday after Lisa Guy failed to return to work after the holiday weekend, the News Sentinel reported.

An officer doing a welfare check initially found nothing amiss from outside the house, the paper said, but Lisa Guy’s coworkers were unconvinced that nothing was wrong. When police made a second pass at the home, an officer looking through a window spotted evidence of the violence that had taken place inside.

The couple’s son is accused of stabbing them to death and possibly torturing them before killing them, the News Sentinel reported. Their remains were found in multiple rooms of the home, which they had recently sold as part of their plan for retirement.

According to the Times News of Kingsport, Tennessee, the couple had bought the Hawkins County home of Joel Guy Sr.’s late mother and were two weeks away from moving in. Rene Charles, Guy Sr.’s sister, said that her brother, an engineer, had also recently been laid off.

It was not immediately clear if the change in his job status prompted the couple to talk to their son over the holiday about supporting himself.

“We were going to have Christmases together again,” Charles said. “We were just fixing to have all of us back together again.”

Charles expressed shock at the details of the deaths and what her nephew is accused of doing to his parents’ bodies.

“It’s one thing to stab someone, but to do everything that he did, to dismember his parents’ bodies?” Charles said.

MacLean said the solution used on the Guys’ bodies appeared to be composed of household chemicals and could be made using information available online. The Advocate reported that the chemicals included bleach, hydrogen peroxide, drain cleaner and sewer line cleaner.

The Sheriff’s Office said that the toxic fluid required biohazard equipment and hazardous materials experts to remove from the house.

Guy is being held in the East Baton Rouge Parish Jail on a fugitive warrant, pending extradition back to Tennessee. 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • Ford Motor Co. is recalling approximately 1.3 million 2015-2017 F-150 and 2017 Super Duty vehicles in North America. In a Wednesday news release, the company said a water shield needs to be added to door latches. Without the shield, the latches could freeze and cause the door to not close or open correctly.  >> Read more trending news “Should a customer be able to open and close the door with these conditions, the door may appear closed, but the latch may not fully engage the door striker with the potential that the door could open while driving, increasing the risk of injury,” Ford said. Reuters reported that Ford spokeswoman Elizabeth Weigandt said those who have the affected vehicles should get a notice next month. She did not have a time frame for when parts would be available, according to Reuters. “We take the safety of our customers very seriously. Our decisions are driven by the data available,” Weigandt said in an email to Forbes. “When the data indicates a safety recall is needed, we move quickly on behalf of our customers.” Dealers will inspect door latch actuation cables, which could be bent or kinked without the shields, and repair them at no cost if needed. Dealers will also install water shields over the door latches at no cost to the customer. The company said it is not aware of injuries or accidents tied to the issue. More information can be found at the Ford Motor Co. website.
  • It’s news that drivers have been waiting for. The Florida Department of Transportation says northbound lanes of the Overland Bridge are set to open by Saturday morning. They will shift traffic overnight, beginning Friday at 8PM, with the goal of opening the new lanes by 6AM Saturday, weather permitting.  Once the newly rebuilt lanes of the highway are open, that will be how drivers travel to get to the Fuller Warren and beyond. The lanes that currently carry I-95 northbound traffic will convert to serving as dedicated access for Downtown. The existing lanes will not reconnect to the new lanes at Downtown- it will drop all traffic off in Downtown. The FDOT will have new signage up to help drivers navigate the changes. The southbound lanes remain under construction. The FDOT says the overall project is slated for completion in early 2018.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is investigating after a double shooting at a Westside apartment complex. According to JSO, they were called to the La Casa Prima Apartments at 5521 Ricker Road Wednesday afternoon about a reported shooting.  They then found two victims, both in their early 30's. Police believe they're brother and sister.  Police say the suspect was seen fleeing the area in a vehicle, but they aren't releasing any description of the car or the suspect, due to the active investigation.  We're told there were witnesses and detectives are working to question them.  As for the victims, police describe their injuries as non-life threatening.
  • In wake of mounting sexual harassment and assault allegations against film producer Harvey Weinstein, Alyssa Milano tweeted a call to victims to share their stories.  “If you’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted write ‘me too’ as a reply to this tweet,” the actress wrote on Sunday. The hashtag spread far and wide, but Milano isn’t the originator of using the phrase to bring attention to these stories. That credit belongs to Tarana Burke, a New York-based sexual assault, abuse and exploitation activist. >> Read more trending news “It's not about a viral campaign for me,” Burke told CNN Tuesday. “It’s about a movement.” CNN reported that Burke began the movement -- the genesis of which happened in 1996 -- when she was a youth camp director and heard a young girl’s story of abuse. “For the next several minutes this child ... struggled to tell me about her ‘stepdaddy’ or rather her mother’s boyfriend who was doing all sorts of monstrous things to her developing body…” Burke wrote on the Just Be youth organization website. “I was horrified by her words, the emotions welling inside of me ran the gamut, and I listened until I literally could not take it anymore…which turned out to be less than 5 minutes. Then, right in the middle of her sharing her pain with me, I cut her off and immediately directed her to another female counselor who could ‘help her better...’ “I could not muster the energy to tell her that I understood, that I connected, that I could feel her pain,” she wrote, later adding, “I watched her put her mask back on and go back into the world like she was all alone and I couldn’t even bring myself to whisper…me too.” Burke told CNN she began the movement to help young women of color who survived sexual exploitation, abuse and assault.  “It started with young people and I quickly realized adults needed it too,” she said. “When you experience trauma and meet other people that have a similar experience, and you show empathy for each other, it creates a bond.” As of Wednesday, #MeToo continues to be tweeted and shared on other social media spaces, including Facebook and Instagram.  “Somebody asked me, does this (campaign) amplify your work? And it does in a certain way, but also when this hashtag dies down, and people thinking about it, I'll still be doing the work,” Burke told the Los Angeles Times on Monday.  “I think the viral moment is great but the amplification of that -- I worry about disclosing their status as survivors en masse on social media and not having space to process,” she told CNN. “I worry about survivors coming on to social media and being bombarded with messages of ‘me too.” By Monday, Milano tweeted that she was made aware of the origin of the movement. “(T)he origin story is equal parts heartbreaking and inspiring,” she wrote with a link to the Just Be website. Before then, some were critical, Ebony magazine reported. To a number of women of color on Twitter, Milano’s elevation of #MeToo and the day-long Twitter boycott following Rose McGowan’s temporary account deactivation ignored the fact that black women and other women of color are excluded from conversations.  “Where was the boycott when actress and comedian Leslie Jones was harassed by trolls to the point of deleting her account for months?” writer Ashley C. Ford wrote in a Refinery29 essay. “I think that women of color use social media to make our voices heard with or without the amplification of White women,” Burke told Ebony. “I also think that many times when White women want our support, they use an umbrella of ‘women supporting women’ and forget that they didn’t lend the same kind of support.” “I don’t think it was intentional but somehow sisters still managed to get diminished or erased in these situations,” she added. “A slew of people raised their voices so that that didn’t happen.”
  • Nassau County Emergency Management says they’ve received several reports of people claiming to be with FEMA, trying to scam residents. We’re told letters that claim to be about applications for disaster benefits are being sent out. Nassau County Emergency Management says you can tell letters are fraudulent if there is any request for money or payment information. Federal and state workers do not ask for or accept money, including for disaster assistance applications, home inspections, or assistance with disaster relief. Emergency Management says you should not respond to any correspondence asking you for debit or credit card information or claiming benefits will be issued on Green Dot Cards. They’re also warning that there is no shortcut to speeding up insurance, disaster assistance, or building permits, so you should not fall for anything promising that. If you suspect fraud, you’re asked to report it to the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721 or disaster@leo.gov. You can also report it to the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov. Florida also has a disaster fraud hotline at 1-855-352-7233. Additionally, suspected fraud or criminal activity can be reported to the Nassau County Sheriff’s Office at 904-548-4009.

The Latest News Videos