ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

clear-night
59°
Sunny
H 73° L 57°
  • clear-night
    59°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 73° L 57°
  • clear-day
    76°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 73° L 57°
  • clear-night
    70°
    Evening
    Clear. H 79° L 63°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Police say boy who crashed car near Trump's Mar-a-Lago was suicidal
Close

Police say boy who crashed car near Trump's Mar-a-Lago was suicidal

Photo Credit: Daily News Staff Writer
File photo of Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office directing traffic on Southern Boulevard near Mar-a-Lago. (Meghan McCarthy / Daily News)

Police say boy who crashed car near Trump's Mar-a-Lago was suicidal

A teenager who ran into a fence four blocks from Mar-a-Lago just before President Donald Trump arrived Friday evening was attempting suicide and previously called in terrorist threats to CNN, according to Palm Beach, Florida, police.

>> Read more trending stories

The boy, whose name was redacted from a police report because of his age, was reported as a missing suicidal teen, armed and dangerous with a baseball bat and a metal pipe. According to the report, officers found the bat and pipe in the white Dodge Charger belonging to his mother after the teen crashed it into a construction fence shortly before 6:50 p.m. in Palm Beach.

Trump's motorcade arrived at Mar-a-Lago about 7:10 p.m. The report didn't mention Trump's arrival, or whether the Secret Service considered the teen to be a credible threat to the president.

The boy was apprehended by a Palm Beach County Sheriff's deputy after he backed into a fence on Via Palma, which is within the Secret Service-mandated restricted zone around Mar-a-Lago, the report said. He told officers he ran into the fence while turning around to try to drive into the Intracoastal Waterway and kill himself, according to the report.

>> Related: Trump invites supporters to Mar-a-Lago to say ‘thank you’

The report said the teen drove past two security checkpoints "at a high rate of speed" in the 800 block of South County Road, just north of its intersection with South Ocean Boulevard. That area is restricted to ID-carrying residents only.

The boy was interviewed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation after, the report said, he and a few friends pretended to be refugees in January and prank-called CNN. Federal agents contacted the boy's mother to set up an interview, according to the report, and they later met with an agent. It wasn't clear when he was interviewed. The teen told police that the agent told him being "interviewed by the FBI in reference to terrorism" would be on his "permanent record."

>> Related: Mar-a-Lago dinner: House Oversight chair probes security

"(The boy) stated that he thought his 'life was over' and would never get accepted to a college or acquire a decent job," the report said. "(He) stated he then went home and attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself with a firearm."

When he couldn't find bullets, the report said, the boy took his mother's Charger, which he drove in excess of 110 mph on Northlake Boulevard and on Interstate 95 "in hopes to crash into another vehicle to kill himself."

Police said witnesses called 911 when they saw the Charger traveling at about 80 mph down South County Road in Palm Beach.

The report said he hit a traffic sign and ran at least two red lights in Midtown while heading south toward the restricted zone.

The investigation was turned over to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, according to the report. The sheriff's office on Saturday said the boy was given a traffic citation and was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation at the JFK North/West Palm Behavioral Health center in West Palm Beach.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said a boy died Friday night after becoming tangled in chains on a swing at a park in Northwest Jacksonville. #JSO is working a death investigation of a child in the 8700 Sibbald Rd. Media will be addressed at 9pm at Sibbald Rd and Archery Ave.— Jax Sheriff's Office (@JSOPIO) November 18, 2017 Officers responded at 6:15 p.m. to Charles 'Boobie' Clark Park on Sibbald Road, where they found an unresponsive 10-year-old boy. A mother of four children walked with her kids to play at the park. The 10-year-old boy was standing on the swing, police said. When the mother looked back at the boy, she saw the chains of the swing wrapped around the child's neck. 10 year old child at the park was on a swing when he got entangled in the chains and they wrapped around his neck. Child died at the hospital. At this time, the death is being investigated as a tragic accident and foul play is not suspected. https://t.co/lCOrhRPBGd — Jax Sheriff's Office (@JSOPIO) November 18, 2017 The boy was brought to UF Health Jacksonville, where he died from his injuries. The child's mother and other children are being questioned, but police said no foul play is suspected and the incident is being called a tragic accident by JSO. Refresh this page, follow @ActionNewsJax on Twitter and watch FOX30 Action News Jax at 10 for updates. HAPPENING NOW: #JSO investigating a death reported off 8700 Sibbald Rd. @ActionNewsJax crew is headed to scene. pic.twitter.com/2V2qCkexVU — Tenikka Smith Hughes (@TenikkaANjax) November 18, 2017 #BREAKING: JSO is working a death investigation of a child on Sibbald Rd. I'm headed to the scene @ActionNewsJax — Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) November 18, 2017 JSO says 10 year old got tangled in chains on swing & died. No foul play is suspected. Police call it a 'tragic accident' pic.twitter.com/EwQi7tNOQ9 — Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) November 18, 2017 Police say mother was at park with 4 kids and she looked away for a second when she turned around her child was unconscious on the swing. Taken to UF health where child pronounced dead @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/I5AMOBAdlz — Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) November 18, 2017 Police say mother was at park with 4 kids and she looked away for a second when she turned around her child was unconscious on the swing. Taken to UF health where child pronounced dead @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/I5AMOBAdlz — Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) November 18, 2017
  • Update (Friday, November 17) President Donald Trump said in a tweet Friday he’s delaying a new policy allowing the body parts of African elephants shot for sport to be imported until he can review “all conservation facts.” The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Thursday that it will allow the importation of body parts from African elephants shot for sport. The agency said encouraging wealthy big-game hunters to kill the threatened species would help raise money for conservation programs. Animal rights advocates and environmental groups criticized the decision. On Friday, the Republican chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee urged the administration to reverse the policy, calling it the “wrong move at the wrong time.” Trump said that the policy had been “under study for years.” He says he will review the issue with Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke. Earlier The Trump administration plans to lift a ban on Friday that barred big game hunters from bringing trophies from elephants killed in a pair of African nations to America, according to multiple reports. >> Read more trending news A spokesperson for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service told ABC News in a statement Wednesday that the decision was made after officials in Zimbabwe and Zambia provided them with information to support a reversal of the ban. 'Legal, well-regulated sport hunting as part of a sound management program can benefit the conservation of certain species by providing incentives to local communities to conserve the species and by putting much-needed revenue back into conservation,' the spokesperson told ABC News. The decision will overturn a 2014 ban implemented by President Barack Obama’s administration in response to falling elephant populations.  African elephants are listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. A provision in the act, however, allows for the government to give permits that let people import trophies from such animals if evidence shows that hunting them helps conservation efforts, according to NBC News. The rule reversal will apply to elephants hunted in Zimbabwe from Jan. 21, 2016, to Dec. 31, 2018, the news station reported. It will also apply to elephants killed in Zambia in 2016, 2017 and 2018 and “applications that meet all other applicable permitting requirements,” a Fish and Wildlife spokesperson told NBC News. According to the 2016 Great Elephant Census, Savanna elephant populations fell by 30 percent between 2007 and 2014. About 352,000 elephants were spotted during the survey, 82,300 in Zimbabwe and 21,700 in Zambia. Both countries had areas that saw substantial declines in elephant populations along the Zambezi river in Zambia and in Zimbabwe’s Sebungwe region, according to the census. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The 45th American Music Awards ceremony is set for Sunday in Los Angeles, and if the past is any indication, you can expect a night with a few surprising moments.  Remember Garth Brooks declining the award, or the time Pat Boone dressed in leather? Yeah, it’s likely to be that kind of night. The show will be broadcast live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. Here’s what you need to know about the show. What time: The show begins at 8 p.m. ET What channel: The AMAs will be broadcast live on ABC. Who is hosting: Tracee Ellis Ross, star of “black-ish,” is hosting. What about a pre-show: What would a music awards show be without a pre-show? AJ Gibson, Marc Malkin, Laura Marano and Oliver Trevena will host the official pre-show, “AMAs Red Carpet Live presented by Security Benefit.” The two-hour pre-show will stream live from the Microsoft Theater beginning at 6 p.m. ET. You can watch the show on Twitter. Find it here. live.twitter.com/amas or via @AMAs. You can also watch “E! Live from the Red Carpet” from 6-8 p.m. ET. on the E! Network. Who has the most nominations: Bruno Mars has the most nominations this year – eight. Who is nominated for Artist of the Year: The Chainsmokers, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran are up for the award. Who is up for Video of the Year: Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee ('Despacito'), Bruno Mars ('That's What I Like') and Ed Sheeran ('Shape of You') are the nominees. For a complete list of nominees, click here. Who is performing: Here is a list of those scheduled to perform: Alessia Cara Alesso BTS Christina Aguilera  Kelly Clarkson  Florida Georgia Line Niall Horan Selena Gomez Imagine Dragons Lady Gaga Nick Jonas Khalid Demi Lovato  Shawn Mendes P!nk Portugal. The Man Diana Ross Hailee Steinfeld watt Zedd Anything special: Diana Ross, mother of host Tracee Ellis Ross, is both performing and receiving a lifetime achievement award.
  • A New Jersey man was stabbed to death in his home Tuesday night when he tried to defend his 8-year-old son from a group of teens trying to steal the boy’s sneakers, according to family. Jose “Migue” Malave, 30, of Jersey City, was stabbed around 7 p.m. at his home, according to the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office. He was pronounced dead about 25 minutes later at the scene.  A 17-year-old boy was arrested at the scene and charged as a juvenile, prosecutors said. The unidentified teen is charged with murder, felony murder, armed burglary, conspiracy and multiple weapons charges.  A second suspect, Nasiar Day, 19, of Newark, was taken into custody Thursday, NJ.com reported. Day is also charged with murder, felony murder, armed burglary, weapons charges and conspiracy.  NJ.com reported that Malave died in front of his girlfriend and four of his 11 children. Malave had just returned home to drop off his son before heading to his construction job.  Responding police officers found him lying in a “lifeless state” in the doorway of the family’s apartment, prosecutors said.  Malave’s 8-year-old son had reportedly been targeted earlier in the day by a group of teens who tried to steal his sneakers. The teens later went to the boy’s home because they assumed he had other nice belongings, Jose Malave’s sister, Yesenia Malave, told NJ.com. >> Read more trending news Yesenia Malave described her brother as a man who always tried to brighten people’s days. “He was always outgoing, always happy, always trying to help people,” she said. “You could be down and he was the one who could bring your life up.” In a Facebook post on Thursday, the grieving sister said she could not adequately express her grief.  “I wish I would have one more day with my little brother to tell him I love him,” Yesenia Malave wrote. “I miss his 3 a.m. call; (who’s) going to call me now?” Friends and family members have established crowdfunding pages to help the Malave family with funeral arrangements and to help financially support Jose Malave’s children. Petitions have also been established to urge prosecutors to charge both suspects as adults in the slaying.
  • A food server at a Pittsburgh hospital is accused of exposing himself in front of a patient.  Police said Michael Booker, 37, a dietary server at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Mercy, approached the female patient at the walking bridge that joins the parking garage and the hospital.  >> Read more trending news WPXI reported that the woman told investigators Booker approached her, said something vulgar and started fondling himself.  Booker is facing charges that include open lewdness. Officials said he has since been terminated from his position as a server.  Booker faces a preliminary hearing next month.

The Latest News Videos