ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
85°
Broken Clouds
H 87° L 64°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    85°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 87° L 64°
  • clear-night
    65°
    Morning
    Clear. H 87° L 64°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    83°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 88° L 66°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Sandy Hook charity missing $70k in donations
Close

Sandy Hook charity missing $70k in donations

Sandy Hook charity missing $70k in donations
sandy hook

Sandy Hook charity missing $70k in donations

The co-founder of a charity founded after the deadly Sandy Hook shootings has made a shocking discovery.

"A charity formed for victims of Sandy Hook says the group is missing $70,000." (Via KSTP)

According to Sky News, one of the co-founders of the 26.4.26 Foundation, Ryan Graney, says only about $30,000 of the $103,000 collected during a marathon had been used.

That $30,000 was reportedly presented last year by another co-founder, Robbie Bruce, to the nonprofit NYA — a youth sports center in Newtown, Connecticut. (Via KDFW)

Although there's no hard evidence, according to WBZ-TV, Graney has a theory about where it might be.

"The co-founder believes her partner who handled the finances took the rest and has not been heard from since." ​(Via WBZ-TV)

WVIT reports that partner is reportedly an endurance athlete whose whereabouts are currently unknown by his fellow partners and the press.

The 26.4.26 Foundation was founded in Nashville to raise money for those involved in the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook on Dec. 14, 2012 that claimed the lives of 20 children and six teachers. (Via Facebook / 26.4.26)

But after news of the missing money broke, the charity announced it has permanently stopped fundraising efforts via a post on its Facebook page. (Via Facebook / 26.4.26)

Graney says she notified the FBI and the Tennessee attorney general's office about the missing funds in September after Bruce was unable to explain where it went. Bruce has not responded to calls from several media outlets.

- See more at Newsy.com

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • A suspicious odor on a Duval County school bus leads the driver to pull over, ultimately leading to that driver and seven children being taken to the hospital. The Duval County School District says the bus was transporting 16 students from Grasp Academy and Fort Carolina Middle School when the odor was detected. The driver pulled over in the Hogan’s Creek area and contacted dispatch.  Jacksonville Fire and Rescue transported seven children and the driver to the hospital as a precaution, but all are said to be in good condition.  JFRD suspected carbon monoxide, but when they tested there was nothing abnormal at the scene. DCPS says they believe a general cleaning product used to wipe down bus seats may have caused the children to feel ill.
  • A North Carolina county could be in major violation of HIPPA laws after mistakenly releasing hundreds of patients’ private medical records to a Charlotte TV station that was investigating a medical story. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPPA, was enacted in 1996 to ensure patient privacy rights. >> Read more trending news Mecklenburg County manager Dena Diorio revealed Tuesday afternoon that the county mistakenly released the private medical records of some 1,200 patients to the media. The county attorney confirmed patient health information was compromised.  'I'm absolutely speechless with anger at how something like this could happen,' Diorio said. Channel 9 had requested public records related to the county's failure to notify nearly 200 women about abnormal Pap smear results.  While WSOC-TV received that information Monday, the county also mistakenly included detailed medical history about hundreds of patients. The information included an Excel spreadsheets documenting the patients’ full names, addresses and dates of visits.  For some patients it also included a detailed description of why they visited and what services they received. Diorio said the information should not have been in spreadsheets in the email and the practice of putting medical information in Excel sheets will end immediately. Diorio said she believes the release is a category 2 HIPAA violation with a minimum fine of $1,000 per violation up to $50,000. A county worker collected the records Tuesday morning from WSOC.  “We do everything we can to protect the personal information for all of our patients,” Mecklenburg County Manager Dena Diorio said. “In this particular instance, the checks and balances were not completely followed and we had a lapse.' Diorio said an IT staffer mistakenly included the information in the public records request. She also said no one checked the file before it was released. >> Got a question about the news? See our explainers here “This was a person who works in our IT security area so it’s not as if everybody has access to this information,” she said. It’s unclear if the hundreds of patients will be notified about the information leak. Diorio is planning to discuss the next steps with the county attorney on Tuesday.   >> Click here to read the full story.
  • Days after a child was kidnapped from Elite Academy Inc., the Memphis, Tennessee, day care has closed its doors for good. >> Read more trending news A Department of Human Services spokesperson said an investigation into the day care is ongoing, but the owner voluntarily shut down the business. The closure is permanent. Related: Mother speaks out after 7-month-old is kidnapped from day care On Thursday, 7-month-old A’Laleh Fentress was checked out from her day care by 18-year-old Mya Lakes. Lakes is charged with especially aggravated kidnapping and child abuse/neglect. Her bail is $100,000. A’Laleh’s mother said Lakes saw her name on a document at the day care and used it to check out the child. The 7-month-old’s mother called police from the day care when she came to pick her baby up that evening. A’Laleh was later found safe at Annie’s Place in Frayser. Related: Memphis day care at center of kidnapping had no previous violations Elite Academy Inc. has been inspected by the DHS at least eight times since it opened in August 2016. According to the government database, the day care was never cited for violations.
  • Nearly 9 months after a shooting in Northwest Jacksonville claimed the lives of Demetrius Robinson, 31, and Jennie Hawley, 34, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office has made an arrest.   Gerrod Wilson, 23, is now in police custody after the Criminal Apprehension Unit located him Monday.   Wilson is charged with murder and possessing a firearm as a convicted felon in connection to the July 1st, 2016 shooting on Dekle Avenue.  Wilson's girlfriend, Charity Coleman, 24, was also arrested and she's charged for being an accessory after the fact, which is a first degree felony charge.   JSO says Coleman was arrested for that same offense back in February, when detectives say they discovered she was harboring Wilson in her apartment.   We’re told the arrests were a collaborative effort involving everyone from patrol and enforcement to the Department of Investigations and Homeland Security.
  • At the request of four Democrats in the Congress, the Government Accountability Office has agreed to formally review how much money the feds spend, and what security precautions are taken, when President Donald Trump takes a weekend away at his Mar-a-Lago retreat in Palm Beach, Florida. The request for a GAO review came from three Democratic Senators and one House member – the GAO says it will “review security and site-related travel expenses related to the President’s stays outside the White House at Mar-a-Lago. The lawmakers who made the request were Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Sen. Tom Udall (D-NM), Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), and Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD). On 2/16, @RepCummings @SenWarren @SenWhitehouse & I wrote @USGAO & asked they review Mar-a-Lago security procedures & taxpayer funded travel — Tom Udall (@SenatorTomUdall) March 28, 2017 This is not new territory for the GAO, which from time to time is asked by one party or the other to review the costs of travel. When the White House was under the control of Democrats, Republicans a few years ago were the ones asking about costs – as they had the GAO look at a February 15-18, 2013 trip made by President Barack Obama. In that review, the GAO estimated that an official speech in Illinois, followed by a golf weekend in Florida, cost about $3.6 million. This GAO report will look at more than just the cost of the weekend trips to Trump’s resort in Mar-a-Lago, as it will also review security matters there. (CBSMiami/AP) — A government watchdog will investigate the taxpayer-funded travel costs of President Donald Trump’s trips to Mar-a-lago. — Liz Quirantes (@lizquirantes) March 28, 2017 Democrats raised those concerns during a trip that Mr. Trump took with the Japanese Prime Minister, when the two men were seen with aides in a public dining area, speaking about a developing national security issue with regards to North Korea. One question from the four Democrats centers on whether those who are at the Trump club have gone through normal security and clearance procedures, including any foreign nationals who might be there. White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer has downplayed the costs of the Mar-a-Lago visits, saying that’s ‘part of being President.’ “That is a vast reach,” Spicer told one reporter, who cast the question of the cost of the Mar-a-Lago visits, versus proposed cuts in the federal budget. Before he became President, Mr. Trump often criticized his predecessor for taking weekend golf trips to Florida and other parts of the country. While our wonderful president was out playing golf all day, the TSA is falling apart, just like our government! Airports a total disaster! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 21, 2016 The GAO will now be in charge of determining how much Mr. Trump’s own weekend getaways are costing taxpayers.

The Latest News Videos