It has already happened several times this summer — parents leaving their kids in hot cars, with tragic results.
It happened most recently in El Paso, Texas. Last weekend, a 2-year-old girl was left inside a hot car. Family members called 911 after finding the girl inside the car, but it was too late. The girl was pronounced dead at the hospital. (Via KFOX)
And in metro Atlanta, a father gained national attention after leaving his 22-month-old son in a hot car, leading to his death. That father is currently awaiting trial. (Via WSB-TV)
Now, many are wondering what can be done about the problem that has made plenty of headlines this year.
"Cracking the window doesn't really help, and the interior of the car can heat up 19 degrees in just 10 minutes. They can reach deadly temperatures very quickly," WJXT reported.
But making it illegal doesn't prevent people from accidentally leaving their children in the car. Many have turned to technology to help but most of what's on the market right now has gotten mixed reviews at best.
There's one system that sends a reminder to parents if they move more than 15 feet away from a child buckled into a car seat. (Via Amazon)
Then there is the First Years True Fit IAlert Car Seat that sends push notifications and text messages to a smartphone if a child is left unattended in the car or becomes unbuckled.
But several reviews on Amazon complain that the device is inconsistent at sending notifications on time, if it all.
A 2012 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report called the products which were on the market at the time "unreliable in their performance."
The lead author told CBS that she hopes car manufacturers will develop and install systems that detect if anyone is still breathing or moving in a parked car.
CNN reports some are calling for government regulations to require these types of warning systems but others are saying it's silly to require regulation to make up for irresponsible parenting.
According to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, an average of 38 kids die of heatstroke while in cars each year.