ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
51°
Clear
H 74° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    51°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 74° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    73°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 74° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    70°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 74° L 61°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Unpacking Obama's no strategy comment on combating ISIS

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

In a press conference Thursday afternoon, President Barack Obama said he was sending Secretary of State John Kerry to the Middle East to try to form a coalition to combat the militant group ISIS.

But he also made a rather blunt admission that more or less confirmed a lot of what his critics have been saying over the past few weeks.

Obama said, "I don't want to put the cart before the horse. We don't have a strategy yet."

Yes, the president said there's no strategy for dealing with ISIS in Syria. Journalists, lawmakers and pundits all jumped on the quote.

>> Read more trending stories  

Karl Rove said on Fox News, "That's astonishing. … Today, I was appalled. I was appalled."

Barbara Starr of CNN reported "Let's be very clear: ISIS heard all of this."

Administration spokespeople quickly tried to backtrack, claiming there is a comprehensive strategy. 

Department of State spokesperson Jen Psaki said during a CNN interview, "The president has already begun implementing his strategy to defeat ISIL."

And i​f we want to be charitable to the president, there does seem to be a plan, at least in Iraq: use the deteriorating situation to pressure the Iraqi government to get its act together.

Obama and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel have said over and over that dealing with ISIS is an Iraqi responsibility.

U.S. involvement has been dangled like a carrot in front of Iraq's leaders to try to pressure them into putting aside rivalries and focusing on the threat at hand. (Video via Al-Baghdadia)

"This cancer that has developed is one that they have to be just as invested in defeating as we are," Obama said

But even assuming that's the case — that Obama wants to expand his Iraq strategy to the whole region — let's remember, few people are happy with his Iraq strategy in the first place.

House Speaker John Boehner called the decision to launch targeted airstrikes in Iraq "parochial thinking" and said, "Like many Americans, I am dismayed by the ongoing absence of a strategy for countering the grave threat ISIS poses to the region."

Columnists have called the strategy "wishful thinking" and said, "He has yet to articulate a detailed and systemic strategy for rolling back ISIS' gains in the region."

And as more stories come out about ISIS, from the murder of American journalist James Foley to the news that as many as 100 Americans might be fighting for the group to the mass execution of 250 Syrian soldiers, it may increasingly look to the public that Obama just isn't doing enough.

U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, said on CBS, "If we don't deal with this threat now thoroughly and convincingly, it's going to come home to roost."

Read more at newsy.com.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • The Hawaii federal judge who ruled against President Donald Trump's revised travel ban has been the target of threatening messages, according to the FBI. >> Read more trending news U.S. District Judge Derrick Watson's ruling last week resulted in a temporary restraining order nationwide, CNN reported — hours before the revised travel ban was set to go into effect. In the 43-page ruling, Watson ruled that the state of Hawaii had established 'a strong likelihood of success' on their claims of religious discrimination, CNN reported. Watson, who presides in Honolulu, has received threatening messages since the ruling. FBI spokeswoman Michele Ernst said the agency is aware of the situation and prepared to assist. The FBI declined to provide additional details on the investigation. The U.S. Marshals Service, which is spearheading the investigation, said it does not discuss specific security measures. 'The U.S. Marshals Service is responsible for the protection of federal judicial officials, including judges and prosecutors, and we take that responsibility very seriously,' it said in a statement. 'While we do not discuss our specific security measures, we continuously review the security measures in place for all federal judges and take appropriate steps to provide additional protection when it is warranted.' Trump decried Watson's ruling during a rally in Nashville, Tennessee, last week. 'This is, in the opinion of many, an unprecedented judicial overreach,' Trump said. Watson's ruling, which applies nationwide, means people from six Muslim-majority countries and refugees will be able to travel to the United States. The countries were Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen. 'The illogic of the government's contentions is palpable. The notion that one can demonstrate animus toward any group of people only by targeting all of them at once is fundamentally flawed,' Watson wrote.
  • A man walked into a Michigan restaurant Tuesday, waving knives at customers and ordering them to leave, WJBK reported. >> Read more trending news The 26-year-old man walked into the Mexican Fiesta restaurant in Dearborn Heights and threatened customers, witnesses told WJBK. 'He was really loud, and excuse my language, (he said) everybody get the (expletive) out,' Jacob Latigo said. Latigo and his wife recorded cell phone video of the incident Tuesday evening, showing the man shirtless at the bar counter. 'He said he wanted a beer,' Latigo told WJBK. 'They said ‘we weren't going to serve you’ and it looks like he got more agitated. So he put these knives in his fingers and started waving them around.' 'He had like six of them,' another witness, Sally Hanf, told WJBK. The man also had cooking grease all over his body. Dearborn Heights Police arrived and had to use a Taser gun on the man in order to arrest him, WXYZ reported.  
  • An 83-year-old New York man checked himself out of a hospital in the middle of the night Tuesday and then allegedly stole an ambulance to get home, WNBC reported. >> Read more trending news Donald Winkler of Merrick reportedly was unhappy with the treatment he had received after being admitted to Nassau University Medical Center last week, so at 1 a.m. Tuesday he checked himself out. After leaving the emergency room and walking into the parking lot, Winkler noticed an ambulance with the keys in the ignition, got in and drove away, according to the Nassau County Police Department. Police found Winkler at an area 7-Eleven and reported that he admitted he had stolen the ambulance. Police then arrested Winkler, WNBC reported. After being taken back to Nassau University Medical Center for evaluation and treatment, Winkler was arraigned at his bedside on a charge of second-degree grand larceny. Neighbors said they took Winkler to see a doctor because he has heart issues and was having trouble breathing. Winkler's family advised him not to drive the car parked at his home, but he ignored their concerns because he cherishes his independence, WNBC reported. 'He's not supposed to be driving,' a neighbor named Marie told WNBC. 'There's a car in the driveway, but his children told me they told him, do not drive. I guess he wanted to get home that bad.' Authorities said the medic who left the ambulance with the keys in the ignition will be held responsible but that it is common to leave the vehicle running after dropping off a patient.
  • A new study suggests that millennials in South Florida live with their parents at a higher rate than anywhere else in the country. >> Read more trending news  The study conducted by Abodo found that 44.8 percent of millennials in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area still live with their parents. That’s the highest percentage among the 40 metropolitan areas looked at by the study, and above the national average of 34.1 percent. According to Abodo, the finding represents the first time in 130 years that people in the 18-to-34-year-old range are more likely to live with their parents than any other situation, including cohabiting with a spouse, living alone and living with roommates. Despite the stigma, millennials may have a good reason for living under their parents’ roof. If millennials living at home in South Florida were to move out, U.S. Census Bureau data indicates that they would spend more than 90 percent on their monthly income on rent. Millennials from six other metropolitan area would also spend more than 90 percent of their income on rent. In the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria area, millennials who would pay 110 percent of their income on rent. The study found that millennials living at home have a median monthly income of $1,121, which falls well below the $2,023 median monthly income of all millennials. Read more at Abodo.
  • A North Dakota church recently bought by a self-proclaimed white supremacist has burned to the ground, KVRR reported. >> Read more trending news  The Attorney General’s office said there isn’t any new information to release, but Craig Cobb said he knows the fire was set intentionally and believes it was a hate crime. “I was going to turn it over to the creativity movement with a stipulation that that branch of the church be called the Donald J. Trump. … President Donald J. Trump, Creativity Church of Rome, not Nome, Rome,” Cobb told KVRR. “A little play on history there, you see.” Cobb said he had big plans for the church, formerly known as Nome Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. “I absolutely would have if they would have given me half a chance, which the hater did not by burning down my property,” Cobb told KVRR. “An arsonist did it, of course. That’s all, an arsonist, it’s really simple.” Cobb was in Sherwood, North Dakota, when he received an email from an attorney about his destroyed property. “I just want to insert that it’s a terroristic attack,” Cobb told KVRR. “I’m going to ask the DOJ and the FBI to apply hate crime charges against them too.”  Cobb is offering an award of at least $2,000 to anyone with information that can lead to the responsible party. “I really want them caught, I really, really want them caught,” he told KVRR.

The Latest News Videos