ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
heavy-rain-night
76°
Cloudy
H 87° L 77°
  • heavy-rain-night
    76°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 87° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 87° L 77°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    82°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 87° L 77°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Video shows police raiding home over credit card fraud
Close

Video shows police raiding home over credit card fraud

Video shows police raiding home over credit card fraud
File photo

Video shows police raiding home over credit card fraud

A SWAT team was caught on camera in Des Moines raiding a home with weapons drawn — not on suspicion of a violent crime but of someone using stolen credit cards. Though the whole situation is proving a bit more complicated than that.

Home surveillance cameras show Iowa police using a battering ram to enter this house, overturning furniture and eventually destroying one of the cameras outside. Ultimately, police found none of the items listed on their warrant. (Via The Des Moines Register)

WHO-TV in Des Moines had the story first and spoke to the home's residents, Sally Prince and her son Justin Ross, who said he initially drew a weapon he legally owns before he realized the people in his home were police. He says the raid could have ended tragically.

ROSS: "I would've been standing there with my weapon drawn pointed at the doorway, and they probably would've shot me."

PRINCE: "The police are supposed to protect and serve, not make you afraid of them. And I'm totally terrified of them now."

>> Read more trending stories

Now, there's no sign officers broke any laws when carrying out this raid. Actually, one of the reasons this story has received so much attention is that the law provides so much leeway for the way police behave in these situations. For instance, take another look at the police entrance here — the time between them pounding on the side of the house and then battering the front door: certainly not enough time to let anyone answer the door peacefully. (Via WHO-TV)

Police are required to knock and announce that they are indeed police before entering to give residents time to respond and avoid property damage or injury. But as Radley Balko for The Washington Post writes, that announcement has largely become a formality for police. 

Balko, a civil liberties blogger, wrote Tuesday, "whether or not they’re governed by a formal policy, the use of these kinds of tactics for nonviolent crimes like credit card fraud is hardly unusual, and it’s happening more often, not less. I've reported on jurisdictions where all felony search warrants are now served with a SWAT team."

No one in the home was suspected of a violent crime, but in a news conference Wednesday, Ankeny police said they suspected one person in the home had a license for a firearm. (Via WOI-TV)

And, of course, they were right on that front. Ross did have a 9 mm — though it's legally owned. And he was recently honorably discharged from the U.S. military. But there's another wrinkle to this story that police are citing.

Two other people in the home staying with Prince and Ross were arrested on credit card fraud and other charges, one for violating probation, the other for drug possession. Richard Adair had been arrested for assault before, though the charges came more than 10 years ago.

Footage aired by KCCI in Des Moines shows the two suspects were in the home at the time of the raid and attempted to hide. Police have pointed to this as reason for the heavy-handed approach.

As for the hurried police entrance, the police chief at the news conference said his officers knocked for 10 to 12 seconds, though the video appears to contradict that. Either way the fact stands the full-blown raid was in response to a non-violent crime.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • With half of the debate completed in the U.S. Senate on a House-passed bill to overhaul the Obama health law, Republicans have yet to reveal the details of what may be the only GOP option that can get a majority of votes, a streamlined measure which would change only a few provisions of current health law. “I don’t know what the “skinny” repeal looks like,” said Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) to a group of reporters, as he acknowledged doing the bare minimum on health care might be about the only way to keep GOP options open on changes to Obamacare. “What you’re really voting on is to try to keep the discussions alive between the House and Senate,” Corker told reporters. Corker says 'content' of skinny bill not the point, rather it is 'forcing mechanism' for conference with House — Peter Sullivan (@PeterSullivan4) July 26, 2017 The way the “skinny” Republican option has been described in recent days is this: + Zero out the tax penalty on the individual mandate (note – this does not “repeal” the mandate – it just reduces the penalty to $0). + Zero out the employer mandate penalty + Repeal the medical device tax. But there were rumblings on Wednesday that the details of the plan would have to be fiddled with, leaving GOP Senators in the dark on what they might be voting on late on Thursday night, or Friday. McCain, with his usual sass, on where he's at with skinny repeal: 'It changes every hour, how can I judge it?' — Emma Loop (@LoopEmma) July 26, 2017 “I want to see what it says; I don’t know what it says – no one knows what it says yet,” Corker said. “All of this right now is procedural setup to get to an end that none of us are certain what it’s going to look like,” said Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA). “I’d rather comment when we see it actually formulated,” said Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) of the “skinny” Senate bill. Down at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue, President Trump was continuing to press GOP Senators for action, using his platform on Twitter to make one more direct appeal on Thursday morning. Come on Republican Senators, you can do it on Healthcare. After 7 years, this is your chance to shine! Don't let the American people down! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 27, 2017 But as the day began, it wasn’t clear whether there would be 50 Republican votes for any GOP health plan in the Senate – skinny or not. For seven years, many Republicans and conservative groups have pushed a story line that wasn’t completely true about the Congressional debate on the Obama health law – that few hearings were held, that the bill text was kept a secret until the bitter end, that the House and Senate votes were done in the middle of the night, and more. Having covered the legislative battle over the Obama health law, many of those criticisms weren’t entirely accurate – but the irony right now is that the GOP may be following a health care script in 2017 which mirrors many of their own complaints from 2009 and 2010.
  • Today, Governor Rick Scott announced that he will propose $30 million in pay raises for state law enforcement agencies. Last month, Governor Scott signed a bill to  provide a five percent pay raise for Florida’s law enforcement officers. This $30 million would double that investment and be used to reward current sworn state law enforcement officers and continue to attract qualified officers. “Our state law enforcement officers face danger every day, and they have protected our communities during some of our state’s most challenging times,” Scott said. “ I was proud to stand with the Florida Senate and Florida House this year to fight for the well-deserved five percent pay raise for sworn state law enforcement officers, but we cannot stop there. We must do everything we can to recognize our law enforcement and work to ensure that our state can recruit hard-working law enforcement officers to build on Florida’s 46-year crime low.” The Governor will announce his entire recommended budget before the beginning of next year’s legislative session. 
  • It's almost that time of the year again--- football season.   The Jacksonville Jaguars have announced their 2017 training camp schedule, which includes 10 practices open to the public.   The training camps kick off with three open sessions on Thursday, July 27, Friday, July 28 and Saturday, July 29. However, we're told Saturday’s practice on July 29, is open exclusively to Jags365 Season Ticket Members.   If you wish to attend the open sessions, which will take place at the practice fields adjacent to EverBank Field, you should register online at www.jaguars.com/trainingcamp.   The schedule includes the following dates:    Thursday, July 27                    Training Camp Practice                     10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.   Friday, July 28                  Training Camp Practice                    10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.   Saturday, July 29                     Training Camp Practice (open to Jags365 members only)                     6:30 – 9 p.m.   Monday, July 31              Training Camp Practice               10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.   Tuesday, August 1              Training Camp Practice               10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.   Wednesday, August 2            Training Camp Practice              10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.   Thursday, August 3             Training Camp Practice              10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.   Friday, August 4            Florida Blue Family Night Scrimmage at EverBank Field               6 – 8:30 p.m.            * Registration to open at a later date.   Monday, August 14          Joint practices with Buccaneers           10 a.m. – 1:05 p.m.   Tuesday, August 15           Joint practices with Buccaneers             10 a.m. – 1:05 p.m. For more information, visit jaguars.com.
  • One person is dead and seven others were injured after a ride malfunctioned at the Ohio State Fair on Wednesday. >> Ohio State Fair ride accident: 5 things to know about the Fire Ball ride The Associated Press reported that a swinging and spinning amusement park ride called the Fire Ball malfunctioned on the opening day of the fair. People were thrown into the air following the malfunction. At least seven people were injured. >> Read more trending news Battalion Chief Steve Martin, a Columbus Fire Division spokesman, said some or all of the victims were reported to have been thrown from the ride, according to The Columbus Dispatch. Martin told the AP that five of the seven people reported injured were in critical condition and two were in stable condition at area hospitals. The person who died, a man, was one of the people thrown when the malfunction occurred, Martin said. Ohio Gov. John Kasich said in a statement that he is “terribly saddened” about the accident and ordered fair rides were shut down pending additional safety inspections. The Ohio State Fair tweeted a statement about the incident early Thursday. The fair announced it will open gates at 9 a.m. Thursday, and other activities will resume as scheduled. 

The Latest News Videos