Surprisingly, a California woman stung more than 1,000 times by a swarm of bees is expected to be OK.
Firefighters say the unidentified 71-year-old woman was covered in a "suit of bees" when they arrived on scene. (Via KABC)
"The bees, about 75,000 of them, made a hive inside a fiber optic phone line utility box. You can see the honeycomb on the lid. Had to be rescued by having a blanket thrown over her head and taken inside by her neighbor." (Via KCBS)
At least five firefighters, one Verizon employee, and neighbors were also stung by the bees. The Desert Sun reports the five firefighters were taken to the hospital for their injuries, but are expected to be OK.
Authorities made a reverse 911 call to the area, telling everyone within 2 miles of the incident to stay indoors and away from the bees.
But, a Cal Fire Battalion Chief told ABC, this problem with bees seems to be growing. "In 20 years I've never been on a case like this ... In Southern California, we're starting to hear bees are becoming more prevalent in the area."
The bees are reportedly Africanized bees, or known more commonly as killer bees. As their name suggests, their stings can be fatal. (Via National Geographic)
One insect removal expert told ABC the phone box where the bees were found was supposed to be bee-proof and whoever serviced the box last may have improperly secured it.