Information from ABC News was used in this report
Days after 13-year-old Athena Orchard died from cancer, her family discovered a hidden 3,000-word message on the back of her mirror.
“Happiness depends on ourselves,” she wrote. “Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer, after discovering a tiny lump on her head in December, according to a statement. She died May 28 in the United Kingdom.
According to People magazine, Athena leaves behind six sisters and three brothers.
- Man pulled over by police with 5-year-old tied to motorcycle
- Man paints home to look like U.S. flag in response to code enforcement issue
- Huge airfare sale for late summer travel
- D-Day ship's flag among WWII artifacts up for sale
- Vets, visitors flock to Normandy to remember D-Day
- Disney 'Frozen' frenzy includes Norway tourism
- Photos: Remembering Ronald Reagan, 1911-2004
- Military jet crashes in residential neighborhood
- New York Times' Dowd gets high, freaks out, is mocked by Internet
- Obama's workout video prompts jokes and security concerns