ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
86°
Broken Clouds
H 86° L 65°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    86°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 86° L 65°
  • clear-night
    65°
    Morning
    Clear. H 86° L 65°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    84°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 86° L 68°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
85-year-old woman sexually assaulted during home invasion
Close

85-year-old woman sexually assaulted during home invasion

85-year-old woman sexually assaulted during home invasion
Photo Credit: KTVU.com Staff

85-year-old woman sexually assaulted during home invasion

A 15-year-old boy is being held in a Northern California juvenile detention facility and the search is on for a second alleged attacker after a violent home invasion robbery and sexual assault of an elderly woman in San Jose.

"Two suspects entered their home armed with weapons," said Officer Albert Morales with the San Jose Police Department.  "[The couple] were forced to the back of the house.  At some point the 85-year-old female was sexually assaulted."

Neighbors are still trying to understand how something so horrible could happen to the retired couple who's lived in the East San Jose home for more than 30 years.

"Right now I'm feeling so disgusted with the people that did this," said neighbor Angelica Grande.

Investigators say the suspects stole the couple's Chevy SUV and after being chased by the CHP on Highway 101, crashed the vehicle into a vacant home.

The 15-year-old boy was pinned in the passenger seat and was arrested.

The driver was able to run off.  Police describe him as Latino between the ages of 17 and 25, with a possible severe laceration.

Police say it appears to be a random attack.

The elderly woman was taken to the hospital and treated for her injuries.

Police are still seeing if they can gather enough information to create a sketch of the second suspect.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • He had been found incompetent to stand trial three times, but Joshua Goldberg may now be ready to face the federal terror-related charge he’s accused of. The Orange Park man was indicted in September 2015. Court documents claim Goldberg sent information on how to make a bomb to a person he believed was going to plant the bomb at a September 11th memorial event in Kansas City, Missouri. Goldberg’s instructions even included how to inflict the most damage with the device- like dipping shrapnel in rat poison- according to the indictment. The person speaking with Goldberg was actually a confidential informant.  Prosecutors say Goldberg admitted to giving the instructions, but he believed the person he was speaking with wasn’t going to follow through. The indictment says Goldberg planned to tell law enforcement if the device was actually planted, making himself a hero.  Goldberg was first ruled incompetent to stands trial in December 2015, then again in June and December 2016. He has been undergoing treatment at Federal Medical Center in Butner, NC for autism spectrum disorder and major depressive disorder. During a status hearing Wednesday, a competency report was presented in which doctors who have been treating Goldberg say he is now competent to stand trial.  A competency hearing must still be held where a judge will make a formal determination. Goldberg’s attorney, Paul Shorstein, tells WOKV News that he is unsure at this time whether he will dispute the doctor’s report. He plans to know more by the competency hearing.  The US Attorney’s Office confirms another status conference has been set for April 7th, at which time they will set a date for the competency hearing.  This is a developing story that will be updated in to the afternoon.
  • A Florida woman told authorities “Don’t worry about it” when police arrived to investigate a fatal shooting this week at an apartment building in Orlando. Paula Hobbs, 51, is accused in the shooting death of her 63-year-old live-in boyfriend Tuesday night. >> Read more trending news When police arrived at the scene at the Rosemont Country Club Apartments they found an unresponsive man and Hobbs standing in a stairwell, Orlando police spokeswoman Michelle Guido said. When the officer asked Hobbs what was going on, she said, “Don’t worry about it,” then locked herself in the apartment, according to a police report on the incident. Investigators said officers were eventually able to convince Hobbs to give herself up. Detectives searching the apartment for evidence found splattered blood and a .22-caliber revolver in the bottom drawer of a bedroom dresser, the arrest affidavit said. Investigators said they determined that five of the gun’s nine rounds had been fired. If you tell me he is dead, I will tell you why I did it,” Hobbs told police at the scene, the report said. Hobbs was booked into the Orange County Jail on a first-degree murder charges.
  • A Jacksonville man known as the “Riverside Rapist” for a string of violent, sexual assault crimes he committed in 1985, has been resentenced to life in prison. There will be a review hearing in ten years. “Based on the incredibly aggravating facts in these cases, we believe that life in prison is the only sentence that would adequately protect the community,” says a statement from Chief Assistant State Attorney L.E. Hutton. Robert Roberson, now 46, was sentenced to three consecutive life sentences without the opportunity for parole in 1986 but was granted a new sentencing hearing. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 2010 Graham v. Florida that a juvenile cannot be sentenced to life without parole for any crime other than homicide.  Roberson was found guilty burglary with an assault, sexual battery and unarmed robbery, after a court determined he broke into three Riverside homes and sexually assaulted three different women. He’s believed to be responsible for even more attacks. In one incident, Roberson told the victim that “white women were only good for having sex with and then killing,” according to court documents. In the two other incidents, Roberson threatened the women with a gun.  After each of the sexual assaults, Roberson forced the women to kneel before him and dress him.  The court also found that Roberson committed his crimes with “premeditation and calculation,” in one instance he broke into an empty home and waited for his victim. Roberson did not previously know any of his victims.  All three sexual assaults were committed between Dec. 14 and Dec. 29, 1985.
  • Officers opened fire on a woman on U.S. Capitol grounds Wednesday morning after she nearly ran over multiple U.S. Capitol Police officers while fleeing from a traffic stop, authorities said. >> Read more trending stories No injuries were reported. Officers spotted a woman driving erratically around 9 a.m. on Independence Avenue and attempted to stop her car, Capitol police spokeswoman Eva Malecki said. The unidentified woman made a U-turn and fled. She stopped the sedan near the intersection of Washington and Independence avenues, where authorities apparently fired shots at the woman. Malecki declined to say where the bullets landed or how many shots were fired. The incident did not appear to be related to terrorism. “This appears to be criminal in nature with no nexus to terrorism,” Malecki said.
  • Thousands of people have signed an online petition calling on Melania Trump to either move to Washington or start paying for the expensive New York security detail required to protect the first lady and the Trump’s son, Baron. >> Read more trending news As of Wednesday afternoon more than 200,000 people had signed a Change.org petition asking Melania Trump to either move into the White House or pay for the additional security herself, CBS News reported. “The U.S. taxpayer is paying an exorbitant amount of money to protect the First Lady in Trump Tower,” the petition reads. “As to help relieve the national debt, this expense yields no positive results for the nation and should be cut from being funded.”  The New York Police Department said it is spending between $127,000 and $146,000 a day to protect the first lady and Baron Trump. >> Related: First lady helps present courage award to 13 women The Trump administration announced before the transition that Melania Trump would remain at Trump Tower in New York until son, Baron, finished out the school year. Shelby Lin Erdman contributed to this report.

The Latest News Videos