ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day
76°
Partly Cloudy
H 93° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    76°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 93° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    90°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 93° L 78°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    84°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 93° L 78°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

News
A new name, now donors to cover the cost?
Close

A new name, now donors to cover the cost?

A new name, now donors to cover the cost?

A new name, now donors to cover the cost?

Nathan B Forrest High School is graduating its last class this spring and the schools' new name, Westside High, will begin in July.

That unanimous vote by the Duval County School Board on Tuesday night to change the name of the school has board members hoping to close a chapter of controversy and refocus the community on education.

The cost of changing all the sports equipment, school marquee and other branded areas is estimated at $400,000, and private donations may be sought to offset the cost.

“We should try to raise private dollars to do that. I don’t think it should be done at the taxpayers expense,” says Board Member Jason Fischer.

“The benefit of that (donors) is that we wouldn’t use District dollars,” says Superintendent Dr. Vitti.

No formal discussion has taken place among the board at this time, however. Vitti says that will likely take place at an upcoming workshop or meeting.  He says any remaining bill will not come from money that could have gone to the classroom, but instead from the District’s Capitol budget.

Students, faculty, alum and other stakeholders were given a choice between Westside High School, Firestone High School, and a write-in option. Westside and Firestone had been the frontrunners from when the same group was polled on whether the name should be changed. 

The survey results obtained by WOKV show 439 of the 751 students who voted favored Westside High School and 172 chose Firestone. West Duval and Valhalla were the two write-ins which garnered the most votes, 65 and 39 respectively.

“We’re not looking backwards, we’re moving forward,” says School Board member Constance Hall, whos district includes Forrest.

The change will be in effect by July 2014- the next school year.

 Last month, the school board voted unanimously to change the school’s name. The main reasons cited for their votes included a desire to move past the controversy the name continues to cause in the community and following the will of the students.

A movement to change the name started late last year over those in the community who were concerned about the history of Nathan Bedford Forrest, the school’s namesake. While his exact roles are disputed, he’s is believed to have been a Confederate General and KKK member or leader. The name has come under fire before, but a prior vote at the district level was against the change.

This time around, the Superintendent made his recommendation to change the name because a poll of current students showed a majority wanted change, even though nearly all alumni polled wanted to keep the name. Vitti says in his student-focused model for running the District, the students should get their voices heard.

Fischer, Hall, and Board Chair Becki Couch all tell me they are open to seeking private donors to help cover the bill- an idea first floated by Superintendent Nikolai Vitti who, ahead of the name change vote, told the board he had some donors who had shown an interest.

Supt. Vitti and the Board are unanimous in hoping that when the doors open to Westside High School in 2014 the community will unite behind the goal of higher education instead of divide over potential controversy.  One looming decision that will be made at the school level is over a potentially problematic mascot at the soon-too-be-Westside High- the Rebels. There is no plan at this time to change that, and Vitti says if there is a change it will involve students and the Principal, not the District.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • A mother was charged after she was accused of leaving her two young children locked in a car for nearly three hours Sunday night in Charlotte, North Carolina. >> Watch the news report here The 4- and 5-year-old girls had to be hospitalized. Millicia Middleton, 25, went before a judge Tuesday after being charged with child abuse. >> Waze traffic app includes feature to remind parents of children in car 'I live here so I wish I had seen it,” resident Vicki Butler said. “I mean, at least I could have got them, that hurts me. I'm sorry.' The girls were dehydrated by the time officers got them out of the car in the parking lot of new apartments on Samuel Street. >> Read more trending news 'That makes me so sad,” resident Shanna Henriques said. “How can you be a parent and just leave your kids in the car? What did they do? Forget about them or something?
  • David Garcia-Mendoza was drunk and high and wanted something for nothing on Oct. 1, 2016, when he climbed into a cab on Buford Highway. Luz Mariana Matheu, 43, was behind the wheel for OK Taxi that night in Chamblee. Garcia-Mendoza, 21 at the time, said he would pay her with drugs, which Matheu refused. >> Read more trending news  As they argued, the young man placed a gun to the woman’s head and forced her to drive, according to authorities. In a few moments, he pulled the trigger and ran away when the car crashed. But police found him hiding in a kudzu patch, and he’s now pleaded guilty to felony murder, kidnapping and aggravated assault, the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday. RELATED: Officials knew of no red flags before baby’s DeKalb hot car death RELATED: Cops: Before DeKalb killing, suspect said ‘You know what time it is’ RELATED: With everyone else, father of baby killed in hot car seeks answers “During a police interrogation,” DA’s spokeswoman Yvette Jones said, “the Defendant admitted being under the influence of drugs and alcohol and shooting the victim because she would not accept drugs as payment for his taxi ride.” Now 22, Garcia-Mendoza was sentenced to life plus five years in prison by Judge Gregory A. Adams.
  • WHBQ in Memphis, Tennessee, has uncovered new details in the Southaven, Mississippi, police shooting death of Ismael Lopez. Lopez was shot after police served a warrant at the wrong home. >> Watch the news report here A search warrant WHBQ obtained out of Tate County, Mississippi, showed the address on the warrant was across the street from Lopez’s home. Police came to the neighborhood for Samuel Pearman, who is wanted in Tate County and lived at 5878 Surry Lane. Deputies said an arrest warrant was issued for Pearman on a domestic aggravated assault charge after he allegedly choked a woman Sunday in front of her 4-year-old child at a Tate County gas station.  Neighbor Kimberly Shelby told WHBQ that Lopez’s death is on the hands of the Southaven Police Department after they served a warrant at the wrong home. 'You would think they would be over here trying to find him at the right address,” Shelby said. Shelby said police have been to Pearman’s home before.  >> Read more trending news 'I've called the police before ... so they have dealt with him before,” Shelby said. Lopez’s family said they have been advised by their lawyers to not make any more comments about the case on camera. Neighbors said they hope the law will hold the officers accountable for this deadly mistake.
  • An Arizona man is facing child abuse accusations after he allegedly stranded his 10-year-old daughter in a desert with no shoes or water. According to KSNV, Christopher Charles Watson, 28, of Kingman was arrested on one count of felony domestic child abuse after a woman called 911 on Saturday morning, claiming she had found a girl crying and walking by herself in the 91-degree heat. >> Read more trending news According to the victim, her father drove her out to the desert and forced her out of his truck following an argument, deputies said. She reportedly complained of a headache and a sore neck and added that she had hit her head on the truck while trying to open the door as her father sped off. Deputies said they also noticed a bite mark on her, and she told them her father had bitten her. She was taken to a nearby hospital where she was treated and later released, KVVU reported. Deputies said Watson smelled of alcohol when they arrived at his home and woke him from a nap. Deputies said the father claimed he and his daughter were arguing when he decided to take her for a ride in his truck, which he says has helped calm her down in the past. Watson reportedly told authorities that he had dropped her off without any water or shoes but said he returned home and waited only about 15 minutes before going back to get her. However, he said he was unable to find the girl when he returned to the desert. The Department of Child Safety has taken custody of both the victim and Watson’s 9-year-old son.

The Latest News Videos