A Clay County family is saved from their burning house, thanks to their working smoke detectors.
Fire rescue arrived at the home in the Orange Park Country Club just before 3:30 Thursday morning and quickly gained control of the fire.
"The homeowners actually had a working smoke detector," says Clay County Fire Chief Lorin Mock. "It awakened them to the smoke conditions in the home. They exited their bedroom and found a working fire in the living room area."
Mock says the couple told him the fire started in the fireplace area.
"They think a log rolled out of that fireplace and set the immediate area around that fireplace on fire, and that's how it started."
Chief Mock says because the house had a working smoke detector, the couple safely made it out of the house.
"They were able to gather the pets. . .They got out, the homeowner got out, and we were able to get in and successfully extinguish the fire."
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to put the fire out.