- Father’s touching photo request sparks action on Reddit
- 'Dead’ toddler wakes up at her own funeral
- Teen takes selfie with Paul McCartney, Warren Buffett
- Firefighters: Man tries to kill spider, sets house on fire instead
- Video shows shoppers smash windows to rescue kids in hot car
A pit bull named Ace is being hailed as a hero for licking the face of a deaf, sleeping 13-year-old Indianapolis boy to alert him the house was on fire.
Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith says Nick Lamb was home alone and sleeping without his hearing aids when the fire began Wednesday.
She says Ace licked Nick's licked his face until the boy awoke to find the house filing with smoke. The boy quickly covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt and fled the house without suffering any injuries.
"I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. ... My dog Ace smelled it," Lamb told the Indianapolis Star. "I just wanted to get out."
The boy told firefighters that this was the first summer he was old enough to stay home alone and that he had returned from summer camp just three days earlier.
"He was thankful that Ace entered his room and licked his face until he woke up," Reith said in a news release. "The boy quickly covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt and exited the rear of the house."
Firefighters estimated damage to the home at $175,000.
—The Associated Press contributed