TRAFFIC ALERT:

CONSTRUCTION I-95 SB off-ramp to Philips closed 

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
68°
Few Clouds
H 76° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    68°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 76° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    77°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 76° L 61°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    75°
    Evening
    Sunny. H 80° L 62°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

State & Regional Govt & Politics
Rubio opposes Syria attack but draws line between his position and rival Rand’s
Close

Rubio opposes Syria attack but draws line between his position and rival Rand’s

Rubio opposes Syria attack but draws line between his position and rival Rand’s
Photo Credit: CHRISTOPHER GREGORY
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), left, looks on as Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) makes a closing statement during a Senate Foreign Relations Committee meeting on Capitol Hill in Washington, Sept. 4, 2013. The committee on Wednesday approved an authorization of force against the Syrian government, setting up a showdown next week in the full Senate on whether President Barack Obama should have the authority to strike. Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), the committee's chairman, right. (Christopher Gregory/The New York Times)

Rubio opposes Syria attack but draws line between his position and rival Rand’s

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, potential rivals for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, both cast votes Wednesday against a resolution to authorize U.S. military strikes in Syria.

But Rubio immediately sought to distance himself from a growing non-interventionist movement in the GOP that counts the libertarian-leaning Paul among its leaders.

Paul has argued that the civil war in Syria has “no clear national security connection to the United States.”

But Rubio contended otherwise in a statement shortly after the Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 10-7 to send the Syria resolution to the full Senate.

“What is happening in Syria is a vital national security concern for the United States,” said Rubio. He said Syria is important to Iran and its ambitions to dominate the region and to supply Hezbollah with arms. Rubio called Syrian President Bashar Assad a “dangerous anti-American dictator.”

While criticizing Assad and his use of chemical weapons, Rubio said: “I remain unconvinced that the use of force proposed here will work. The only thing that will prevent Assad from using chemical weapons in the future is for the Syrian people to remove him from power.”

Rubio since 2011 has urged the U.S. to impose sanctions against the Assad government and to support elements working toward Assad’s removal.

“Had we forcefully engaged in empowering moderate rebels earlier in this conflict, today we would have more and better options before us,” Rubio said. “But instead, unfortunately, the president, with the support of some voices in my party, chose to let others lead instead and now we are dealing with the consequences of that inaction.”

Despite opposing the Syria resolution, Rubio said the U.S. cannot retreat from global involvement.

“There is a movement afoot in both parties to disengage the United States from issues throughout the world. And it is true that we cannot solve every crisis on this planet. But if we follow the advice of those who seek to disengage us from global issues, in the long run we will pay a terrible price,” Rubio said.

Echoing the American exceptionalism theme of his 2010 Senate candidacy, Rubio said: “We must recognize that the world is a safer place when America is the strongest country in the world. When America doesn’t lead, chaos follows. And eventually that chaos forces us to deal with these problems in the most expensive and in the most dangerous ways imaginable.”

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • For the second time in less than 24 hours, police have swarmed the Las Vegas Strip after at least one person was killed in a shooting near the Cosmopolitan hotel and casino. >> Related: Burglary at Bellagio Hotel and Casino prompts lockdown on Vegas strip Police said Saturday afternoon that the situation was not an active shooter situation.  The suspect peacefully surrendered around 6 p.m., according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. >> Read more trending news Around 11:30 a.m. Las Vegas police reported that they were investigating a shooting that occurred on South Las Vegas Boulevard. Authorities believed an individual who was on a bus that was traveling on the strip is responsible for the shooting. Police closed portions of the strip, and set up a staging area and a barricade. Guests at the Cosmopolitan resort were evacuated. Shortly after 11 a.m., KSNV reported that at least one victim of a shooting had been transported to University Medical Center trauma in unknown condition. At 1 p.m. Saturday, authorities reported a second victim had been killed. According to USA Today, police evacuated the nearby Cosmopolitan hotel and casino shortly after 1 p.m. “The shooting incident happened on the bus,” said Larry Hadfield, a spokesman with Las Vegas Metro police. “We had one single shooting incident with two victims. Both were transported to the trauma center and one is deceased.” Hadfield said police were negotiating with the suspect Saturday afternoon in an effort to take him into custody, USA Today reported. This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 
  • Las Vegas police are investigating a burglary at a retail store in the Bellagio Hotel and Casino after an incident that occurred overnight Friday, The Associated Press reported.  >> Read more trending news Police said Saturday they believe at least three people entered the store. It was not immediately clear what items were stolen. The store was closed at the time of the burglary.  Authorities said the suspects broke into a high-end jewelry and watch store, where they may have used sledgehammers to break into the shop's jewelry cases. A witness said she saw an armed burglar wearing a pig mask near a Rolex store. Authorities said they are reviewing surveillance tape, where they saw multiple suspects wearing “character masks,” ABC News reported. According to ABC News, the Bellagio was on lockdown for approximately a half-hour after the incident. Police initially thought at least one of the theives may have fired gunshots during the burglary, but later said they believed the sound of the sledgehammers breaking the jewelry cases may have been confused for gunshots. Guests fled the hotel and casino in the midst of the incident. No one was injured.  Police have taken one suspect into custody.  Portions of the Bellagio were closed Saturday as police continue to investigate.
  • A couple has been indicted on accusations that they murdered their deaf teenage son and then burned down their house to cover up the crime, the Associated Press reported. >> Read more trending news  According to the Chenango County Sheriff’s Office in New York, Ernest F. Franklin II, 35, and his wife, Heather Franklin, 33, of Guilford, New York, were charged with second-degree murder, arson and tampering with physical evidence. The two were indicted Friday on charges of second-degree murder in the death of their adopted son, 16-year-old Jeffrey Franklin, People magazine reported. Following an investigation of a fire on March 1 at the family’s 1,300-square-foot home, the couple was arrested. Investigators believe they set fire to their home to cover up the killing of their son. An autopsy determined he died prior to the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Local law authorities have not said how or when the boy was killed. The Franklins got married in 2011 and adopted Jeffrey six or seven years ago, the sheriff’s office said. According to People magazine, Ernest is an Iraq War veteran. Heather wrote in posts on her Facebook page that she is pregnant. The Franklins are being held without bail. They entered a plea of not guilty. “People are asking themselves, ‘How could this happen?'” Chenango County Sheriff Ernest Cutting Jr. told People magazine. “Certainly for the public here, it’s a mix of anger and frustration and disappointment.” Just days before Heather Franklin was arrested, she posted an update on her Facebook page about how much she missed her son, who she called JR. She also informed friends and family that she and her husband had added their “needs” and “wants” to the CheckedTwice.com Family Gift Registry because they lost everything in the fire. A GoFundMe page was also established, but it has been taken down. The Associated Press reported that police who responded to a 911 call about 1:15 a.m. on March 1 found the Franklin’s house, located about an hour away from Syracuse, engulfed in flames. Jeffrey was inside and unable to escape the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities initially said the cause of the fire appeared to be a wood stove, the residence’s main heating source. “People are wondering how anybody could do something so brutal to a developmentally disabled and handicapped 16-year-old boy,” Cutting told People. “There are a lot of people who would have taken him. There are organizations that would have taken care of him. Why resort to that? … It’s just a terrible, terrible tragedy.”
  • North Carolina police said they have found the bodies of two missing children Saturday morning in Hoke County. >> Read more trending news  Fayetteville police had been searching for 2-year-old Serenity and 4-day-old Genesis Freeman overnight Friday. They were in their father's custody when they disappeared and he reportedly refused to tell police where the children were. Tillman Freeman, 30, was first charged with two counts of child abuse and child neglect.  When their bodies were found in a wooded area off of Highway 211, two counts of first-degree murder were added to those charges. The children's mother was in the hospital at the time the children went missing for an unrelated reason.
  • A residential neighborhood on the westside, near Timquana Park and Timuquana Country Club was the scene of a police and Hazmat investigation Saturday morning.  Jacksonville Sheriff’s Officers responded to Timuquana Rd. because a vehicle was left parked in front of a house with a sign that read, “Danger, stay back hazmat needed”. JSO says there was a strong chemical smell around the car.  JFRD Hazmat was called to the neighborhood and advised citizens to shelter inside their homes.  No evacuation was ordered. One person was found dead inside the car.  JSO Homicide Detectives are now investigating.  

The Latest News Videos