A 12-year-old boy whose mom snapped a photo of him and some friends in the Manhattan Beach, Calif., surf on Friday later noticed what appeared to be a shark in the water.
"My son is the one closest to the shark," June Emmerson told NBC4. "Whatever it is, it was quite a shock to see while reviewing shots of the day on our way home."
Was it a shark?
"Discovery Channel shark expert Jeff Kurr calls it a great white shark, but shark expert David Shiffman believes it was a dolphin," according to CNN.
Kurr told CNN he has no doubt that the photo shows a young great white shark, more than 10 feet long.
According to shark expert Randy Hamilton, CNN reports, juvenile sharks eat fish in southern California and then move north to cooler waters, near San Francisco, and begin to feed on mammals -- sea lions and seals.
Trending on Facebook
- Firefighter arrives at fatal crash, finds daughter is victim
- Woman surprised by kindness trying to sell Raggedy Ann doll
- Florida man, 76, arrested after fight over dating website ends in wife's broken hip
- Woman arrested for stabbing husband with ceramic squirrel
- Woman's touching letter reaches family years after her death