ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
67°
Cloudy
H 71° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    67°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 71° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    64°
    Morning
    Cloudy. H 71° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    74°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 76° L 63°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Virginia couple wins lottery 3 times in a month

We all know the odds are against us when it comes to winning the lottery, but one Virginia couple is making it look easy.

"It is my pleasure to present this check in the amount of $1 million to Zatera and Calvin Spencer of Portsmouth." (Via Virginia Lottery)

That video is from the first time the Spencers won the lottery back on March 12. Yeah, the first time.

Calvin and Zatera got all but one number right on that drawing, meaning they missed out on the $60 million Powerball jackpot. But Calvin seemed happy with his million and had stopped playing, saying, "I just don't have the urge anymore." (Via Virginia Lottery)

Well, that didn't last long. Two weeks later the couple won another $50,000 playing Pick 4, then won another million from a Scratcher ticket the next day. This time around, Calvin announced he's just going to keep playing, saying, "We're not finished yet." (Via The Virginian-Pilot)

The odds of winning just that first game are less than 1 in 5 million, and lottery officials say they've never seen anyone win that many times in just a few weeks.

Kathie Lee and Hoda couldn't manage even one win Monday morning.

"Did I win?"

"No!" (Via NBC / "Today")

Repeat winners have occasionally made headlines. An Arkansas couple won twice in one day last year, making them instant millionaires, too. (Via ABC)

But the least-likely win we could find went to a California couple who, in 2002, won two lotteries within about an hour, totaling more than $17 million. Their odds were 1 in 24 trillion. Trillion! You have higher odds of being hit by a falling satellite. (Via BBCAnalytical Graphics)

Altogether, the Spencers' take-home winnings are around $1.7 million. Looks like Calvin will be able to buy plenty more lottery tickets.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • “Touched By An Angel” actress and music legend Della Reese passed away on Sunday, friends said in a statement to PEOPLE. She was 86. >> Read more trending news “On behalf of her husband, Franklin Lett, and all her friends and family, I share with you the news that our beloved Della Reese has passed away peacefully at her California home last evening surrounded by love. She was an incredible wife, mother, grandmother, friend, and pastor, as well as an award-winning actress and singer. Through her life and work she touched and inspired the lives of millions of people,” Reese’s “Touched by an Angel” co-star Roma Downey said in a statement to PEOPLE. “She was a mother to me and I had the privilege of working with her side by side for so many years on ‘Touched By an Angel.’ I know heaven has a brand new angel this day. Della Reese will be forever in our hearts. Rest In Peace, sweet angel. We love you.” Downey posted to Facebook on Friday, requesting that fans pray for Reese. Before landing the role as Tess on “Touched by an Angel,” Reese was an accomplished singer who rose to national fame in 1957 with her song, “And That Reminds Me.” She had several other hits, including “Not One Minute More,” “And Now,” “Don’t You Know?” and “The Most Beautiful Words.” When she made the move to television, Reese saw success in parts on series including “The Love Boat,” “MacGyver” and “The Young and the Restless.” She also had her own television variety hour called “Della” and was the first black woman to co-host “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.” She went on to play Tess in “Touched by an Angel’s” 1994 debut and continued through the end of the series in 2003. Reese had a near-death experience in 1979 when she suffered a brain aneurysm. The health scare lead her to found her own church, Understanding Principles for Better Living. She is survived by her husband Franklin Lett and children James, Franklin and Dominique. Her daughter Deloreese Owens passed away in 2002. The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.
  • The New York Times officials announced Monday that they were suspending reporter Glenn Thrush in the wake of allegations that the White House reporter made unwanted sexual advances toward multiple women. >> Read more trending news Thrush was accused of inappropriate behavior in a story published Monday by Vox. Thrush’s former colleague, Laura McGann, said he kissed her and put his hand on her thigh while they were at a bar one night after he told the third person in their group to leave them. The incident allegedly took place five years ago, while Thrush was a reporter for Politico. He joined the New York Times in January to cover the Trump administration, according to the newspaper. McGann, who was an editor at Politico when the alleged incident took place, said Thrush later told colleagues that their encounter went the other way and that he rejected advances from her. He reiterated his recollection to Vox, saying in a statement that “the encounter described was consensual, brief, and ended by me.” Three other women recounted similar tales to Vox involving Thrush. They declined to be identified. “I apologize to any woman who felt uncomfortable in my presence, and for any situation where I behaved inappropriately,” Thrush told Vox Sunday in an emailed statement. “Any behavior that makes a woman feel disrespected or uncomfortable is unacceptable.” Officials with the Times said Monday that they were opening an investigation into the alleged incidents, one of which reportedly took place in June, after Thrush joined the newspaper. “The behavior attributed to Glenn in this Vox story is very concerning and not in keeping with the standards and values of The New York Times,” the Times officials said in a statement. “We intend to fully investigate and while we do, Glenn will be suspended.” Thrush said he was “deeply sorry” for an encounter that happened in June, in which a woman said Thrush began kissing her on the street after they had been in a bar. Thrush said he hasn’t had alcohol since the event, which he called “life changing.” Another woman in the story talks about a consensual drunken encounter with Thrush five years ago that left her rattled, and a fourth woman who was surprised by an unexpected kiss. Thrush worked as the chief political correspondent at Politico and as a senior staff writer for Politico Magazine before joining the Times staff. He previously worked at Newsday. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • A woman accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, of groping her during a photo-op in Minnesota in 2010, two years after the former comedian and radio show host was voted into the U.S. Senate, CNN reported on Monday. >> Read more trending news Lindsay Menz, now 33, told CNN that she was posing for a photo with Franken at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair when the senator “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, (Franken) put his hand full-fledged on my rear.” She said the “uncomfortable” incident left her feeling “gross.” 'It wasn't around my waist. It wasn't around my hip or side. It was definitely on my butt,' she told CNN. 'I was like, ‘Oh my God, what's happening?’' In a statement to CNN, Franken said that he felt “badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected,” but he said he didn’t remember taking the photo with her. Menz came forward in the wake of allegations against Franken made by Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden. In a blog post for KABC, Tweeden wrote that Franken, who was a radio host for Air America at the time, forced himself on her as they were practicing a skit he wrote for the tour. Franken has since apologized for the incident. >> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent “I felt disgusted and violated,” Tweeden wrote. “No one saw what happened backstage. I didn’t tell the sergeant major of the Army, who was the sponsor of the tour. I didn’t tell our USO rep what happened.” She said she focused on entertaining the troops and didn’t speak up because she “didn’t want to cause trouble.” “We were in the middle of a war zone, it was the first show of our holiday tour, I was a professional and I could take care of myself,” she wrote. “I told a few of the others on the tour what Franken had done, and they knew how I felt about it.” >> Related: 'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update' Franken called for an investigation into the 2006 incident after apologizing to Tweeden in a statement last week. 'The truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories,' Franken said. 'They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”
  • Authorities are investigating after an Indiana man was found dead Sunday in what officials characterized as an accident during a deer hunting trip in Harrison County. >> Read more trending news Members of 58-year-old Thomas Zimmerman’s party found him unresponsive Sunday night as they were hunting on private property near Elizabeth, officials with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources said in a news release. Indiana conservation officers were called around 6:40 p.m. Investigators said Zimmerman, of Borden, was in an elevated, ladder-type tree stand. Authorities used a rope and pulley system to lower Zimmerman from the tree stand. “Zimmerman died due to a close-range gunshot wound to the head,” Indiana Department of Natural Resources officials said. “No foul play is suspected.” Additional information on the circumstances surrounding the accident was not immediately available. Authorities said Monday that they are awaiting the results of toxicology and other tests.
  • FEMA will keep the Disaster Recovery Center open at FSCJ Kent Campus until this Wednesday due to the increased volume of people last week who visited the center Gerard Hammink, FEMA spokesman, says the center will add extra hours this week because of the larger crowds that turned out last week. He says when you show up, be prepared to spend about an hour there.  The Center is open Monday until 7 PM. Hours the rest of the week will be 9 AM to 7 PM tomorrow and Wednesday from 9 AM til noon.  The U.S. Small Business Administration announces it will be closed on Thanksgiving, but will reopen Friday Nov. 24 at 9 AM

The Latest News Videos