ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
72°
Partly Cloudy
H 73° L 57°
  • cloudy-day
    72°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 73° L 57°
  • cloudy-day
    66°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 73° L 57°
  • cloudy-day
    58°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 79° L 63°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Woman kicked off plane after argument about Israel conflict

A Jewish woman was kicked off a JetBlue flight at Palm Beach International Airport after a heated discussion with another passenger about the conflict in Israel.

Dr. Lisa Rosenberg, a physician from New York, was returning home from vacation boarding a flight from PBIA to John F. Kennedy International Airport. She said she had just finished a phone conversation with a colleague when a woman said she was offended by Rosenberg’s remarks.

“I was saying how it was good Israel found the students that killed the Palestinian teenager and how it was exemplary not making them into heroes, but seeking to publicly try them,” Rosenberg said. “I said any other country would have made these students out to be martyrs and celebrating them.”

Rosenberg added that she had never heard of Palestine seeking the same sort of justice against one of its own citizens.

Israel officials arrested six Jewish suspects Sunday who are believed to have burned to death a Palestinian teenager as revenge for the deaths of three Israeli teens. The teens were found dead in the West Bank. The Palestinian Islamist militant group Hamas has been blamed for the murders of the Israeli teens.

Rosenberg said that after she finished her call, a woman approached her, identified herself as Palestinian and said she was offended by the conversation. Words were exchanged and Rosenberg was asked to leave the plane.

JetBlue confirms Rosenberg was asked to exit the plane and complied.

Rosenberg said the woman used racial slurs, threatened her daughter and demanded Rosenberg be removed because she felt uncomfortable.

However, a representative from the airline said Rosenberg’s story “in no way reflects the report that we have.”

“A crew member may request a customer to deboard and be re-accommodated if the crew member feels as though the safety of the plane or customers on board is impacted, or the customer on board is unable to comply with in-flight instructions or obstructing a crew member’s duties,” said Corporate Communications Manager Morgan Johnston.

Johnston said the report is not available to media and would not give details of what it said. The name of the other woman was not available.

Rosenberg described the incident as an “ugly, racially driven altercation.” She said “voices were raised” and that perhaps she was more vocal during the scene, but that it was because she felt victimized.

A Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy arrived after Rosenberg had been escorted off the plane by airline representatives, spokeswoman Teri Barbera said.

Department of Airports spokeswoman Stephanie Richards said it’s “pretty rare” for a passenger to be kicked off a plane at Palm Beach International.

Obstetrician Myles Kobren, who was on the phone with Rosenberg just before the incident, confirmed Rosenberg’s account of the conversation, but did not hear details of the discussion with the woman.

He said he remembers hearing a woman identify herself as Palestinian and said she didn’t like the comments Rosenberg was making, but then the phone was disconnected.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • A post on the Pentagon’s official Twitter account called for President Donald Trump’s resignation on Thursday when a message was mistakenly re-tweeted, according to officials with the Department of Defense. >> Read more trending news The tweet was quickly deleted, Politico reported. The original message was posted by Ryan Knight, who goes by the Twitter handle @proudresister. Knight pointed to calls for U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore, of Alabama, to step down amid allegations that he sexually assaulted multiple women, and for Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, to resign after recent allegations that he forcibly kissed a woman in 2006 and groped her as she slept. >> Related: Roy Moore's accuser, wife pictured in yearbook under same high school class, report says “The solution is simple,” Knight wrote. “Roy Moore: Step down from the race. Al Franken: Resign from congress. Donald Trump: Resign from the presidency. GOP: Stop making sexual assault a partisan issue. It’s a crime as is your hypocrisy.” Moore has denied any wrongdoing. Franken apologized on Thursday and called for an investigation into the 2006 incident. >> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent The post was shared for a brief time Thursday on the Department of Defense’s official Twitter account. Chief Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said that the re-tweet was posted accidentally. “An authorized operator of the @DeptofDefense’s official Twitter site erroneously retweeted content that would not be endorsed by the Department of Defense,” White said in a tweet Thursday. “The operator caught this error and immediately deleted it.” More than a dozen women accused Trump of sexual misconduct in the run-up to the 2016 presidential election. He emphatically denied the accusations, which dated back to the 1980s. >> Related: Who is accusing Trump of sexual misconduct? The accusations were made after a 2005 video surfaced in which Trump made derogatory comments about women. 'You know, I'm automatically attracted to beautiful women — I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything,” Trump said in the video. “Grab them by the (expletive). You can do anything.' First lady Melania Trump defended her husband's comments, telling Fox News in 2016 that her husband's words were offensive and inappropriate but that they did not reflect his views on women.
  • As the holiday season approaches, many families are preparing to take advantage of school breaks, federal holidays and remaining paid time off by traveling out of state to see family and friends and desirable international destinations. But according to the U.S. Department of State, prospective travelers might want to reconsider any plans to journey across the pond. >> Related: 17 states granted extension for REAL ID compliance; Driver's license OK for domestic travel  In a travel advisory issued Thursday, government officials warned citizens of a heightened risk of terrorist attacks throughout Europe, particularly during the holiday season. The advisory urged American travelers who go abroad to be cautious at holiday festivals and events.  Officials cited two terrorist attacks that occurred in Europe last year -- one in which a man drove a truck into a German Christmas market, killing 12 people and injuring dozens more, and another in which a gunman shot and killed 39 people during a New Year’s celebration in Istanbul, Turkey. >> Read more trending news  “Extremists continue to focus on tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls and local government facilities as viable targets. In addition, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, high-profile events, educational institutions, airports and other soft targets remain priority locations for possible attacks,” the advisory reads. “U.S. citizens should exercise additional vigilance in these and similar locations.” The advisory is in effect until Jan. 31. Americans traveling abroad can always check the website of the U.S. Embassy or consulate in a destination city for any recent security messages. >> Related: Paris plans to ban all gas cars by 2030
  • The 45th American Music Awards ceremony is set for Sunday in Los Angeles, and if the past is any indication, you can expect a night with a few surprising moments.  Remember Garth Brooks declining the award, or the time Pat Boone dressed in leather? Yeah, it’s likely to be that kind of night. The show will be broadcast live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. Here’s what you need to know about the show. What time: The show begins at 8 p.m. ET What channel: The AMAs will be broadcast live on ABC. Who is hosting: Tracee Ellis Ross, star of “black-ish,” is hosting. What about a pre-show: What would a music awards show be without a pre-show? AJ Gibson, Marc Malkin, Laura Marano and Oliver Trevena will host the official pre-show, “AMAs Red Carpet Live presented by Security Benefit.” The two-hour pre-show will stream live from the Microsoft Theater beginning at 6 p.m. ET. You can watch the show on Twitter. Find it here. live.twitter.com/amas or via @AMAs. You can also watch “E! Live from the Red Carpet” from 6-8 p.m. ET. on the E! Network. Who has the most nominations: Bruno Mars has the most nominations this year – eight. Who is nominated for Artist of the Year: The Chainsmokers, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran are up for the award. Who is up for Video of the Year: Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee ('Despacito'), Bruno Mars ('That's What I Like') and Ed Sheeran ('Shape of You') are the nominees. For a complete list of nominees, click here. Who is performing: Here is a list of those scheduled to perform: Alessia Cara Alesso BTS Christina Aguilera  Kelly Clarkson  Florida Georgia Line Niall Horan Selena Gomez Imagine Dragons Lady Gaga Nick Jonas Khalid Demi Lovato  Shawn Mendes P!nk Portugal. The Man Diana Ross Hailee Steinfeld watt Zedd Anything special: Diana Ross, mother of host Tracee Ellis Ross, is both performing and receiving a lifetime achievement award.
  • STORY: Maddie Clifton sister on killer's apology: 'It still doesn't change anything' 10:32 a.m. Judge Waddell Wallace said this case 'warrants a life sentence.' Says 'this is a sad day for me. I wish you well.'  #JoshPhillips sentenced to life in prison. @ActionNewsJax — Bridgette Matter (@bridgetteANjax) November 17, 2017 10:07 a.m. Judge Waddell Wallace says 'It is unconstitutional to sentence a juvenile to mandatory life. This is a horrific crime ... it has an extraordinary effect on the community.' Wallace says Phillips had a 'cold detachment' after killing Maddie. @ActionNewsJax — Bridgette Matter (@bridgetteANjax) November 17, 2017 10:01 a.m. The hearing has begun. | Watch live  UPDATE: @BridgetteAnJax says the hearing will begin around 10 a.m.  Phillips' attorney is asking for 40 years, Phillips could be resentenced to to life in prison. @ActionNewsJax — Bridgette Matter (@bridgetteANjax) November 17, 2017   Convicted Jacksonville killer Joshua Phillips is expected to learn his fate Friday — for the second time.  Phillips is set to be resentenced for the 1998 murder of his neighbor, 8-year-old Maddie Clifton.  Phillips was 14 when he stabbed Clifton to death and hid her body under his bed. I remember this nightmare when it happened. The many people who came out & walked the neighborhood looking for Maddie. Phillips was there & watched. He was only 14. Today is his rese tending. No doubt this opens old wounds for so many in Jax. Watch us live for the latest... https://t.co/lXwT8ORiyI — DawnDLOLopez (@DawnANjax) November 17, 2017 During a court hearing in August, Phillips took the stand and apologized directly to the family.  “I did something horrible, and i am so sorry,” Phillips said.  “It was good to hear,” said Jessie Clifton, Maddie’s sister. “It still doesn't change anything, but I think it needed to be said.” Phillips is currently serving a life sentence. A recent Supreme Court ruling states mandatory life sentences for juveniles without parole are unconstitutional, which means felons like Phillips can be resentenced. Phillips’ case will be up for review again in six years, even if a judge does not change his life sentence.   Convicted killer Joshua Phillips is expected to learn his fate today. I'll have the details on today's re-sentencing hearing, at 6:30 on @ActionNewsJax. pic.twitter.com/vg3ivCHljb — Christy Turner (@ChristyANJax) November 17, 2017
  • NASA, in partnership with the NOAA, will launch a satellite Saturday that will help improve weather forecasts. >> Read more trending news The satellite launch was scheduled for earlier this week, but was postponed twice, once because of high winds and once because of technical difficulties. The launch for the JPSS-1 satellite is scheduled at 4:47 a.m. Saturday, according to NASA. >> Related: NASA postpones JPSS-1 weather satellite launch A live stream of the launch will be available on NASA’s website starting at 4:15 a.m. The satellites will help improve NOAA forecasts for the three to seven day time frame. The data collected from the JPSS is fed into the numerical forecast models to help improve them. The satellites will also collect atmospheric measurements, ground conditions and ocean conditions like vegetation, hurricane intensity and atmospheric moisture.  The JPSS-1 will be launch from Vandenburg Air Force Base in California pending proper flight conditions. The launch was originally scheduled for Tuesday. >> Related: NASA scrubs launch of JPSS-1 weather satellite again This satellite is a polar orbiting satellite, which means it will orbit the earth from the one pole to the other passing the equator 14 times a day. Full coverage of the planet will then be provided twice a day. JPSS-2 is planned to launch in 2021, and JPSS-3 and JPSS-4 are anticipated to launch in 2026 and 2031.

The Latest News Videos