ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
heavy-rain-night
76°
Cloudy
H 87° L 75°
  • heavy-rain-night
    76°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 87° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    76°
    Morning
    Cloudy. H 87° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    83°
    Afternoon
    Mostly Cloudy. H 84° L 76°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Malnourished 10-year-old boy rescued from Ontario home

Authorities in London, Ontario have pressed charges against a couple after finding a malnourished 10-year-old boy in their home, living in horrible conditions and covered in his own waste. 

"The master bedroom — an alleged jail cell for a 10-year-old boy for as long as two years. ... The boy had come to Canada four years ago from an unnamed Asian country without his parents." (Via CTV)

The boy was found after an anonymous tip to Children's Aid Society of London and Middlesex. CTVreports the homeowners were called to the scene and when police entered the home, they found the boy living in so-called "squalid" conditions. 

"The bedroom had food waste, feces and urine on the floor and on the bed. ... The child was confused, of course, and upset but the child is doing quite well now." (Via London Free Press)

Local outlets report the boy's guardians are his aunt and uncle. Neighbors told reporters they initially saw the boy when he first started living with the couple, but figured he wasn't living there anymore because they didn't see him. 

The boy was reportedly fed fast food twice a day. The couple's 9-year-old daughter was also living with the family but CBC reports she was fed properly and there's no evidence she was confined in the house. 

The couple has been charged with forcible confinement and failing to provide the necessities of life. Although the boy was malnourished, authorities say they're optimistic about his recovery. The boy said all he wants now is a good meal and a chance to go to school. 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • Nearly $10 million in grants and tax rebates have been approved by the Jacksonville City Council, in the latest effort to breathe new life in to Downtown Jacksonville. Earlier this year, the Downtown Investment Authority signed on to plans to redevelop the Laura Street Trio and Barnett Building. The developers expect to spend around $90 million on the overall project, and in exchange, they sought two $4 million Downtown Preservation and Revitalization Trust Fund grants- one for the Trio and one for the Barnett building- as well as $1.8 million in what’s called a REV grant, which is a rebate on property taxes brought in as a result of the new construction. The DIA approved that request, and on Tuesday, the City Council followed suit.  The plan is to renovate the dormant Downtown buildings, while also adding parking and a new hotel. The Laura Street Trio- collectively the Brisbee Building, Florida Life Building, and Marble Bank Building- would get a signature restaurant, a rooftop bar, a small market, and retail office space, among other things. The Barnett Building would get apartments and commercial office space.  The Council vote appropriates one of the $4 million grants, but commits the City to appropriating the balance in the future. Paying out the funding is subject to the completion of the construction work.  The Mulasky Group and SouthEast Group are behind the plans for the project.
  • A Pennsylvania judge has upheld the sentence of a Bucks County man who pleaded guilty to an attempted rape charge in 2013. >> Read more trending news Frank Yeager, 33, was sentenced to prison for up to 20 years and later appealed, contending that his lawyer did not question whether his confession was legal. Yeager revealed he regarded his search for potential rape victims as “full time work,” police said. He wrote in a note, “I truly enjoy the hunt and cannot wait for my prize.” He compiled a list with more than 200 names, addresses and personal information about targets, according to Lehigh Valley Live, and was was fixated on raping real estate agents. Judge H. Geoffrey Moulton Jr. upheld Yeager’s sentence and portrayed him as a full-blown psychopath who was obsessed with rape, Penn Live reported. >> Related: Lawyer recorded telling rape victim Trump will deport her if she testified, indictment says Yeager plotted for five months to rape a real estate agent by luring her to a property, and even waited in the home for her with the lights off. Read more here.
  • The body of a woman found found Monday inside a bathroom at a Walmart in Oklahoma has been identified, but police still aren’t sure how long she was there. >> Read more trending news Sand Springs police have identified the woman as 29-year-old Katherine Caraway from Muskogee. According to police, employees assumed that the family bathroom was out of order because it was locked. Employees placed an out of order sign on the door Friday and it remained there throughout the weekend. On Monday, employees unlocked the bathroom door and found the woman.  Sand Springs Police say their preliminary investigation shows nothing suspicious about the woman's death. They do not know why she was in Sand Springs.  Walmart issued the following statement about the discovery:   'We are saddened by this. We don't know all the facts right now, but we are working closely with local law enforcement to provide what information we have that might be useful. Because this is an ongoing investigation, we must refer you to them for additional information.' 
  • A Middleburg man was arrested after witnesses say he pointed a bow and arrow at his neighbor's new boyfriend. That woman told Action News Jax she's frustrated law enforcement didn't take action sooner. 'He was always a very nice person, but he lost his mind,' she said. She asked not to be identified out of fear of retaliation. Gary Ruddlesden lives with his mother right around the corner from her. Clay County deputies arrested Ruddlesden after witnesses said he pointed a bow and arrow at the woman's new boyfriend after an argument through the fence. 'Bow and arrow sounds kind of like a kid thing, almost. But it's like a hunting bow and arrow,' she said. Ruddlesden's mother said her son just wanted to scare them, not hurt them. 'He's not a bad person,' said Ruddlesden's mother. Ruddlesden told his mother and friends that the woman is his ex-girlfriend, but she said they were just friends. Clay County Sheriff's Office records show the woman called deputies out to her home three times in the past month with complaints that Ruddlesden was harassing her. 'Since May 26, I've probably gotten over 300 texts. So when the police came out, you know, you try to point out the threatening ones - that he was going to kill my animals,' she said. The reports said deputies told her to block his number. She said she hopes this will be a wake-up call to law enforcement that they need to take women's complaints of harassment more seriously. Ruddlesden is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, a third-degree felony. He is being held on $15,000 bond. Although Ruddlesden has had a few run-ins with the law in the past, including pleading guilty to trafficking drugs, court records show this was his first time being arrested for a violent crime in Clay County.
  • A fireworks recall is underway just in time for the Fourth of July. >> Read more trending news TNT Fireworks is recalling Red White & Blue Smoke Fireworks, which were sold at Walmart, Target and other stores. The product can explode unexpectedly, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. “The Blue Ammo Smoke effect could rapidly dispel from the bottom of the tube in an explosive manner posing a burn hazard,” the company said on its website. The pyrotechnics were sold in four states, Ohio, Illinois, Vermont and Wisconsin, between May and this month. The company said it is offering a refund or a replacement for those who bought the defective fireworks.

The Latest News Videos