NOW:

The 2017 WOKV Care-A-Thon Continues. Donate at 855-636-6877

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day
90°
Sunny
H 94° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    90°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 94° L 78°
  • clear-day
    78°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 94° L 78°
  • cloudy-day
    90°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 78°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

College Basketball
Durand Scott’s career-high 32 points lift Miami past N.C. State 81-71, into ACC title game
Close

Durand Scott’s career-high 32 points lift Miami past N.C. State 81-71, into ACC title game

Durand Scott’s career-high 32 points lift Miami past N.C. State 81-71, into ACC title game
Photo Credit: Chuck Liddy
Miami guard Durand Scott (1) goes in for two against North Carolina State in a semfinal of the ACC Tournament at the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina, Saturday, March 16, 2013. Miami defeated N.C. State, 81-71. (Chuck Liddy/Raleigh News & Observer/MCT)

Durand Scott’s career-high 32 points lift Miami past N.C. State 81-71, into ACC title game

All season long, Durand Scott played the part of second banana in the University of Miami’s backcourt to Shane Larkin.

But in Saturday’s ACC tournament semifinal game, Scott took on the leading role by scoring a career-high 32 points while leading the top-seeded Hurricanes to an 81-71 victory over No. 5 seed North Carolina State at the Greensboro Coliseum.

The victory sends UM (26-6) into Sunday’s championship game against North Carolina in a matchup pitting conference royalty and upstart newcomer. The Tar Heels (24-9) beat Maryland 79-76 in Saturday’s other semifinal.

North Carolina has won 17 ACC tournament championships, second only to Duke’s 19 titles. Miami is playing in the first conference title game in program history.

“It’s kind of surreal,” UM senior forward Kenny Kadji said. “How many people picked us to win this tournament? Like two, I think. And now we’re in the championship game with a chance to win it. It’s just unbelievable.”

For that, the ninth-ranked Hurricanes can thank Scott, a New York City native who knocked down 12 of 18 shots, including 5 of 8 from 3-point range. The 12 field goals and five 3-pointers were career bests for Scott.

Shane who?

Well, not exactly. Larkin, the lightning-quick sophomore point guard and runner-up for ACC Player of the Year, contributed his own impressive stat line Saturday, recording 23 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three steals in the win.

But Saturday really belonged to Scott. He opened by scoring 14 of the Hurricanes’ first 19 points, surpassing his season average of 12.8 points less than 12 minutes into the game.

Scott, a physical 6-foot-5, 203-pounder, is known for his aggressive drives to the basket and not so much for his outside shooting. Coming into Saturday’s game, Scott was shooting a pedestrian 32.5 percent (25-for-80) on 3-point attempts. That might be a surprise to the Wolfpack, who watched as Scott drained five of UM’s six 3-pointers, including one with 11:14 left in the game after N.C. State cut Miami’s advantage from 19 points to six.

Sparked by Scott’s 3-pointer, UM built its lead back to double digits and didn’t allow N.C. State (24-10) to creep any closer until the closing minutes.

“I think I missed my first two [3-point attempts], but after that I told myself, ‘When I’m open, shoot it,’ ” said Scott, picked last week as the ACC’s Defensive Player of the Year. “That’s what Shane tells me all the time, and when I don’t shoot it, he gets upset at me. So there were two I shot and once they went in, I said, ‘I got to shoot it every time before he gets upset.’ ”

The Wolfpack got to within single digits in the final two minutes, but four consecutive free throws from Larkin ended any hopes of winning the program’s first tournament championship since 1987.

N.C. State entered Saturday’s game having won five of six games and had most of the crowd on its side, but a lack of production from the team’s top players — second-team All-ACC selection Lorenzo Brown was held without a field goal — and the combination of Scott and Larkin proved too formidable to overcome.

“We stayed poised,” Hurricanes senior center Julian Gamble said. “We knew we were going to win this game.”

UM has beaten North Carolina twice this season, and a third win will further the Hurricanes’ claim for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament that begins next week. The tournament field will be announced Sunday night.

”We’re a very hungry team, and we want more and more,” Larkin said. ”We’re not satisfied with winning the regular season. We want the ACC championship, and then eventually we want to make the national championship game. We’re hungry, and we’re not going to settle for anything less.”

In North Carolina’s semifinal win over Maryland on Saturday, Dexter Strickland and Reggie Bullock scored 15 points apiece for the third-seeded Tar Heels. P.J. Hairston added 13 despite a heavily wrapped and injured left (non-shooting) hand.

Alex Len scored 20 points to lead seventh-seeded Maryland (22-12), which knocked off No. 2 Duke less than 24 hours earlier in the quarterfinals and nearly pulled off another upset.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned from his post Friday morning, six months and one day after taking the position. >> Read more trending news In a message posted to Twitter Friday afternoon, Spicer said he will continue to serve as press secretary through August. >> Related: Sean Spicer resigns: A look at his 6 months as White House press secretary “It's been an honor (and) a privilege to serve (President Donald Trump and) this amazing country,” he wrote. Deputy White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders will take over his duties, newly named White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci said at a news briefing Friday. Spicer’s resignation came in opposition to Scaramucci’s appointment, The New York Times reported.
  • The teenagers who police said did nothing to help a drowning man and instead recorded the incident and mocked him may now face charges, Cocoa police said.. At first, the suspects were not going to be charged in connection with 31-year-old Jamel Dunn’s death. >> Read more trending news Investigators were told by the State Attorney’s Office that while there was no moral justification for the July 9 incident at Bracco Pond Park, there wasn’t sufficient evidence to support a criminal prosecution under Florida statutes. Related: Teens recorded video, laughed while man drowned Dunn’s body wasn’t found until July 14 when a passerby saw his body floating in the pond. Police announced Friday that they would be able to recommend charges against the teens under a Florida statute saying that a person who witnesses a death must report it to a medical examiner. Police said it’s a misdemeanor charge that hasn’t been applied in a case like this. “When we initially reviewed this case it was determined there were no laws broken as the teens were not directly involved with the death,” said Chief Mike Cantaloupe. “Further research of the statutes and consultation with the State Attorney’s Office yielded the decision to move forward with charges under this statute. It’s our belief that this law has never been enforced in a scenario like this, but we feel it could be applicable.” Link: Fundraiser for Jamel Dunn’s family The State Attorney’s Office will decide if a case is filed. In the video, police said a group of teenage boys can be heard yelling things like, “We’re not going to help you and you never should have gotten in there,” as Dunn screamed for help and struggled in the water. Police said video evidence showed that Dunn went into the water on his own. A neighbor’s security camera showed Dunn scaling a fence and intentionally going into the pond, police said. “Regardless of the circumstances surrounding his decision to enter the water that day, there is absolutely no justification for what the teens did,” Cantaloupe said. “Pursuing criminal charges is a way to hold them accountable for their own actions.” One of the teenagers mentioned marijuana in the nearly three-minute video.  The identities of the teens have not been released. 
  • A Scottish man will head back to Jacksonville to face a murder charge, ending a lengthy extradition battle, according to the BBC.  A release from the European Court of Human Rights states Phillip Harkins’ final appeal against legal extradition was rejected Monday morning.  Court documents show in 2000, Harkins was indicted in Jacksonville for first-degree murder and attempted robbery with a firearm. The crime itself occurred in 1999. He was then arrested in the UK in 2003, prompting the United States to seek extradition.  Harkins argued his human rights would be breached if sent back. Harkins complained he risked the death penalty or a sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. Monday, the court declared the complaint inadmissible. In the release from the European Court of Human Rights they explained, “The Court concluded that the facts of the case did not disclose any risk that Mr. Harkins would suffer a flagrant denial of justice. Nor indeed had Mr. Harkins himself suggested that the trial process in the USA would be unfair.” We have reached out to state and federal authorities to see what comes next for Harkins.
  • The man believed to be responsible for a 1999 murder in Jacksonville has now been booked in to the Duval County Jail, almost two decades later. We first told you earlier this month that 38-year-old Phillip Harkins was denied his final appeal against extradition for the murder and armed robbery with a firearm. He was arrested in the UK in 2003, and the fight for extradition began.  Harkins is from Scotland, according to his arrest report. Duval County Jail records show he was taken in to custody Thursday night, currently being held for failure to appear on the charges. He’s scheduled to appear in court next on August 2nd.
  • White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned Friday morning, six months and one day after he first started addressing reporters on behalf of President Donald Trump. >> Read more trending news Spicer was well-known for his often combative exchanges with journalists gathered for the daily White House press briefing. The briefings were considered must-see television, but in recent weeks they’ve moved to an audio-only format as Spicer took on a more behind-the-scenes role. >> Related: Sean Spicer resigns, Sarah Huckabee Sanders named next White House press secretary Here’s a look back at some of Spicer’s most well-known moments: That time he misspoke and made up a terror attack in Atlanta: Shortly after becoming press secretary, Spicer drew raised brows for referencing a terror attack in Atlanta in an effort to highlight the Trump administration’s need to act on Islamic terrorism. >> Related: Sean Spicer says he 'clearly meant Orlando' after citing nonexistent Atlanta terror attack “I don’t think you have to look any further than the families of the Boston Marathon, in Atlanta, in San Bernardino to ask if we can go further,” Spicer said in January. “There’s obviously steps that we can and should be taking, and I think the president is going to continue do to what he can to make sure that this country is as safe as possible.' Of course, no such terror attack has ever occurred in Atlanta. The city has seen attacks at least twice before, in 1958 and 1996. However, the terrorists in those cases were not Muslim. Spicer later explained in an email to ABC News that he “clearly meant Orlando,” referencing the June 2016 Pulse nightclub shooting. That time he kind of explained Trump’s use of “covfefe”: The president is well-known for speaking his mind on Twitter, even when his thoughts run contrary to statements made by his own administration. In an early morning tweet in May, Trump wrote that “despite the constant negative press covfefe.” >> Related: Sean Spicer's simple response to Trump's 'covfefe' tweet No, covfefe is not a word, and no, Trump never explained what he meant. But Spicer didn’t see anything wrong with the message, which was described as “incoherent” and sparked mockery across social media. “The president and a small group of people know exactly what he meant,” Spicer claimed. That time he tried to say Hitler never used chemical weapons: Spicer, apparently forgetting the entire Holocaust, claimed at a news briefing in April that “someone as despicable as Hitler … didn’t even sink to using chemical weapons.” The comment came as he tried to highlight the horror of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s use of sarin gas on civilians. But Spicer’s comments drew quick rebukes on social media and from reporters in the room. >> Related: Spicer comments on Hitler, chemical weapons become Twitter fodder  He attempted to explain himself. '(Hitler) was not using the gas on his own people the same way that Assad is doing,' he said. 'He brought them into the Holocaust center, I understand that.' As you can probably guess, people did not like Spicer calling concentration camps “Holocaust centers” either. That time he tried to explain the ridiculousness of the Trump-Russia controversy with salad dressing: Apparently frustrated over continued scrutiny amid investigations into whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia to win the 2016 election, Spicer got short in March with April Ryan, a reporter for American Urban Radio Networks. >> Related: Sean Spicer gets spicy with reporter April Ryan: 'Stop shaking your head'  'If the president puts Russian salad dressing on his salad tonight, somehow that's a Russian connection,' Spicer said. He later demanded that Ryan stop shaking her head. That time he accidentally wore his U.S. flag lapel pin upside-down: >> Related: Sean Spicer spotted with upside down lapel pin at press briefing That time he said President Donald Trump had the biggest inauguration audience ever: Who can forget Spicer’s first news conference as press secretary, when he admonished reporters for comparing images of President Donald Trump’s inauguration to photos of President Barack Obama’s? >> Related: 'Alternative facts' like differing weather reports, Sean Spicer claims 'Photographs of the inaugural proceedings were intentionally framed in a way, in one particular tweet, to minimize the enormous support that had gathered on the National Mall,' Spicer said on Jan. 21 at a terse news conference. 'That was the largest audience to witness an inauguration, period. Both in person and around the globe.' Multiple fact-checking groups subsequently rated Spicer's claim anywhere from unprovable to outright false. Politifact gave his claim a 'Pants on Fire' rating, the category used by the group to single out what it determines to be the most flagrant lies.

The Latest News Videos